The Car Thread

MadManMike

Who knew that the hydraulic lifters on a 2.0 e46 BMW are the exact same as those found in the 1.0/1.2/1.4 Corsa engines?

I didn't until tonight, thought my job was f**ked until I knocked a scrap BM head off the work bench and saw one roll out. Plucked 15 out plus the one new "proper" lifter and they fit perfectly. Pleased I've proved the cocks at work wrong, all adamant that the engine would be f**ked and that a top end rebuild wouldn't be worth it. Runs a fekkin treat with cams and followers/lifters that aren't worn out.

Possible new car this weekend too!

• Like 1

In the last hour I have discovered that my 25 year old VW accelerates to take off speed (132mph) quicker than the plane I'm about to get on.

Given that my Golf seems to lift clear off the ground at anything above 130mph; I conclude that we aren't using 1.8t engined Mk2 Golf's, or runways anywhere near as efficiently as we could.

-

Yes I posted that on Facebook, but it's still relevant here.

And no I don't know if a plane can do 55mpg.

Some comedy gold in here lately!

Jardo - 55mpg? I would call bullshit, it's certainly never happened in any of my 1.8T cars, but I can't prove it, as my life is far too interesting to sit at 55mph on the motorway! Either way, it doesn't happen for anyone else either. Go figure?

David: I got 27mpg average from my daily a3 @220bhp. No point in having 200+ bhp and driving it like a Honda Jazz. I'm sure you've done the maths, but if the LC isn't tuned at the moment you'll probably find a modern diesel quite enjoyable still.

Dann11!!!22££&&447770: 58-60mph? Same question to Jardo, who on earth has time for that shit? Time is far too precious to spend sat rotting in the motorway in the slow lane.

Rich: hoon? It's not such a bad word. How else would you describe in a single word the enjoyable act of going out for a brisk drive for the sole purpose of enjoying the drive? A thrash? A blast? Twat lap? Just about any term used for going for a brisk drive sounds pretty gay really :lol:

Tb- hope you like your van. I currently

Have a van and the a3 too and no normal car, it's strange, but I'm getting used to it.

Adam: good luck selling the westy with the single best FS advert I've ever read! No doubt you'll get all sorts of time wasting loosers wanting to swap it for some polished turd they've hugely over valued :D

• Like 2

Dropped the oil in the focus as its probably well over due. It's a twat to do because the filter is right behind the motor and can only be accessed from below after taking the sump shield off.

Got the oil drained and filter off (proper strap wrench helped immensely) sump plug back in, new filter filled with oil and it won't f**king fit, wrong diameter and wrong size thread. I'm currently commuting 45 minutes each way because I'm overseeing the reorganisation of the yard at one of our other factories and that's now out of the window :(

Guess I'm cycling to the Lichfield offices tomorrow to phone the md and explaining why I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing! Fortunately the motor factors I got the filter from is only 50 yards from work so I'll go give them a round of f**ks at lunchtime.

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

From what you've said I'm assuming it's a 1.8 Diesel?

We get that issue all the time, some of the filters associated with the cars model/engine were linked wrongly and you'll have probably been sent a filter for a 1.4/1.6 zetec petrol.

Edited by SamKidney

Some comedy gold in here lately!

Jardo - 55mpg? I would call bullshit, it's certainly never happened in any of my 1.8T cars, but I can't prove it, as my life is far too interesting to sit at 55mph on the motorway! Either way, it doesn't happen for anyone else either. Go figure?

David: I got 27mpg average from my daily a3 @220bhp. No point in having 200+ bhp and driving it like a Honda Jazz. I'm sure you've done the maths, but if the LC isn't tuned at the moment you'll probably find a modern diesel quite enjoyable still.

Dann11!!!22££&&447770: 58-60mph? Same question to Jardo, who on earth has time for that shit? Time is far too precious to spend sat rotting in the motorway in the slow lane.

Rich: hoon? It's not such a bad word. How else would you describe in a single word the enjoyable act of going out for a brisk drive for the sole purpose of enjoying the drive? A thrash? A blast? Twat lap? Just about any term used for going for a brisk drive sounds pretty gay really :lol:

Have a van and the a3 too and no normal car, it's strange, but I'm getting used to it.

Adam: good luck selling the westy with the single best FS advert I've ever read! No doubt you'll get all sorts of time wasting loosers wanting to swap it for some polished turd they've hugely over valued :D

I just don't get paid enough to justify spending all my money going fast on the motorway at 34 ish mpg.

Cheers, I love vans too much ha. At the minute I've got my dads works van whilst he's off and the camper. I'm looking forward to getting mine finished though so I can start getting out and about in my rolling advert. I was gonna keep these under wraps, but they look too cool not to show off!

IMAG1034_zpssrmxzj7q.jpg

17" T5 GP steels, gonna get them banded to 8" all round to give a slight dish, with some 195/45s I think they'll look big enough to fill the arch, I picked that graphite and roughed on out but I think I'm gonna go a different route. I'm trying to figure out the nicest way to mount those caps too but I think I have the solution!

I just don't get paid enough to justify spending all my money going fast on the motorway at 34 ish mpg.

You make it sound like your fuel bill will double haha, it won't drop enough to use more than £5/10 extra, unless you're doing a 2,000 mile trip.