The Car Thread

MadManMike

You'd be doing fairly well to get a true 55mpg average in a 130bhp 1.9 diesel of the same era, let alone a 270bhp (I think?) 4wd 1.8 petrol turbo.

Nah. Regularly get in the fifties in Soph's without consciously trying. In a run making an actual effort it's a fairly simple task.

Jardo, may well have to do that and film it just out of interest. I want to see George eating headgear :P

Should be reasonably easy to film too. Fill up to the first click, reset mileage, do a 55 mile journey, return to pump, fill up to first click...see resulting consumption.

I'm pretty gosh-darn confident I won't be consuming any garments :P

To be fair, if he's going to do it in any car it'll be the golf. It must be a good 200kg plus lighter, and no transmission losses to contend with.

Go on Jardo...and no cheating ;)

Some of us like to fit more than just ourselves in our cars though, and consequently driving in a kid's toy car won't really cut it ;)

Coming from bikes it's like a van. :lol: It is comical though. I have the seat as far back as it will go and have to fold my legs in and I'm just over 5'10".

What rpm does it sit at doing 70 Muel? Just changed from a 1.6 to a 1.4 and it's running about 750/1,000 higher to hold 70

No idea, doesn't have a rev counter.

That was probably aimed at me, to be fair.

Anyway, I drive a toy car because it attracts kids ;)

Nah, it was aimed at Muel and all the other Micra 'enthusiasts' in this thread. I know you'd never have the balls (and/or cheek) to recommend an MX-5 on practicality terms ;)

Well first ever track day was a success. Absolutly loved it and the car withstood the beating no problem at all. I probably done around 25 laps in total over the course of the 2 hours with coming in 4 times to let the car and brakes cool down. Was a long drive down with having no trailer and a really noisy 1 at that, car is horrible on the motorway haha

The cl5+ pads were awsome once they got a bit of heat in them brake fade was pretty minimal over the day with the pedal staying pretty much consistant over the day.

Track was never too busy either was always plenty of space. Was the only dc2 there but plenty of other honda civics s2000 and 1 dc5.

Dont know what a good time around knockhill would be but after going through footage on camera quickest lap was around a 1.10. The last corner was a bit of a nightmare i found i was either breaking to late or too early. Car seemed to do quite well in the straights but when it came to corners the civics seemed to be able to hold more speed. Something i will need to work on as i get more comfortable with the track and get used to the breaking points. I have loads of footage on the go pro camera wasnt mounted in the best of places would have been better placing it on the dash board will do this next time. Will get some of it uploaded later tonight.

Thinking of booking another night session for the end of the month. So will be giving the brakes fresh bleed and oil and filter change before that.

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed it! As you said, things like that will come with more time in the car. It takes ages to get fully comfortable with it.

Seeing as though a Mk1 MX5 race car is a good 'barometer' for lap time (hey George :P), they lap Knockhill around 1:05 with about 130-135bhp on cheap road tyres. Lap record for us is a mid 1:03.