Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

A load of drag? My chain rolls over the jockey wheel on the bottom and slips through the top guide without touching it. Hardly what I would call drag. The loss of clattering and banging would be nice with a clutch mech, I have to agree.

Cummon old man, the times they are a changing.

P.S. You'd be surprised how much freer the drivetrain will feel when not going through a guide.

I was really shocked at how much drag my mrp system1 added, I've been using it for 11 years and never considered what effect it has. The clattering was actually from the chain slapping against the side plates of the mrp, the mech still clunks occasionally but the noise even without a clutch is massively less.

It's an odd feeling, similar to using tubeless for the first time, it just takes so much less effort and feels a lot smoother :)

I've got a superstar narrow wide with a sram x9 mech, and I've only dropped the chain once, and that was on a mega rough bit at Gisburn. Next upgrade will be a zee mech, shifter chain and cassette

Instagram wackness, but hey...

attachicon.giflp-1.jpg

2013 LaPierre Zesty 414. Only modifications are Shimano Saint pedals and a Reverb dropper post. It's the first time I've had a 'proper' mountainbike since about 1999!

Can't go wrong with a 414, I think the Zesty's rode better than Spicy's with the 2013 models. My friend had that exact model and was a flyer on it.

There should be pics of a 2015 Lapierre in the next week or so once my build is complete.

Ive never got to my last gear and thought, f**k me, I need two more! Whatever you enjoy spending your money on eh..

Noob alert. Cycled/pushed up my favorite hill last night, utilising my fork lock out system. Bombed it back down. Once I was at the bottom, I noticed it was still locked out. I have no idea how I didn't notice as its pretty flippin rough and fast. Its probably why I can't move my neck today!

I chest-strap-Go-pro'd the run. Ill try and post it here soon. Bet you can't wait..

Edited by Ross McArthur
  • Like 1

Ive never got to my last gear and thought, f**k me, I need two more! Whatever you enjoy spending your money on eh..

Noob alert. Cycled/pushed up my favorite hill last night, utilising my fork lock out system. Bombed it back down. Once I was at the bottom, I noticed it was still locked out. I have no idea how I didn't notice as its pretty flippin rough and fast. Its probably why I can't move my neck today!

I chest-strap-Go-pro'd the run. Ill try and post it here soon. Bet you can't wait..

YOU'VE ONLY GOT 9 GEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

You only need more gears if you can't generate the torque with your legs, that's what I say!

It's not about the number of gears, it's the range…. and unfortunately you don't get such a range on 9 speed setups when running a single ring. A simple double or triple setup has a bigger gear range than any 1x11 setup so it's not about the number of gears at all.

I've used 10 speed for a few years with a single ring and the mountains I get to ride here certainly can test you (3.5k ft of climbing on Monday) but if you're riding for 5-6 hours + it's amazing what saving the legs on the odd climb can do to keep you ticking over for the rest of the day.

I was being somewhat facetious :)

Fully understand the advantages of 11speed with the dinner plate sprocket on the cassette for the proper climbing.

In my opinion 10 speed without the huge sprocket added aftermarket is no different to 9 speed; with a big ring added to a 10 speed cassette don't you lose the 2nd highest sprocket to make space and effectively end up with a 9 speed with a ratio jump at the top?

• Like 1