The Car Thread

MadManMike

Yeah, need longer breakers as my current 1/2" one is only ~20" long.

That said, if things are looked after they shouldn't need much more really. Shame they never are!

Impact gun would be nice too.

Typically it was lovely and dry/sunny yesterday, and now I have one remaining pain in the arse bolt it's pissing down today. Kinda negates all the penetrant I threw in there yesterday, last night and this morning!

Heat is going to be the only other way as no room for grinder really, Ash. Else yeah, I'll have to get creative really. Subframe would let me fit the new ARB though :P

Alas I'm still too poor to afford decent mods but I did manage to sort the rear wiper problem......by removing it

DSC_0450_zpsuoicoznz.jpg

Is that one you bond in?

Been looking to do it to mine, but was looking at one of the threaded/removable one, as i know what my MOT tester is like..

Someone bought a proper sheddy J reg Eunos to the meet last night, it's for sale. It's red, like mine, except it's not - it's pink and rather shit looking. Someone has clearly used different rattle cans on it and probably polished it using sand paper.

Suspension knackered, LOADS of creaks. Interior is a mess, standard Daisy wheels with the worst black spray job ever.

Open the bonnet, leaks galore - CAS O-Ring, Cam cover gasket both clearly gone.

Quick test drive shows that the clutch / gearbox is on the way out - lots of squeaks and it's hard to get in gear.

"So, how much are you looking for?"

"£1,000"

LOL. I paid £925 for mine, it's not perfect but it's a million times better than that. However, it does have a Mazdaspeed roll bar, so I said he should sell that to me for £100 and it won't affect the sale price on the car. He agrees.

All being well, I should be picking up and fitting the roll bar in the next few days :D

So a metric f**kton of penetrant, blowtorch and a mains powered, 1000W impact gun have made precisely no difference. That thing is stuck in there tight.

Question is, do I drop the subframe (new steering rack and ARB bushes en route...) or try and get in there with a grinder and cut through the existing bush ad bolt (tight on space, not sure there's enough room)? To me it seems the former makes the most logical sense, but I've never dropped a subframe before so not too sure how much I can cock it up. That said, I've never pulled all the suspension etc to bits before either. There's nothing like the deep end to teach you to swim, right?

• Like 1

Impact driver.

So a metric f**kton of penetrant, blowtorch and a mains powered, 1000W impact gun have made precisely no difference.

:(

Tried a breaker bar, Luke?

Indeed - managed to get hold of 6ft of scaffold pole and gave it a whirl first thing. No joy, unfortunately. Cutting/grinding the bolt is going to be the only way to get it out of there now really. Extremely frustrating, especially since it's the last bloomin' bolt that needs to shift before I can rebush and reassemble :P

Yeah? So 4 main subframe bolts, 4 on the steering rack and that's about all that I need to be conscious of when getting going?

If I leave the track rods attached at the hubs can I undo the rack from the SF as I drop it (using trolley jack) to save having to reconfigure all that lot? Will be getting tracking done in the near future anyway so I guess it's not the end of the world to remove though.

Edit; And droplinks, obviously.

If you can't get it off with a big bar, an impact driver won't do bugger all (especially a battery/electric one, judging by the 1000w).

Dropping the subframe is easy enough (besides the fact its pretty weighty). Its much easier with the LCR's "under the shaft" setup, because on the "shaft loop" setups, the bar always gets caught up over the shaft, so needs to be wriggled about...not the easiest of things to do while wrestling a 30-40kg slab of metal about, whilst laying on your back!

If you undo the 4 steering rack bolts, it will just hang there, held by the steering column joint and track rods. No need to undo anything other than that, steering wise.

The only things you need to undo are the following:

4x 21mm subframe bolts
4x 13mm steering rack bolts
2x 13mm dogbone mount to subframe bolts

2x 16mm dogbone mount to gearbox bolts

2x 13mm exhaust hanger mount bolts
3x 13mm balljoint to hub nuts (per side)
1x 19mm droplink nut (per side)

The whole subframe (with wishbones should then drop down, ready for swapping whatever you need to over.

I'd certainly be doing that before attacking it with a grinder...make that your last ditch attempt!

Also, use 6 point sockets if you can. Will get more far more grip than 12 points, which will just round the bolt if you aren't on it 100% square.

• Like 2

After the one I've been trying for the past 24 hours they weren't too bad. I had been spraying them a fair bit too though for when I eventually got round to it.

Anyway, subframe dropped:

20150828_124147_zps1wx0x3zi.jpg

Other end of the offending bolt which will be ground off. I'll probably slice the head of the bolt now that there's room to pull the rest out of the top, as it's a touch more accessible.

20150828_124155_zpsk0dalhk4.jpg

Original vs replacement ARB:

20150828_124431_zpsp0kunddy.jpg

Far easier than reading forums/my general impressions of the job had led me to believe - half an hour from being sat on the sofa reading up on how to do it to being sat back on the sofa posting this :)

It's a shame I don't have another week or two really - could have got my hands on a cat back setup and put new turbo, mani and exhaust on while the subframe's out.

• Like 3

Is that one you bond in?

Been looking to do it to mine, but was looking at one of the threaded/removable one, as i know what my MOT tester is like..

Yeah it's a glass bung, just glued it in with some sikaflex to keep it nice and watertight. Shouldn't make a difference on an mot.

New dash installed everything working as it should now at last. Need to have a play around with it but i think all need an extra harness for oil pressure ect displayed.

Dyno run puts the car at 250bhp so happy with that also with a measly 170lbft.

Excuse the messy pic need to get something made up to hold the dash in place and can rip out half the wiring for the old s2000 dash and convertor.

IMG-20150813-WA0003_zpsg09gg0ft.jpeg

IMG-20150813-WA0005_zps2gbqspma.jpeg

Was hoping to make another track day this month but heading on holiday with the misus so think thatll be it for this year unless weather keeps up the sunshine. Still few parts at home to fit and oil change to do.

Edited by greg1040