Damon Watson- Zoot Clip

Andeee

I have a feeling that the sentiment of 'I just like to see great riding by people who are better than me at what we do - whether thats a sidehop (preferably in a line) or a brakeless gap with a spin on the end' will get lost in the noise here.

• Like 5

This new street trials, is nothing like what we did 10 years ago, the bikes may be similar with being short wheel base and seats etc but the idea of trials is to negotiate over obsticles is it not? Not ride around in circles doing 360s?

Got a video on my phone that Leon made in 2000, within the first 12 seconds he does a 180 bunnyhop to front wheel on a bench and pivots straight round and off the other side then 2 seconds later does a wallride. Seems pretty much like what some people do nowadays.

If we're going with that approach, by your own logic, youre wrong. TGS is a test to see how far you can push the limits of your riding, Going big and taking risks. Youre testing yourself against every natural sense of self preservation to execute that move in a calculated and presice manner, in the same way that calculated and presice judgements are needed while riding competition.

So, by your logic, regardless of whether someones riden the comps or not, theyre still riding trials.

If testing your abilities counts as a trial, then any occasion where a person is pushing what they can do is trials, so now it must include wallrides and 360s and anything else, including what Sean Watson gets up to.

It's ok everyone, crisis over. Logic gave us the answer - we all ride trials.

• Like 3

It seems like whenever Damons name gets mentioned the thread turns into a massive debate about style. Who cares at the end of the day. Why don't people just comment on the clip and say if they like it or not. Personally I wasn't that impressed as he's done it hundreds of times before but I'm also aware that he was just mucking about. It'll be good to see if he can bring anything new to the table if he does get a street bike, I think he can but as I mentioned above its down to how he enjoys riding and not how other people think he should.

• Like 1

Creating a tension from one thing to another i see?

Define the word inflammatory if you think i am the one who does it all the time i might decide to class it as banter if anything. Pretty much see people the likes of many others on here who do it all the time so don't go pointing a stick at me as if its a big crime pal.

You don't even know me dude. Stop waffling. Why do i seem to get the impression of having to bow down to you for someone who thinks they are massively clever writing a post in the most academic manner going.

Get to me know me before you judge me besides the internet and a keyboard sure does give us all a bit of confidence for a lot of people.

On another note relating to this topic due to some moron called ben posting a inflammatory post.

I think would be pretty sick seeing damon making a video on a 24" bike.

I've got to admit that I struggle to write in any other style because when I've been spending time studying that just seems to happen. Not that I've written in a way that's inaccessible though so I can't see that it matters. I've also got to say that my reaction was a bit needless. I've tended to avoid these types of 'debate' over the last few years, because nobody really listens to the other side, but the last couple of months I've found my frustration is easily brought about. In other words, posting about these types of things doesn't really achieve anything. I'll also admit that I've somewhat hijacked this thread by discussing stuff that is beyond it.

That being said, I have continually seen you making provocative statements including a baseless one about a conspiracy in the GETcreative competition. The extent of my assumptions may be wrong but I definitely think, to some extent, that your intentions aren't good on here. That doesn't mean I'm saying that the way you are on here is the way you are in 'real' life. I'm sure you're a decent enough chap away from the internet and I'd happily try having a conversation with you on a ride. I don't really carry frustrations on the internet away from the internet. However, on here, you shit stir (are those better terms?) and it doesn't serve anyone including yourself. I'd also happily tell you this in real life.

So, in other words, I'm not judging your whole character regarding the whole of your life but your behaviour on here is quite obviously negative. You're interested in causing strife. I try to imagine what other intention you might have but I can't. Perhaps you want to enlighten me about what you think your intentions actually are when you say things you almost certainly know will cause arguments? I struggle to imagine it's banter because that's something you do with people who will appreciate it as such; that isn't the case in the instance of repeatedly saying that a certain style of riding is excluded from the meaning of 'trials'.

I wish I hadn't got involved in this to be honest. As I said, I've avoided this sort of thing for a while now.

If testing your abilities counts as a trial, then any occasion where a person is pushing what they can do is trials, so now it must include wallrides and 360s and anything else, including what Sean Watson gets up to.

Actually, I thought about it more, and according to this logic, anyone who pushes their limits on a bike rides trials. I want everyone to give a warm welcome to all the downhill, dirt jump, bmx, and road riders who are now trials riders.

I have a feeling that the sentiment of 'I just like to see great riding by people who are better than me at what we do - whether thats a sidehop (preferably in a line) or a brakeless gap with a spin on the end' will get lost in the noise here.

couldn't have put it better myself. you lot all need to grow up a bit. it's a bloke riding a bike who is slightly better than most of us at riding a bike. and someone took the time and effort to show us said bloke riding a bike. that's it pure and simple. not worth all this bitching

Actually, I thought about it more, and according to this logic, anyone who pushes their limits on a bike rides trials. I want everyone to give a warm welcome to all the downhill, dirt jump, bmx, and road riders who are now trials riders.

Trials is defined as a sport, just like football or tennis?

Trials is defined as a sport, just like football or tennis?

Well, yeah, but no because no-one can really agree what it means, and more importantly, how the meaning is represented in activity. So I decided to go further back and use the word itself to try and clarify it and as it happens, most things you do on a bike count as trials. Including when I try to bomb it to work on my commuting bike faster than the time before, because I am trialling myself, I am pushing my limits.

Why not start a thread called what is trials and we can all discuss it for days and leave this thread to comment on a sidehop on a Zoot. The new thread could even be pinned as it seems to come up on a monthly basis. Even better would be a "Your A C**t" thread for us all to have a go at each other.

• Like 1

The thing about meanings, that nobody seems to recognise, is that we make them up. Therefore words mean what we want them to mean - they do not describe reality as it is but rather they indicate what parts of reality we want to consider (as a meaning/word). The history of language is a history of changing meanings for any given word such that it incorporates a world that constantly changes. Most sports develop and change in some sense yet they usually retain the same word because there is a general sameness that connects an earlier form with a later one. Some sports are less open ended and therefore recognising similarities and continuity is easier but other sports are much more open ended meaning it's more difficult r to identify an older form with a newer one.

But none of that really matters anyway. I just enjoy being part of a community that includes a TGS form and a 'free' form. The only thing I imagine really coming from excluding the latter from a definition of trials is a possible division in the community. I can't see what the purpose of constantly trying emphasise their differences is other than that? And yes there are differences but there are also significant similarities. Anyone trying to deny them is just deluding themselves.

Edited by Ben Rowlands
  • Like 2

This whole "trials isn't trials unless its trials" arguement is getting a bit old now and really needs to be put to bed.

Patronising "trials history lessons", leaving non-constructive negitive feedback on video's, TGS extremist putting the metaphorical "Jehad" on street riders and vica versa. This all really needs to stop!!

come on guy, chill out! this thread is like re-reading a really bad book. Surely people must be getting just as bored of typing the same drool over and over on countless treads as I am of reading it?

• Like 1

I'll admit, I was wrong. :(

Everyone just needs to ignore andeee's posts for the rest of his trials forum life.

Even Ross had the sense just to leave the forum and never come back.

cos that's not going to antagonise people much is it. talk about trying to keep the peace, or not as the case may be

• Like 1