The Car Thread

MadManMike

I'd quite like a rolling cabinet with a top box, I've looked at budget ones but they are made of really thin steel and are quite small anyway, I can't afford to go as far as getting a Snap On setup as they are just far too much. We have some of the Halfords Professional stuff at school which seems nice, so I would consider those but ideally i'd spend less if possible! They seem to pop up secondhand but command a high price still so I'm guessing this is because they are really that good?

Are there many other good alternatives? Any secretly good cheap ones out there? 

Why? Why? Why? Why would you do this to me?  I want to buy lots of tools now :(

Edited by forteh
  • Like 3

Not really interested in having more hand tools, I seem to have most of that Teng stuff anyway! I was offered that same kit after my workshop was broken into by a Teng dealer for £1800... probably should of found the money for it!

What exactly is the difference between a Halfords one and a Snap On? I don't intend on using it as a workbench so I won't be smacking big lump hammers on it, it'll simply be for ease of bringing commonly used tools around the workshop. My other option is to get shaping some steel and make my own, but that's effort

Go and have a look, feel of the halfords ones, the pro ones with roller bearing drawers feel a lot nicer, ive got a snap on and they are good but not worth how much they cost, i got mine off a friend cheap because he upgraded.

Yeah that's a good plan, like I said we have one of their units at school and i'd be more than content with that! 

I've been offered a nearly new Halfords setup the same as below for £180 which seems pretty good? At the very least I could get my money back later on it

20121028_204333.jpg

I've got the top section of that cab, the bottom two drawer runners were f**ked so I pulled them but the rest is still solid.  It was one of the old boxes from one of our fitters vans, so had been massively overloaded and bounced around in the back of a transit.  I wouldn't have any issues with a full halfords box like it :)

Fortunately I have a good deal of that lot already :)

But it looks so neat and organised and tidy and clean and stuff :(

I could just spend a couple of days sorting my tooling properly, spend a grand on drugs booze and loose women*, I shall probably just waste the rest of the money saved :D

*may or may not happen

• Like 2

Take a look in machine mart. I have a Clarke hd plus box. But as has been said go feel them. Some are made of tinfoil. 

Last time I was in Costco they had a huge double width box for a decent price. 

image.jpeg

The Halfords boxes are great for the money you pay, as are the tools really and their warranty scheme seems pretty reliable too. 

I've used their kits while working on my mates Civic (All my tools at work) and while not quite as nice to use as the Snap On/Blue Point/Mac gear Im used to theyre more than usable. 

Depends on your budget. My Snap On box has been excellent and its used everyday, but was expensive as are the MAC offerings. That said my first "box" was a Blue Point service trolley with a decent closing lid top, two shallow top draws, a full width shallow middle and a deep full width lower. Add the space under the lid that was deep enough to store air tools and deep sockets upright on rails, and a tray beneath you can fit a surprising amount of gear in them at the sacrifice of absolute order. Very handy for wheeling around your job to save you walking back and forth too! I wish Id kept it along side my current box now to do just that. 

The Halfords ones seem dead on to have at home. 

Edited by SamKidney

Still haven't heard back from the guy about the Halfords stuff, grr! Cheers for all of your input though, I nearly made the bad decision of buying a budget cabinet before.

I just can't justify Snap On prices, they may be nice but that's a substantial amount I could be spending on tooling that will help me actually earn money rather than making my life a little easier and neater. I will keep an eye out for 'damaged' units, I don't care about a few battle scars or dents, as long as it functions and looks reasonably neat.

I may have to pause on the rolling cab purchase as I've been offered the chance to buy a complete wood workshop outfit, I've got first dibs so I need to work out costs and see what I can sell of mine to aid the investment! I may just buy a few machines and leave the rest, it is hard to know where to stop....

I have a bunch of halfords tools and they are great for what i need. Better than the cheap stuff and if anything dies its only a 5min drive down the road to replace (ive not actually killed anything yet).  I have a few bluepoint / snap on bits but mainly stuff that halfords don't do (old imperial stuff).

Got that twatty intercooler fitted then? ;) Nice work! What are they standard?

Just got some hours in on Big Tone after work, it's now got a working clutch which means it's full steam ahead to get it running this weekend.

IMG_1345.jpg

Also I need a lower jack, having to do this to reach under the sills every time is a bit silly. But I could definitely bring back the 70s street rod look...

IMG_1343.jpg

• Like 2