Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

Cheers dude. Will likely head up to Cannock again one weekend between now and summer so will let you know.

I'm keen to throw something a tad shorter on the SJ. Currently on a 70mm but fancy ~50 or so for flicky fun. We'll see - need something similar on Soph's Boardman ideally.

Orange is looking seriously sweet!

• Like 1

Just got the brakes and gears finished on the Boardman for the GF and off to a trail centre or two tomorrow to try them both out.

I may have forgotten that I needed to helicoil one of her brake mounts, but what she doesn't know won't hurt her. Hopefully...

In related news: After spotting a photo of a particularly brutal shin split from a local rider on FB she's asked me to sort her out some pads. Picked up some women's RaceFace knee/shins which should be ideal in the CRC clearance sale :)

Those are some very nice bikes man, got a soft spot for that stumpy!

Short fun stem is short and very fun..

Made a quick bike really fun. Had a blast around pines this morning and it even climbs nicer! Very worthwhile!

Now that you mention it perhaps I should try a short stem on the intense although it would pain me massively to take my thompson elite off :(

That said I do already have a 50mm stem, one that I machined from a block of dural (that I picked up from an autojumble for a fiver) based off an old cnc machined exotica dh stem that was around in the late '90s, can't recall exactly what it was called but I seem to recall the number 7 being in the name. Only problem is I can't remember if I machined it for 7/8" or 1" bars. I'll have to dig it out the shed and see if it fits my monkeylites :)

edit: there is a 50mm version of my thompson on ebay for a tenner so far, sweet :D

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

Not arrived yet tom ;)

So going from 70 to 50 made a big difference? So me going from a 90 to 50 will be even better? Due to my short stature and the inherent way the evp on the intense squats when you manual I really struggle to loft it up to the balance point, moving the bars back 40mm will help!

Ahh, thought it'd have all kicked off by now!

I went 70mm-40mm and it's made a nice difference, feels a lot more straight up and able to get power through my legs. I always struggle to get the five to balance point without over egging it, but it feels about right now. Looking foward to getting back on something abit tougher to really test out the set up. Shame my front disc suddenly suck dick :(

I went 70mm-40mm and it's made a nice difference, feels a lot more straight up and able to get power through my legs. I always struggle to get the five to balance point without over egging it, but it feels about right now. Looking foward to getting back on something abit tougher to really test out the set up. Shame my front disc suddenly suck dick :(

She did the same with Reuben when he was born 5 years ago, her waters broke and he was born 2 days later, the pool is all ready to be filled, just a waiting game now :)

The main problem I have is that the evp just loves to sag and I struggle to get my weight far enough back, I can loft it for drops etc but decent size bunnyhops are always a bit sketchy because I can't guaruntee getting the front wheel right up.

Edited by forteh

the second hand Trek EX8 WSD frame I bought for Jane arrived today, I'm pretty happy with it and I'm super impressed with how light it is! I've taken it all apart to be painted once I decide on some rims in my price range (black with a pink rocker, her two fave colours) and then it's time to build. Got her a second hand reverb post, a selection of Hope parts (hubs, headset, stem), conti tyres and some Magura discs. Can't wait to surprise her with it!

23ld360.jpg

• Like 4

I didn't like a short stem, found it put my weight too much over the rear end on climbing and made the front end very light and vague. Was not a fan at all

I dare say you have a bit more weight than me though so the transfer of mass would be more noticeable ;)

I'm in a trap though, I want to try a 50mm stem, but I need 25.4 clamp and it has to be as light as the Thomson elite I have already - this basically limits me to a 50mm Thomson elite :D

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

I didn't like a short stem, found it put my weight too much over the rear end on climbing and made the front end very light and vague. Was not a fan at all

Short stem, broom handle bars - win. I peddled Jenny's bike with 650mm bars on Sunday and realised how sketchy that shit felt.

I'm getting dirty thoughts of building a 29" hardtail, something like a onone parkwood or something. It's disgusting to think of :(

Haha, dont you start now. :P I am very tempted. If I can find a cheapish direct mount thick-thin for the XOs I might try it. I can still remember putting a chain guide on for the first time and not having to give a toss about worrying about dropping a chain anymore. One of the best feelings ever ;) Good old 48 tooth MRP guide :S

Haha, dont you start now. :P I am very tempted. If I can find a cheapish direct mount thick-thin for the XOs I might try it. I can still remember putting a chain guide on for the first time and not having to give a toss about worrying about dropping a chain anymore. One of the best feelings ever ;) Good old 48 tooth MRP guide :S

I saw all that chat last night (sorry, pish) and thought I wouldn't bother arguing against, but basically, yeah, they do work. They do need to be paired with a clutch mech to have maximum effect and you will drop a chain every now and again in the roughest of conditions, but not due to mud. Everyone I ride with runs them, and I'm the only one who uses a top guide. I've never been on a ride where someone has dropped a chain and that's riding a real variety of chains. On my old bike once the chainring was a bit old when riding GT only on the dry, rough end section I did drop a chain, once, but it is uncommon.

A lot of people who race will run a top guide for security so you have the best of both worlds, but most importantly nothing rubbing on your chain.

The Blackspire mono veloce Snaggletooth is what I was running and was very good. I may even have a used 32t 104 BCD one spare possibly….

• Like 1

Well, in that case! :D

Yea, thats the thing. My mech is clutch-less. Boo :(

Might be worth holding off for now then until potential change in the future. If your current setup works….why change.

P.S. Carbon cranks…… #poshcunt

I've got a clutchless mech and my wolftooth narrow wide has only dropped the chain once, that was when I went otb into a tree, my forks were backwards and my shoulder and face were bleeding so wasn't so bothered about the dropped chain :)

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1