The Car Thread

MadManMike

Operation Tidy The Boot has begun.

It's probably the least interesting car modification you can do, but when you have a boot as small as mine, it's quite a nice prospect to have 1/3 of it freed up!

I replaced the badges on my car. That is pretty dam boring for a modification :P

• Like 1

Its usually a plastic/rubber pipe coming off the brake master servo, going to an engine breather (for a petrol) or a vacuum pump for a diesel :)

Master servo? :P

You mean the servo, which has the master cylinder attached, right? 2 different things :P

/pedant

• Like 1

I've been away for the weekend, so to follow on from this:

Ebay happened and now I'll be collecting this on Monday/Tuesday. On the one hand: woops, sorry wallet! On the other hand: Yay! a fun car again!

11742709_10153478400569855_3382597618700

I'm really looking forward to a fresh start and oddly, quite looking forward to a slow fun car again, the Scirocco is/was (not sure what to do with it still, it has quite a bit of rust) quick, but you couldn't ever really give it 100% safely. Besides fixing the inevitable issues that come with a 34 year old car, some Gaz Gold's and 15" wheels with sticky tyres will be first on the shopping list once my bank account recovers a little.

That looks ace Robin!

Thanks. :)

YES Robin, how much did you spend in the end?

Cheers, It was £1200, which seemed like a bargain from the auction. (11 months MOT, a couple of new parts, generally straight & solid.) I'm not so sure now, but I don't think it was a rip off either. More about that below.

Robin - Looks wicked dude! Curborough in that one?

Thanks, that's the plan as long as it's not already broken!

I bid on it blind, kind of silly but I'd spotted it a few days before and assumed it would go out of my price range, so when I saw it still a fair bit lower than expected I put a cheeky bid in and ended up getting it for the guys reserve. I'd not been expecting to collect until today or yesterday, but as everything fell into place quicker than expected I popped down and drove it home on Thursday evening. It made the journey home without issue, sitting at a steady temperature.

First impressions were that it felt pretty much as I expect for a 34 year old, £1200 Porsche with a few miles on the clock: In need of some work but generally roadworthy. I was a bit annoyed that it's had a new passenger side sill, but as far as I can tell the repair seems to have been done reasonably and he didn't state it had never been welded, it just means that sill wont be galvanized like it would have been from the factory. One of the jacking points needs some attention, it's not an issue yet, but could become one if left unchecked. There's a little rust in the bottom of the n/s inner wing/footwell, non structural and not an MOT issue, but needs addressing at some point. It's clearly had a respray at some point, which hasn't been done brilliantly and there's some blistering, but it's presentable unless you look pretty closely. I wasn't after a car with mint bodywork, as I want to use it without feeling guilty, so the condition of the shell's actually about spot on for what I'm looking for. Having said that, my thoughts that I'd done well from the auction were quickly toned down to just thinking it seemed a fair price considering it had a full MOT and seemed genuinely roadworthy.

Mechanically, the engine seems a bit flat, and there's a top end noise that could be tappets or injectors, but it's got plenty of bottom end grunt and idles smoothly, so I'm thinking/hoping it'll respond well to a service and a bit of playing. The engine and gearbox mounts seem to be well past their best, and the back end feels a bit like the same's probably true of the rear beam or trailing arm bushes. There's a wheel wobble at speed, but it's pretty minor and I suspect it's exaggerated by tired bushes. The brakes seem to work better than I was expecting for a car from this era, which is nice. It runs a bit rough straight after starting, so I suspect some of the k-jet injection system's a bit tired, but as a second car this doesn't really bother me as it seems to clear up quickly, and I don't plan for the k-jet to be on there too long.

If I'd gone to look at it advertised at this price, rather than bid blind, then I'd probably have walked away to have a think and hope something better came up soon, then maybe returned later if nothing else came up. Having bought it, I'm not over the moon with it, but I'm not particularly annoyed either, I could have done better, but hey, it's still a cheap old car. £1200 is cheep for any roadworthy 1981 car with a hint of future classic about it.

The alternator started squealing at the end of the journey home, so I took a quick look and found that it's actually not quite fitted right, I suspect it's not really a 924 alternator, or has the wrong pulley on it at least. It sits about 3/4mm back from where it should, which was making the belt rub on one of its mountings slightly. It does work for now, and it'll be an easy fix (file down the mounting the appropriate amount.) but it was still a bit annoying.

So having re-tensioned the belt, and found that this stopped the worst of the rubbing on the mount, I decided to excitedly drive it to Herefordshire for a family holiday this weekend, hoping for the best. It got me there and back without issue. I drove it to work this morning and was treated to a flat battery when I went to leave. Odd as it stood for 3 days over the weekend and fired straight up then. I suspect there's probably something sapping power somewhere. It's a lot of fun to drive, with loads of character and the chassis feels lovely and balanced, it feels like although it's a bit tired at the moment, there's the potential for a great little drivers car in there.

The centre console's pretty poorly fitted and I thought I'd have a quick look at it to see if there was anything obvious on the switches and dials in it that could be draining power. Having pulled it out, it looks like someone less than gifted at wiring's shat all over it then handed a monkey some pliers and hoped it'd result in a working car. Amazingly, all the necessities do genuinely work as they should, but the wiring's in real need of some attention. To my despair, when I started unwrapping one tapped up wire, it revealed that a shared live had clearly been short circuited at some point and melted all it's insulation, right back into the main bulk of the loom. It still works, but I wont be happy until it's got fresh wire in there :'( So I'm going to have to pull the whole dash out, untape the loom and do some fairly serious re-wiring.

Oddly I'm not feeling too pissed off by this, it's an old car and I was expecting some issues. At least this way, as long as I approach it right I can be sure that the wiring's all corrected and potentially upgraded, so I know it's a good base when I come to start playing around with things. It'll be good to know the cars wiring inside out too.

So the to do list at the moment, in order of priority is:

- Correct any dodgy or melted wiring in the cabin

- Make some poly engine and gearbox mounts (replacement ones are either second hand or £90 each aftermarket uprated ones, and gearbox mounts are 2nd hand only.)

- Replace/repair the shift linkage, preferably modify it to move the shifter up a bit.

- Give the engine a thorough check over and service, then see if I can get my head around k-jet enough to get it running a bit sweater. If I can't, bin the k-jet and throw some webbers or megasquirt at it for now.

- Replace all the bushes and the track-rods and ends. Maybe see how close the spare MX-5 steering rack I have is to fitting, I'd like less turns lock to lock.

- See if I can do anything to make the spare Audi S3 brake calipers I've got fit it. (and pay Nick for the rear calipers!)

- Purchase some Gaz Gold's once my wallet's recovered from buying the car.

- Find some 15" wheels that I can throw some 205/50R15 semi-slicks on.

- Think about seats/roll-cage.

TLDR: It's a bit more of a dog than I'd hoped, but I'll make it work and I'm enjoying it so far, despite the issues.

• Like 3

Welcome to my world of rectifying things done badly - I suspect you'll have things sorted far more quickly/proficiently than I!

Sounds like a good bit of as-and-when fun though as an ongoing background project. Should be right up your street (Y)

I've got a few bits going on that will either help sort my car out, make no difference and be frustrating, or will kill the entire thing. Could be fun...

• Like 1

I was a bit annoyed that it's had a new passenger side sill- Get some waxoil in there and it'll be reeeet

It's clearly had a respray at some point, which hasn't been done brilliantly and there's some blistering, but it's presentable unless you look pretty closely- Sounds just like mine!

Mechanically, the engine seems a bit flat, and there's a top end noise that could be tappets or injectors- Very tappy engines anyway but it's worth adjusting everything to reduce the noise

The engine and gearbox mounts seem to be well past their best- Drivers engine mount springs snap, new ones were remanufactured by the owners club, worth asking them! If you can handle the drone then fill the gearbox mounts with tiger seal or they are now £90 each...were £25 :(

The brakes seem to work better than I was expecting for a car from this era, which is nice- They are surprisingly good, a bleed and adjustment of the rear brakes makes a huge difference to them i found

It runs a bit rough straight after starting, so I suspect some of the k-jet injection system's a bit tired-More often than not its an air leak or an AAV/WUR issue

The alternator started squealing at the end of the journey home, so I took a quick look and found that it's actually not quite fitted right, I suspect it's not really a 924 alternator, or has the wrong pulley on it at least- got a photo? I have a spare alternator here you can have but it needs refurbishing. The mounts for the alternator die and make it look wonky, the top ones are easily replaced with skateboard bushes and the bottom is simply an exhaust bobbin

It looks like someone less than gifted at wiring's shat all over it then handed a monkey some pliers and hoped it'd result in a working car - Every 924 seems to have encountered this! Might be easier to fit a whole new loom than repair

- Replace/repair the shift linkage, preferably modify it to move the shifter up a bit.- get a 10mm ID brass bush and drill out the linkage to allow it to fit, then weld in a new stainless pin on the gear stick

- Give the engine a thorough check over and service, then see if I can get my head around k-jet enough to get it running a bit sweater. If I can't, bin the k-jet and throw some webbers or megasquirt at it for now. Service is dirty cheap and the K jet parts aren't hugely expensive either, theres a thread on fitting megasquirt to follow too

- Replace all the bushes and the track-rods and ends. Go poly bush tooo, so cheap to rebuild the front of these!

How my boot looked:

11147116_10155803645245587_5935575446193

Removed the fuel guard thing:

11709589_10155803645430587_9140212301663

Drilled holes, attached velcro straps and re-fitted:

11017501_10155803645705587_4853831094164

Close up showing the strap idea:

1379570_10155803645985587_31017257974594

I've actually put the extinguisher back in the cabin and the tyre foam is where the extinguisher is in the photos. So much space saved and it's more than 10kg of weight gone too!

EDIT: The black can is 500ml of oil, to replace the massive 4l tub.

Edited by MadManMike
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help & advise. I'm loving it so far still despite the issues. I've put a bit over 300 miles on it so far, but until this evening it have mostly been motorway. I went for a fun drive on the hills this evening and I'm definitely impressed with the chassis. Even with the wear and tear the car still feels really balanced and fun. I'm definitely looking forward to tightening things up a bit, I can only imagine it feeling great once it's age has been disguised a bit more.

I think I've found the source of my battery drain too, the radiator fan's staying on all the time, but at a really low speed as if it's just seeing a few volts from somewhere. I've pulled the fuse for now and I'll see if the battery still drains its self.

A quick shot from this evening:

11145098_10153495507609855_8631801452863

FML. Passats driver side hand brake has stuck on now. (N)

Related to this, someone's driven down the length of our road and then out onto the ring road in Cardiff with one of their rear wheels locked (presumably due to their handbrake). Super dark skidmark going on for a long, long way. Can't believe they neither noticed it nor did something about it...