The Car Thread

MadManMike

They're really fun to drive. I used to service an 06 WRX STI that had been mapped to something above 350bhp and it was a rocket. 

I fit my rear anti roll bar this afternoon, quiet evenings at work are brilliant haha. 

image.jpeg

Collecting a standard exhaust mani this weekend, ditch the shit 4-1 and hopefully improve the fit. 

5 hours ago, george_seamons said:

Driving the lipstick car obviously went to your head :P 

It isn't fast at the moment, because I've lost the f**king keys! 

Stephanie and I think they've been stolen and they'll come back for the car tonight. 

0 to 60 4.8 seconds is stupid fast. Even if you're too much of a cock to admit it :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

I love how just because a car isn't over a certain bhp it can't be classed as fast.

Exactly, because no matter how many BHP's you've got if your car is this low - 

12814160_10154029752181052_1647764801784

in the real world the only race you'll win is to the back of the Q at GSF for a new sump. 

It's not all about power anyway, I take my Eunos way over the Golf GT I have and the remapped Leon I had before that (And that's ignoring the faults, I mean to actually drive).

My car had 115bhp 25 years ago, it's probably got about 80 at the moment, but it's way more fun than any other car I've owned.

Going through the alarm logs on our house someone entered the house yesterday morning whilst I was in the shower. 

Keys for the Subaru have been nicked. 

Currently on my way to a dealer to pick up a new ignition lock, chip reader and transponder key. Auto electrician is coming out tonight to reset the tracker, alarm and immobiliser codes. 

£500 down the drain...

Got my new key, unlocks all the doors, works the ignition and I can bypass the alarm with the code (it's a super sophisticated alarm!) 

I just can't start it until the transponders get codes. 

So I have cleaned out the garage and tucked Raggy up until an auto locksmith comes out. Which will hopefully be tonight. 

13047698_1735746689973838_73791717884409

I wanted to get my steering column out so that I could change the firewall bearing, unfortunately the bolts that hold it on are blind headed and really hard to remove without the dash being out. An hour of swearing at rusted screws and I revealed this nightmare.....

DSC_0731_zpsclea6nzz.jpg

It's a mess and mostly self induced due to poor access and lazyness. Although it's going to be no fun tidying it, at least I can make it all safe and neat with reasonable ease whilst the dash isn't in. Ideally I would refurbish the dash but I haven't really got the time or money to be doing cosmetic stuff right now, that'll be a job for the winter.

DSC_0732_zpswfedys22.jpg

DSC_0733_zpsunn7obe7.jpg

It may not be clear from the photos but I have been tidying the wiring, some bits I have trimmed to length and joined with chocolate blocks until I get my soldering iron back to join them neatly. I have some conduit that i'll whack over the remote central locking loom to cover it up and keep it all neat.

In May my Porsche will be doing 2x15 minute track sessions at Silverstone, I'm assuming not one straight after the other. Apart from ensuring everything is mechanically sorted what else should I be looking to do?

Should I change the engine oil and filter? If so do I do it before or after? It's not due a service until the end of summer but I'm happy to change the oil sooner if it keeps the engine going as I already have a filter and oil ready to go.

How much abuse will my tyres realistically get? I have about 3mm left front and rear, I did wonder if I should bring a spare pair with me but perhaps I'm over worrying?

The cooling system is spot on as are the brakes. I'm having an alignment done once I refurbish my steering column and steering rack as I know it is not set up correctly and certainly won't be any better after I pull it all apart!

I really wouldn't worry about anything for half an hours hammering?!

I took my Golf to the 'ring with very little thought and nailed it around for 9 laps (and it's steep if you haven't been!), the things that let me down were the oil temperature was mental high which didn't actually cause an issue but the stock water/oil exchange cooler was not up to the job at all, and the gearbox blew up, which wouldn't have been a maintenance thing anyway and was due to my mate changing gears like a shithead...

The tyres on it at the time were not the best, and didn't really suffer in roughly an hour and a half of beasting them.

Edited by Jolfa

On 22 April 2016 at 4:48 PM, Pashley26 said:

Exactly, because no matter how many BHP's you've got if your car is this low - 

12814160_10154029752181052_1647764801784

in the real world the only race you'll win is to the back of the Q at GSF for a new sump. 

Nope. Shed loads of clearance. It's actually been raised since that picture anyway, that was just after the coilovers were fitted. Anyway, genuine only for this ;)

Having been in several WRX STIs, "stupid fast" is not how I would describe them (very very nearly bought one a few years back). Quick, yes...but I wouldn't class 300bhp in a 1390kg car "stupid", it's 219bhp per ton.

500bhp+ is "stupid fast" :P 

Sucks about the keys. I'd be more worried how they got in to get the keys in the first place though! Do you think maybe it's somebody who knows you? 

Travelled down to Worthersee for 10 days. My friends S14a's driveshaft broke on the way down and is currently stuck in France. Talked to a few people and found someone 40 minutes from where the car is stored with the parts to fix it, what are the chances?! A few of our group are going back to get it down here tomorrow. Will post more photos if people want to see it, the cars out here are probably not to anyones taste on here though, all low on air-ride.

IMG_7111.jpg

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7187.jpg

9 hours ago, george_seamons said:

Sucks about the keys. I'd be more worried how they got in to get the keys in the first place though! Do you think maybe it's somebody who knows you? 

Is anyone actually believing the keys were anything but lost?

• Like 1