The Car Thread

MadManMike

Ford people I need help! My girlfriend has a Street KA and the front bushes are shot. It appears that standard KA arms are too short as the Street KA has a widened track. Can standard KA bushes be fitted to the original arms?

Also one of the rear springs is broken. It appears the Street KA has shortened springs over standard, are these going to be Ford only? I can't seem to find any online which are actually for the Sport model!

So I tried fitting my fmic yesterday and had to give up at 10pm because angle grinding in the dark is not the one.

So far I've trimmed about 10mm from the bumper support, much more from the bumper itself and I've still got to cut a hole in my inner wing to run pipework. I've also had to turn the horns around, trim my a/c fan cover and re locate my temp sensor

Has anyone got a spare will to live?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

Edited by Azarathal
  • Like 1

What a lovely day to be out driving, up until the point of the coolant bottle's securing bodge from the previous owner (a cable tie) fails and the bottle gets twatted by the fan and splits open.

1 Nissan Micra radfan installed
1 MK1 golf coolant bottle installed with nearly no bodging.

Times overheated..... still 0, coolant come out of the opening on the bonnet and made it clear....
Next on the Agenda  get the twats cooling system bumped up! which leads me to a question:
IF i go and buy a uprated rad, so long as its the same size, do i need to worry about anything else?

Should hopefully be dropping it off tomorrow to have the gearbox replaced with a fully reburbed box and having it mapped, auto ecu has flat spots and it's running like shit.

finally got the front mount on, no matter what I do I can't get the Intercooler central so the bumper can't sit properly and there's a boost leak but I've triple checked everything and all clamps are tight with a good seal :(

Mr brothers A4 B6 saloons boot won't open but makes a solenoid noise suggesting it's a mechanical fault. Funny thing is he doesn't have fold down seats... so far the only way I have found to access it is by removing the seats and cutting out the big steel sheet behind! Alternatively destroy the boot instead. Any other ideas?

Same thing happened to my Octavia. It's a common fault apparently. The grease they install in the little motor from new gradually gets gunky and hardens and eventually the little plastic wheels strip. 
If you catch it early though, you can just squirt a load of GT85 in there and it'll work again. This does require getting the boot open first though - Luckily my boot can be opened manually from the inside 

nobody but you would ever read that as GS...

That's essentially the same thing as any personalised plate though.  It'd be cheaper and easier to just write "MY NAME IS _______" on your car instead, then spend that (shitload of) extra cash on something useful :P

• Like 1

More information needed on this bread trick... WTF?

Forteh's got it, felt like some sort of MacGyver moment. 

Anyway, I did a thing yesterday, on my own, in flip flops and shorts. 

Started out from the front, with manifolds and fan, feeling brave. 

IMG_1318_1.jpg

Rapidly gave up on that as everything was hitting everything else and then found out that the crane was too short to reach where it needed to be. Improved angle of dangle;

IMG_1322.jpg

Boom, instant lows. 

IMG_1325.jpg

Still gotta tighten up the bellhousing bolts as I had to leave immediately after this happened, got an inch or so to go in yet and the clutch pedal is still on the floor... Might have to all come out again but fingers crossed it sorts its shit out when it's fully in and i've done a little adjustment. 

• Like 4

Love that car, when are you hoping to have it back up and running?

Quite chuffed, 3 door Astra front grills command a premium over 5 doors (between £50 and £70) but I managed to get one for £15 locally to replace mine that was stolen. The car now looks a bit tidier

Porsche is up and running a treat, done a few miles in it and it feels so much tighter now after its steering overhaul. I need to get a few bulbs fitted in the dash and wire up the radio but it's pretty much there now :)

That's essentially the same thing as any personalised plate though.  It'd be cheaper and easier to just write "MY NAME IS _______" on your car instead, then spend that (shitload of) extra cash on something useful :P

I can't really say much, I have 2 personal plates :P

Subaru ownership is still shit.

Spot the zip tie.

13173682_1741757376039436_70165153252466

Went to Prawns wedding, drove it 200 miles the day after, took it for a drive all across the back of Salisbury through to Mytchett and then back through Chandlers Ford to pick Stephanie up from the airport.

Drove home, and about five minutes from home I heard a weird squeal like there was water on the auxiliary belt.

Weird.

As I pulled onto the motorway to go up one junction I heard it squeal again. 

Weird.

As I pulled off the motorway the squeal became constant, and the temperature gauge started to rise. So I put the heaters on full (in 25* heat) and the temp gauge started to drop down again.

About 500 yards from home the heaters went cold and steam started billowing from under the bonnet.

Opened the bonnet, coolant everywhere.

Boo.

Borrowed a friends pressure tester.

13092089_1741756739372833_84454871719106

Found the top radiator hose had been touching the fan.

13124847_1741756889372818_16260154137821

13174107_1741756892706151_74984447551413

Hence the zip tie.

What sort of willy zip ties something like that out the way of the fan...