The Car Thread

MadManMike

So... those Aero wipers...

They look nice...

Buuuuuut - they don't work. Passenger side barely touches the glass, as a result it leaves a kind of rounded diamond shape of untouched dirt left behind. If the "old" style ones worked, why do these not?

Because they weren't designed for that type of blade. Get Bora aero arms, much much much better

Just got back having been away for the weekend, Adam, yeah, you're right that they tend to aim for a slightly longer roll-couple up front, although it depends on the car, as a lot have a lower front CofG than rear, so can end up with a similar roll couple, but with a skewed roll-axis.

With the insurance thing, do you guys declare your catch tank setup or carbon canister removal? Because both are technically just as illegal as the decat.

I am with Brentacre yeah, but I'm 98% sure my policy does allow stripping/stickers/semi-slicks, and I was told by them that they do have to know the up to date spec of the car at all times, but that there's no admin fees for changes to the mods, just a quick phone call. That said, I've been on the same policy for 4 years now, so it might well have changed in the mean time.

Dads friend has a Ford Mondeo 2004 130PS 2L diesel 100k miles for sale for £250. Tax for 6 weeks, no MOT. Crack in drivers side lower part of the screen, likely to need replacement. Rear pads and discs need replacing. Thats it as far as I can tell for MOT, car feels tight to drive and runs well. Interior is a little mucky but easily cleaned, just muddy rather than stained. Exterior is tatty but could look presentable with a jolly good clean up, several marks and dents, bonnet is heavily dented and would ideally need to be replaced but it functions.

Worked out that with parts, MOT and tax it will set me back £550 in total.

]http://s189.photobucket.com/user/pauloliver_photos/media/P5260063_zps84d9c96d.jpg.html]P5260063_zps84d9c96d.jpg[/

URL]

What do you guys think?

I'd avoid this one, Unless its been really well looked after, which I doubt judging by the price tag. And at 100k, its gonna need a clutch and flywheel, which is a £700 job. Trust me, I have a 54 plate zetec s tdci. Eats front tyres and rear wheel bearings. I've had to do the power steering pump, and the clutch, and the rear wheel bearings, which are a full bolt on unit like a trailer wheel hub.

But its a good car, loads of room, comfy as hell, goes like stink. I've had mine 5 years now, and apart from the clutch and power steering pump, nothing major has gone wrong without. It smokes a bit when you are tramping on, but they all do it :)

Me and my dad have started painting the M3 today, and just as the first coat of clear was on, we had a storm. The amount of crap that is now on that coat is unreal.

So I'm guessing very fine wet and dry tomorrow to remove the seeds and fluff and place the clear coat again? This isn't acrylic paint, not sure what it's called in english. Just normal colour + transparent.

The repairs aren't perfect and there's still a few panels to fix but this is after all a competition car so it's more than adequate. And so far has only cost me 60 quid + quite a lot of fun.

klart.jpg

dsc04331d.jpg

Also ordered AST 5100 suspension.

• Like 1

Today when I tried to get out of the car the door release handle made a ping noise and failed. Took the door card off and it turns out the door lock cable has snapped. A replacement on ebay is only £6 but I will ring the local stealerships tomorrow and check in case they have one in stock. Currently the door card is in the boot and to open the car from the inside I have to use some pliers to pull the snapped cable :lol:

Oh, shit. Sorry, I thought you were taking the piss? Are you? I'm not sure.

The garden umbrella has really tickled me, I'm not sure if you're serious or not.

I wasn't, but I can see why it looks ridiculous :P

It was the best I could find to protect the quarter panel against crap and rain. It didn't work though.

Haha loving the umbrella. You could possibly get away with very finely sanding the area and then laquering again but it's likely you'll be able to see where you flatted through after so I advise painting and laquering the panel again to get a decent job.

Golf if playing up again. Really starting to tire with it. It runs like crap at times with the revs jumping up and down when you try to drive it and is a struggle to stop it from stalling. I think it's fuel starvation at the moment. Maybe a nipped up fuel line cause the other day I put an air line down the fuel line and it kinda popped like it cleared a blockage. Ran fine after that but bout a mile or so after same problem returned.

Edited by Duncy H

I know there's a lot to be said for Jardo baiting, but come on Dan, really, declare a decat? what planet are you on pal?

I suggest you jump on the first elevator back down to planet earth, and leave your crazy ideas up up there on the moral high ground.

it's a 'Sports exhaust' with a downpipe if you like, but you can't declare a decat.

I think you completely misunderstood the reasoning why I was being a twat on purpose haha.

It could have been about absolutely anything but it's the fact he would have done the exact same to someone else, but because it's AlmightyJardo he always has to be in the right.

Anyway, that's done with. Twats will be twats :)

Insuring the GF on my shitbox today as I turned 21 yesterday, should be a laugh. Anyone know any good cheap repair shops just for future reference haha ;)

It has an inline filter on which doesn't seem to be passing much fuel through at all.

And I blew from the tank end towards the engine.

Remember when I told you the fuel line that runs through the floor got cut whilst fixing that wishbone...

...Yeah, compressor was probably a bad idea :P