The Car Thread

MadManMike

One of my dads works astras engines failed at 70k, we got a free motor from a garage abit further along who were scrapping a rotten astra van due to rot, it had done 230k. Swapped the motor, Odometer in the astra now reads 170k and still going strong! Smokey, but strong.

Some taxi driver who used to go to the garage I work at had a mondeo on 500k. Ford gave him a people carrier to test for a year.

I don't know what happened to it after that though.

Also, that 106, without trying to offend you it don't look that good condition wise anyway. Just take the door card etc off and kick the dent out and pocket the cash or just get a door from a breakers yard for like £40...

Biblical knocking from the rear end in the Daihatsu resolved. Shock absorber dead (closely resembles a bicycle pump), what's amusing is that the spring was welded to the chassis on one end, and to the shock absorber on the other :bow: It's too short, broke off and was banging against the strut tower. Anyway, new shocks are like 15 quid, so going to get two.

Smupdate.

New filter.

20130111_193522-1.jpg

Milltek, with an inch out of the centre section.

20130113_105526.jpg20130113_134528.jpg

Road Angel.

20130113_132221.jpg

I have scored a great deal on a new product which will hopefully push a K03s even further :) Super size SFS turbo intake pipe, which has shown 4/5bhp over a nornal silicon intake pipe and roughly 11 bhp on an OEM pipe.

I can't wait for it to turn up :)

Edited by Pashley26
  • Like 1

I can prove on an airflow basis that the filter has added about 4g/s, what that will relate to in power I do not know. Using the old rule of g/s of airflow/0.8 it would mean 5bhp. Whilst that 5bhp might mean f**k all to peak power because the airflow is obviously measured as the RPM rises and the airflow increases. It's all very confusing, and it's making me think twice about what I've been relying on to gauge my cars performance. It's within 1 or 2% though.

Bill from Badger 5 noted on a test he did that whilst g/s of airflow at the MAF is directly relatable to power when divided by 0.8 he did have issues using filters with a velocity stack and that in his test a filter and velocity stack which logged lower airflow by 1g/s gave 2bhp more than the second most powerful filter which didn't have a velocity stack and gave the second highest airflow.

In short, a velocity stack can potentially trick a MAF due to the air on the outside of the sensor body traveling faster and being denser than the air in the center of the MAF which is accurately readable.

Here's a quick video I just took after deleting my PCV system from the intake pipe, and moving around my dump valve again. (to annoy Seamons)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXvtnBtBYfA

So my PCV system is now totally deleted from the intake pipe, and is venting into the engine bay. I'll run it down the back soon.

Why won't youtube embed?! RARGHHH

Edited by Pashley26

I just cannot wait for Saturday. It's going to be the most epic day in months. In short - we have a deserted airfield all to ourselves from 10am till midnight. There's LOTS of snow and there's going to be more. There will be catering with 2 meals, about 15 other cars, 2-3 timed special stages. And I'm taking the Daihatsu on the trailer which means I'll be able to thrash it (and learn to properly use a 4x4) until there's no more fuel left in the tank and then drift around in the daily driver until I get bored (total fuel capacity is 175L on that car :bow: ). Can't wait, I'm so f**king excited!!!

• Like 2

In short, a velocity stack can potentially trick a MAF due to the air on the outside of the sensor body traveling faster and being denser than the air in the center of the MAF which is accurately readable.

^^^this is absolute bollocks. but I've already told him that.

Glad you like your filter though. Rainbird should get one, for how silly cheap they are!

Rainbird was going to have my Jetex and shield if he wanted it.

I swear Bill did say something like that?

I am going to try again for the video but on my tablet. See if it works...

No.

Edited by Pashley26

Yeah, still looking into things at the mo but may throw on something cheap in the meantime; Ideally I'd like to keep everything as "OEM+" looking/sounding as possible, but of course that's only possible up to a limit :P

Whooshy dump sounds don't really appeal to me, so if I can get a little boost in power with a Green Cotton panel or something that might be the way I end up going (I'm not chasing big numbers remember, though it'd be nice to get to the 220ish region). For now though, for the sake of a tenner or so the Jetex may be the short term option.

Yeah - when the time comes for me to drop some money on the thing and do it properly I'll be sticking to black hoses wherever I can to keep things looking as standard as possible.

Don't suppose either of you gents can remember which car people tend ot pinch the coolant/water cover from at all to tidy up the left hand side of the bay at all can you? Remember seeing someone with one on a while back but can't for the life of me remember who/what it was from :P
Like this, but does the full front-back of the LHS of the bay rather than just the front half.

Edit; Seamons, have you got a 'build' thread anywhere at all?

S3 or a TT.

If you want proper OEM+ f**k Seamons' car, it's all about Sam Bryant.

Winner, cheers man. Shall keep half an eye out for a cover and shall also go and hunt for Sam's car for a read, looks pretty tidy!

And didn't mean Seamons as an OEM+ setup, I've just not actually seen anything other than his front n/s headlight and was intrigued :P

Sam's engine bay is nothing like standard lol...it has the aforementioned tacky coloured hoses, and looks like a multicoloured mish-mash! Tufty's S3 was actually the inspiration to do my airbox how I did it, although I still have the bottom in mine, so its like a proper enclosed filter.

Luke, I actually haven't :( Never really had the enthausiasm to do a build thread. When I was doing it originally, nothing I was doing seemed "worthy" enough of a build thread, and its just sort of plodded on from there. Now I'm further into it, I've done shit loads to it...but on a forum, it would be "just another LCR", so seemed kinda pointless doing a write up on a fairly generic car.

Yeah, I really wouldn't have called that Leon OEM+, it's just modified. Tuftty's car's very OEM+ though, and very cool. I always think that the test for something to be OEM+ is that if someone who knew a bit about cars, but had never seen that model of car before could believe it was standard, or at least only lightly modified.

I'm not so keen on the 'stage tuning' thing either, but I must say, with the Audi stuff it does seem to have quite a defined meaning, and is easy to follow. Still sound like a tit saying it though :P What's my Scirocco then? Must be about stage 8.5 or something? :lol:

The snow means it looks like I'm not going to make it to Bristol tonight for a weekend of playing with cars, this makes me sad.