The Car Thread

MadManMike

My drive between home and base is a mix of dual carriageway and lots of single lane, winding back roads that are almost always slow as f**k due to traffic. If I physically can't go fast, I'll slip into eco mode and save a few quid/make it more interesting.

Often there's so much traffic on the dual carriageway sections that you can't immediately shunt it up to 70/etc and you're stuck at 50/60. Amazing how much difference it does make to economy.

Stick it two feet from the lorry in front for max economy?

What kind of increase in fuel economy are you actually likely to see from sitting in a lorry's slipstream?

From a road cyclists point of view the benefits are massive, many of the guys I ride with are happy drafting the likes of tractors and I've done so myself a few times in the past too but just gives me the fear. Does anyone have experience with this? Strikes me as madness...

Ever since buying my 924 I have wanted a rear valance but they are like hens teeth. An ad for a rear valance appeared at a bargain price on the owners club a few months after buying the car so I snapped it up straight away. Unfortunately It turned out to be a 944 rear valance and therefore is designed for the wider rear arches and also these aren't worth that much as they are fairly common. I gave up and tried to sell it but because of some damage to it people were put off. I decided today that I should try and fit it anyway and see what can be done about it.

It's not finished yet but I'm chuffed that with not much effort I can get this looking how I want it to!

So here is the issue, mega gap!

2015-08-06%2010.10.47_zpseccb6wv2.jpg

Cut out some material and voila

2015-08-06%2010.16.33_zpssvvgykn3.jpg

Whack in a plate and fill with expanding foam ready for glassing up

2015-08-06%2011.04.56_zps53osmp99.jpg

2015-08-06%2011.04.58_zps1xw9v9ka.jpg

I whacked in some rivnuts to the Porsche body and got the valance mounted just to check it all fits

2015-08-06%2011.39.21_zpsxpjnujmc.jpg

2015-08-06%2011.39.31_zpstmynwnl0.jpg

2015-08-06%2011.39.39_zps9jw2libf.jpg

2015-08-06%2011.39.48_zpsxinnd03h.jpg

I've got an idea for a front setup to match but it's not a genuine Porsche part, fingers crossed it matches

I just don't get paid enough to justify spending all my money going fast on the motorway at 34 ish mpg.

During one drive between home (somerset) and uni (oxford) I actually did the maths in my head of how much I'd save driving my Passat (1.6td b3 estate) behind a truck at ~56mph or just driving at 70/80. Even earning sod all at halfords at the time, it worked out as more cost effective to drive at 80 and work the time I'd saved on the journey.

Like that?

Honestly, if that guy hadn't arranged something with the lorry driver beforehand then F**k me that's a death wish!

The thing is though, especially with cycling, the moment you take away wind resistance, your actual efficiently goes through the roof.

Its like when Guy martin did it, 112mph on a beach by drafting behind a modified lorry cab

• Like 1

I remember Guy martin doing that now. Was incredible, top bloke as well!

So had to do a little bit of reading as was curious and quoting Mythbusters, however reliable you take them to be, it was found that driving at 10ft behind a lorry could see your fuel efficiency go up by 40%... Fair enough!

The thing is though, especially with cycling, the moment you take away wind resistance, your actual efficiently goes through the roof.

Its like when Guy martin did it, 112mph on a beach by drafting behind a modified lorry cab

The thing with drafting is that you're actually being physically sucked along by the low pressure behind the lead vehicle so rather than just reducing your drag in some cases you can actually experience a level of thrust (aerodynamically speaking- rolling resistance etc. would still mean you'd decelerate if you stopped pedalling).

Yep.

In related news - Having spent the last eternity driving as gently and at 50-55mph wherever possible (road isn't perfect for it with a few bottlenecks that slow down the flow of traffic) I did indeed experience an increase in economnomnomy. Of 1.

Yep, despite the fact that the road was less busy than when I usually make that journey, I only experienced a 1mpg improvement as a result of far more conscious effort and an extra half hour of my life (~170 mile trip). 0% worth it in this instance. 41.3mpg as opposed to the 40.X usually.

I've no doubt that on a flatter, straighter, downhiller road it'd be possible to average higher, but at least on those roads 55mpg is never going to happen.

Edit: In other news, this was waiting for me at home...

20150808_162959_zps9mrazhh6.jpg

• Like 2

Unbalanced assemblies are for dickheads. There's no way anything will be going near my engine without being fully balanced. Fortunately balanced is balanced, so balancing accurately (eg <0.01gmm) at 10krpm beats balancing a little more crudely (<0.1mmg) at 150krpm. Got something in the pipeline on that front though.

Just need to pick an actuator from the couple I have here, or potentially grab one from BBT. Not entirely sure what pressure I want things to crack at 0 any info on that would be much appreciated, but I've got a few pages on my reading list before making a final shout on that front (Y)

Coils, bushes etc all here and ready to go on too - win.

• Like 1