The Car Thread

MadManMike

Got to the garage at about 1pm on Friday. left at 4.30pm :S
Got the car on the ramps for tracking after fitting the rear beam, ball joints and new suspension. Been driving with the band on the wheel pointing to 10 o'clock, very weird. It is also likely that the tracking was very much out of Alignment.
They had a really good hawkeye alignment system so I took full advantage of that. I asked for maximum caster, -2 camber and 0 toe.
After an hour and a half on the ramp the manager came over as a queue was starting to form.
Unfortunately, we were no where near the targets at this point because the guy doing the setup refused to believe the silver project camber adjusters could also alter camber. This was because they had only seen camber plate top mounts that are bolted to the chassis and set purely for camber adjustment.
Had to get off the ramp for about an hour to get the other 4 cars in the queue through.
11051840_10153487043969431_4235041494355
11866448_10153487044029431_4299938604730 (can see the vinyl on the front bumper de laminating, happened on the first sunny day unfortunately and then started to rip with stone chips and rain.)
Then back on the ramps, another mechanic came over, one I have dealt with before, he actually listened to what I was saying and set the top mounts with the slot facing about 45deg from the travel of vehicle direction. The set up plan was max caster by sliding the strut as far back as possible and then rotate the top mount to set the camber. Set the toe and readjusted slightly.
This is what we finished with in the end:
11855754_10153487046629431_1047342377956
Been for a couple of drives now and the car feels better than it has ever done in the past, really pleased. Corners very had and grips much better. Next step: Get bumpers sprayed and then Powerrrrrrrrrrr.
Cheers, Ash

Looks high on the front right... Was your equivalent weight in the drivers seat?

Interesting how the rear figures change without any adjustments being made!

Glad to hear it feels better though, did have a lot of toe in before which always feels weird!

Decent alignment in "car feels better to drive" shocker :P

Glad they managed to figure it all out in the end for you mate - I've had issues with places not knowing that you could adjust camber at all before which is a whole other level of stupidity. Left rather quickly as you might imagine!

On the subject of Silver Project top mounts, it turns out that mine are slow arriving due to taking a weekend break in Milano, Italy. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a lovely spot to spend a sunny weekend but it's now pissing it down here so it'd have been nice to be able to fit them in the dry yesterday!

SilverProjectItaly_zpsrpi1m46p.png

On the subject of alignment, I'm finally booking mine in at FCM Motorsport in Bristol to get mine sorted. I did have it booked in a while ago, but then a few bits went wrong and I decided to swap some parts before getting it done.

Really looking forward to having my (Adam's) settings done, it drives like shite at the moment - wheels pointing all over the place!

Next on the list is a mohair roof with glass screen, as mine is leaking badly now.

Next year it's rust attack and re-spray o'clock! (And if something miraculous happens, added snail).

Pretty sure I'm gonna spray the wheels again too, I just can't get on with the gold :(

In simple terms, what's the easier route - supercharged or turbo'd?

With turbos I know you have a lot of additional pipes, intercooler etc... but I don't know much about superchargers (Other than they make a noise that I find pleasing and I like the instant go).

In terms of cost, I understand they're similar.

Please answer without bias towards your preference, I just want to know what is the more simple system and learn a bit more about supercharger systems.

Was nice weather this weekend so instead of making car progress I went here:

20150813_150240_zpsjhq7nc2o.jpg

Drank a few bottles of this:

20150813_144901_zps7tcgejun.jpg

Joined this mob:

20150813_145829_zpsypmjt9t9.jpg

and watched a bit of this:

11800357_10154069852470639_9085492657237

Bought these:

20150814_134308_zpsoktucsjv.jpg

Took these out:

20150810_120114_zps95zbkrqc.jpg

Opened these:

20150808_185110_zpsdifvno42.jpg?t=143912

Fitted these (plus some springs):

20150810_124509_zpsxcnio8an.jpg?t=143912

Rears done, fronts will have to wait until I've been to pick up a decent hammer as I forgot to grab one yesterday. Not having dad's garage on hand to raid is proving to be annoying already :P

Received this:

20150810_131914_zps7tjrhqgb.jpg

Good times. Car currently looks much the same as it did before:

20150810_130727_zps57ptmwbn.jpg

In simple terms, what's the easier route - supercharged or turbo'd?

Easiest is supercharging, only if you've got enough space in reference to fitting it inline with all your pulleys.

no intercooler, as you've mentioned far less pipes, less heat, ect

There is that but bear in mind that whilst they might be instant, a supercharger is generally effective over a smaller working range than a turbo so it depends what characteristics you're looking for.

Bearing in mind that there are (probably) plenty of documented turbo-MX5 builds/guides and parts available, I can't see it being too much of a killer to strap a turbo on there instead (but then that'll be getting in to my own preference, so I'll stop there)

• Like 1

There is that but bear in mind that whilst they might be instant, a supercharger is generally effective over a smaller working range than a turbo so it depends what characteristics you're looking for.

Bearing in mind that there are (probably) plenty of documented turbo-MX5 builds/guides and parts available, I can't see it being too much of a killer to strap a turbo on there instead (but then that'll be getting in to my own preference, so I'll stop there)

yeah i know, Superchargers generally give lower boost, but the boost comes on far quicker than a turbo.

but he said easiest :P

Edited by MartMini

I've been driving a turbo recently and hate it. To be fair, it's also a diesel 2007 Golf GT, so there's not much going for it but I really don't get on with lag.

Aren't there decent ways to make power in an MX-5 without going charged?

From what I've heard, the SC is more instant and better at the lower rev ranges, which is where the MX-5 lacks (The power is at the top end). That makes SC quite appealing, as I'd like the car to be more responsive in lower rev ranges.

Also having less pipework etc appeals, I'd like to keep the bay tidy with less things to worry about.

Adam - no comment needed, I know your feelings towards them :P

It's my opinion that the MX-5 is great, apart from it lacking in grunt. I'm not looking for ridiculous power, but it definitely lacks. (In every day driving I mean, red lining on a track it's a little different - away from the lights it has a disadvantage, which is not good when your commute is city based and getting ahead reaps good rewards.

Sounds like either a supercharger or a small turbo are the way to go then.

Probably be able to dig up a little ore useful info at a more relevant source too:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=365026

http://www.planetmx5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5052

Edit; Those are literally the first two semi-relevant links that popped up. I refuse to vouch for their usefulness but I'm sure there'll be decent info out there somewhere :P

A tweaked AFM. Take it somewhere that knows what they are doing, or give me a shout, I've been playing around with them recently and pretty sure I know exactly what BLiNK do and charge £100 for. 14 degrees isn't necessarily the best, it's just a safe 'average'.

Have a read of this: http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112653

I would have a supercharger over a turbo if I had to go FI, but as said there is more knowledge around turbos...

Wouldn't need to be anything particularly large - I'm not really familiar with the engine layout on the MX5 but there must be room for something similar to one of the small 1.8t SMIC cores/similar in there.

Edit; 2 minutes of reading suggests that the engine is pretty much the same as the turbo unit from the 323 only without the blower? Should be a pretty simple conversion if you did decide to go down that route as a result.

Edit 2; Not much more pipework than for a SC setup really (though please don't use horrible, stupid coloured hoses whichever way you go):

11.JPG

UniversalIntercoolersGreddyTurbokit.jpg

Looks high on the front right... Was your equivalent weight in the drivers seat?

Interesting how the rear figures change without any adjustments being made!

Glad to hear it feels better though, did have a lot of toe in before which always feels weird!

No Adam, just curb weight. I am not too fussed for now, will probably alter the height slightly at some point so will need realignment.

It's jacked up there isn't it??

Yes it is, looks more like this height:

11828689_10153477352279431_2878807878604

Decent alignment in "car feels better to drive" shocker :P

Glad they managed to figure it all out in the end for you mate - I've had issues with places not knowing that you could adjust camber at all before which is a whole other level of stupidity. Left rather quickly as you might imagine!

On the subject of Silver Project top mounts, it turns out that mine are slow arriving due to taking a weekend break in Milano, Italy. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a lovely spot to spend a sunny weekend but it's now pissing it down here so it'd have been nice to be able to fit them in the dry yesterday!

Unlucky mate! Hope they arrive soon for you buddy. Went for a wet drive today and found im getting more understeer, unexpected, although I was pushing quite hard with some skoda estate lol.

Edited by Ash-Kennard

Cheers David! Acronyms ahoy:

These are a set of APs from DPM Performance - circa £380 for the coils, £80 for the top mounts, plus bearings and bushes etc that I'm fitting at the same time.

I had JOMs on my old LC. Looked great but were relatively crashy in the lanes around home. If you live somewhere with decent roads then they'd be fine, but I found for poorer quality roads the spring/damping balance wasn't quite right. These APs don't have adjustable damping which I'd have liked, but for my requirements and current finances I couldn't justify upping the budget by yet another few hundred pounds.

Springs with a well matched set of shocks would be a good call, so long as they lower as expected/desired as you obviously don't have the same adjustability as coils. Craig (craigjames on here, if he sees this) has just picked up a set for his A3 (also from DPM) but I can't remember if he bought APs or STs, think it was the latter though.

I'll have the standard LCR setup from my car going spare in a few days, all being well. If you'd rather keep things budget friendly that'd be another way to go - they're around 25mm lower than your LC from memory. Also give you the option of running an LCR ARB as the struts have the droplink mount on which you'll find a lot of the "mk4/Leon (non R)" coils don't seem to have. Not essential by any means, unless you want to run an LCR style ARB (under the driveshafts rather than hoops over the top which rub when you get to around 40mm drop)

More info than you wanted I'm sure, sorry :P