Sean Watson - Get Creative

cacklemus

Note wrong with being a fanny. Note wrong with middleburns and nothing wrong with 36h rims. Can't quite work out what your point is?

If you want to get personal about things i suggest we don't argue on here about it.

I never said there was anything wrong with them?! If you can't understand what i'm getting at i'd suggest reading the post a few more times, and failing that perhaps go get one of your family members to digest the post for you.

i know this post will be hated but i don't like the way trials is going i dont even consider this trials any more.

you might as well bmx cause this is all it is but less impressive. If you like it or not trails is side hops gaps/to front and balance.

this is just street mountain biking.

Agree with what you say totally, but, as a vid, its awesomely shot and edited, music works and it entertained me throughout. Great vid.

But why you don't like it?

The TGS comment makes no sense, how did you conclude I only like TGS videos?

It seems a little like Hipsters, they try so hard to be different that they succeed, but end up just looking really really odd too. Just think it was so far removed from a regular trials or street trials video for me; 24" street trials used to be called "shit BMX" and that's exactly what this looks like to me.

A colleague of mine this morning just told me about a video he saw on Pinkbike or Dirt about a "really cool guy doing different tricks" so it's good to see Sean's video having a wider appeal. If you're impressing MTBers who are usually a miserable, sceptical bunch then thats a good sign - seems strange that they'd be more open minded than some trials riders though.

The TGS comment makes no sense, how did you conclude I only like TGS videos?

It seems a little like Hipsters, they try so hard to be different that they succeed, but end up just looking really really odd too. Just think it was so far removed from a regular trials or street trials video for me; 24" street trials used to be called "shit BMX" and that's exactly what this looks like to me.

Couldn't agree more. 3 years ago everyone was saying Macaskill wasnt riding trials, now everyone is doing it with or without brakes!

love watching seans vids so creative and people moaning about its bmx on a trials bike but bmx started as racing not street riding its just people pushing the sport to new heights i will admit the last month of me owning an inspired has been the most fun riding in the 4/5 years or riding trials period instead or riding to inch pinch and brag about it on here and facebook its just about riding with your friends and enjoying yourself

• Like 2

Riding to me as always been about riding and having fun though none lf my friends do it :/

But you say its about pushing the sport and you said it yourself there doing bmx stuff on trials bikes. Thats pushing it towards bmx style of riding which is already out there.

Bmx as gone a long way and changed over the years but this is to far from what trials was and is just bmx street mountain bike style on a trials bike which is already out there. This is not a new form of trials this is a bmx style of riding on a trials bike

I did enjoy the vid and the skateboard stuff was good.

Just i think this type of riding is already about. Look at dylan tremblay same stuff just less impressive but he is not called a trials rider.

I just watched a couple of his videos and I didn't really see much of a resemblance? Also, if you look at the riding that Sean does there is actually a lot of trials-based moves in there. I'd say Sean was a trials rider taking influences from other types of riding, whereas that Dylan guy was just a MTBer doing slightly more technical stuff than other people were back then? Sean actually has a nice style too :P

It's also about incorporating other moves into trials like I said before. I can't remember who it was, but a couple of years ago someone did a no-handed static gap. A static gap is a trials move, but a no hander is a BMX move. By your logic, would you call that "Just doing BMX"? This whole way of riding is just mixing all those different styles up and creating new things, which Sean is doing.

'Shit BMX' used to be what people called that sort of stuff in a derogatory way which then got taken over by the people actually doing it. That style of riding is now 'acceptable' to most. History seems to be repeating itself?

Having been lucky enough to ride with Sean quite a bit when he was over in the UK last year, it also seems he's not going out there just to try and be different to everyone else - he just is different to everyone else. We rode a bunch of spots that I've been to quite a few times and he was looking at lines I'd just never have thought of. There are other people out there who more conventional trials like that - Rowan, for example, rides lines totally different to other riders out there but I wouldn't say Rowan was a 'hipster trying to be different'.

• Like 2

To me, trials has always been about going out and having fun whilst pushing yourself to try new things. Doesn't matter how you do it. And i've never really understood why people get so butt hurt about what 'street' riders are doing because when I started (2003) thats how everyone was doing it! We used to spend hours watching the trials kings videos then going out and nearly killing ourselves trying to do X-ups and stuff like that.

Theres a fine line between making a video thats really creative and pushing street trials in the right direction and just doing BMX and calling it trials 'cause you're on a trials bike. The people doing it right for me are Joe Maher, TRA, Rowan, Flipp and Ali. Never been disappointed with anything they've made and theres always something really quirky in their videos that no one else is doing.

I think the people who ride this kind of riding should to get a new name to describe it...'creative style' or something....then the people will not discuss about this beacause it will have its own name...

• Like 1

Clear determination of styles and saying that %ridername% is %stylename% rider is STUPID DEGENERATIVE CRAP!

I very like Bruce Lee's words about that:

I have not invented a "new style," composite, modified or otherwise that is set within distinct form as apart from "this" method or "that" method. On the contrary, I hope to free my followers from clinging to styles, patterns, or molds. Remember that Jeet Kune Do is merely a name used, a mirror in which to see "ourselves". . . Jeet Kune Do is not an organized institution that one can be a member of. Either you understand or you don't, and that is that. There is no mystery about my style. My movements are simple, direct and non-classical. The extraordinary part of it lies in its simplicity. Every movement in Jeet Kune-Do is being so of itself. There is nothing artificial about it. I always believe that the easy way is the right way. Jeet Kune-Do is simply the direct expression of one's feelings with the minimum of movements and energy. The closer to the true way of Kung Fu, the less wastage of expression there is. Finally, a Jeet Kune Do man who says Jeet Kune Do is exclusively Jeet Kune Do is simply not with it. He is still hung up on his self-closing resistance, in this case anchored down to reactionary pattern, and naturally is still bound by another modified pattern and can move within its limits. He has not digested the simple fact that truth exists outside all molds; pattern and awareness is never exclusive. Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back.

• Like 1

10/10 entertaining wise! Sean knows well how to work his image. Editing was simple, it really went well with the music and B&W was definitely a good choice! Color can be tricky sometimes. I rather prefer seeing nick's or flips GET entries than this one but I guess It comes down to preference of the content. Btw, those nose manuals make me jealous.

• 2 weeks later...