Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

First semi proper ride on my Heckler today. Was 50/50 split of flattish trails and road work with the odd little downhill and was very unplanned but very enjoyable!

Was only supposed to be going to the 6 mile marker here https://www.endomondo.com/workouts/394242620/1558071 and back but fancied a challenge.

Well happy as I'm a lot fitter than I thought and have realised with a 32t up front I don't need anything bigger than a 36 on the back which has saved a few quid!

DSC_9890_zps3e34a131.jpg

Hes right! I've just stuck a spare 60mm on and it feels much better. More planted and controllable but really responsive too. Now I just need to find a super light weight 60mm as the spare is a TANK!

Any updates? The first thing I thought when I saw your bike is that the stem was way too long.

You should treat it to an integrated carbon bar/stem :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Downtube clamp on the roof rack chewed the stickers up on the SC so got some custom replacements made up by Indiprint. Wood effect was Lucys idea as she's been dying to try it out and I reckon it works well with the brown saddle. Still needs bigger forks and a dropper though!

DSC_9971_zpspd1jskhn.jpg

DSC_9973_zpsf4hprwdc.jpg

DSC_9975_zpsg8kztb5p.jpg

DSC_9976_zps5jzrkkaa.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if I've posted my mtb before, so here we go

How do you find the seat post? I see no reason to spend £300 when for £60 you can get something nearly as good that doesn't need servicing and bled every 5 minutes! I've always run mine with a Suntour lock out lever as the stock thing seemed a bit... shit.

How do you find the seat post? I see no reason to spend £300 when for £60 you can get something nearly as good that doesn't need servicing and bled every 5 minutes! I've always run mine with a Suntour lock out lever as the stock thing seemed a bit... shit.

Do go on!

Unless that's a 'proper' Gravity Dropper post it looks very similar to my cheapo Tmars dropper that cost about £45 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161172390535) and has three heights, 110mm down, 55mm down and up and is cable actuated with a simple pin that's released by the lever and seems to work just fine. The lever they come with is a fairly clumsy big omnidirection thing that feels anything but positive so I used a Suntour fork lockout unit that I didn't need to replace it which gives a far nicer feel and is nice and minimalist on the bars. Similar procedure shown here: http://goatshell.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/origin8-tmars-dropper-seatpost-1st_3.html though I've used a little barrel lock thing with grub screws to finish the cable (possibly from an old Magura HS33 mounting kit?) which is nicer than the ugly solution that dude's used.

• Like 1

Cheers for the link, I've ordered one :) I don't ride enough to justify a high cost one and prefer mechanical simplicity over seemingly unreliable hydraulics :P

I posted this in the car thread but seeing as it involves bikes i'll whack it here too. Modified bike rack to accept fork mount, with home made 20mm adaptor. It is rock solid now and works very well :) Bike hasn't changed in ages apart from a 32t ring and a 3D printed chain guide that I've been working on, works well!

2014-10-27111910_zpsf8765f8c.jpg

2014-10-27111901_zpsfcb5cd27.jpg

Unless that's a 'proper' Gravity Dropper post it looks very similar to my cheapo Tmars dropper that cost about £45 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161172390535) and has three heights, 110mm down, 55mm down and up and is cable actuated with a simple pin that's released by the lever and seems to work just fine. The lever they come with is a fairly clumsy big omnidirection thing that feels anything but positive so I used a Suntour fork lockout unit that I didn't need to replace it which gives a far nicer feel and is nice and minimalist on the bars. Similar procedure shown here: http://goatshell.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/origin8-tmars-dropper-seatpost-1st_3.html though I've used a little barrel lock thing with grub screws to finish the cable (possibly from an old Magura HS33 mounting kit?) which is nicer than the ugly solution that dude's used.

It is indeed a cheapo Tmars one. Only had it on for a couple of rides, but so far it is faultless. Though you say it has 3 heights? I only seem to have 2...

Agreed the level thing is a bit rubbish, but it works and it was cheap, so I haven't bothered messing with it yet :P

Ah fair enough. I know there are a few different versions out there and if you ever get into the workings of it there's nothing stopping you drilling another hole in the telescoping tube to give you the third position. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but I really can't fault mine either, especially for £45!

Ah fair enough. I know there are a few different versions out there and if you ever get into the workings of it there's nothing stopping you drilling another hole in the telescoping tube to give you the third position. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but I really can't fault mine either, especially for £45!

Hmm that's tempting actually, then I could have my 'up' position a bit higher (for very steep hills!).

Aye they are pretty ugly, but I cant see it whilst riding so it's all good ;)