Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

15mm ID 20mm OD 99mm long sleeve?

Who'd a thunk it, the qr20 axle from my old z3 bombers is 20mm od, 15mm id, 150mm long. It's surplus to requirements because the fork lowers that it fits to are cracked on the brake mount so not safe for use. How well it fits onto the qr15 axle remains to be seen but it's an option.

w0grqt.jpg

Front end of Jane's bike is coming along, I just built the front wheel. I was going to have it painted pink (as I was going to buy a second hand rear rim and it was the easiest way to get them to match) but in the end I've decided to just buy another of the same rim (Kore Mega) as they're pretty cheap on CR and painted rims would scratch and mark with tyre changes.

Frame is off to the painters within the next few days then I can get it all built up :)

• Like 2

85-115mm travel, steerer is 210mm 1 1/8".

They're 2008 Reba teams, dual air, u-turn travel adjust, motion control compression/rebound damping, poploc remote lock out, 9mm qr, iso disk mount, around 1700g.

I bought then off Paul Oliver (curtis rider) last year, he had them from new and fully refurbished and serviced them before selling to me. I've since put about 100odd miles on them so still running smooth as hell. Paul sprayed the lowers black and applied new stickers.

The forks are super smooth and plush, they honestly piss all over my old z1 bam bombers which suprised me and they have mental amounts of adjustment available. The stanchions are in excellent condition with no wear or scratches, the seals are all good.

The only negatives would be that a tiny amount of oil weeps out of the top of the u-turn travel adjuster if you leave the bike upside down for a long time, this is a common fault with the reba and tf tuned can fix it if needed, it doesn't bother me enough to mess around with though. The poploc action when locking the fork out is a bit vague, there's a knack to getting it to lock out straight away but it stays locked no problems.

I would keep the rebas if they were an inch longer but as the marzocchis came up at the right price I couldn't say no! I paid 100 for the rebas and the going price for them at the moment seems to be around 100-120, I'll let them go for 80 + postage at cost if that's fair?

Bit too short travel for me dude, I'm on 140's now, wanted something close to that and 15mm axle. Cheers anyway

Currently I have a 17" frame, way too small.

Considering a 21" as I've found a bargain, but apparently that's a little too big for a 6ft 2 chap like myself.

Thoughts?

If it's just slightly too big, surely I could move the seat forward a little tilt the bars back a little?

I'm not sure if it's due to riding trials etc but I like to run a frame that's a little smaller than recommended. My hardtail was an 18" and the Stumpy is 19". The latter is listed as a large which I was dubious about at first, but is actually not too bad at all. I'm somewhere between 6' and 6'1" depending on if I've hung by my feet that day, so you'd likely be ok on a 19/20 but I'd recommend hopping on something 21" down at Mud Dock/Evans to get a feel for it before diving in just to be safe. Inside leg measurement will play more of a part than just height, obviously :)

• Like 1

Good shout Luke, shame there's no Cube dealers locally as it would be ideal to sit on the actual bike I'm looking at.

Looking at selling my Cube Analog and getting a Cube LTD to replace it (Frame swap, not whole bike).

Shame the bargain is only available in 21 as I'm sure 19 would be a better fit.

Yeah even frame sizes vary. My 456C is 16" but has a hugely long TT so it fits fairly well with a load of seatpost sticking out, get on a mates 18" orange crush and it feels very short in the TT even though it should be bigger.

I reckon if you feel cramped on the smaller frame, give the large one a try. As you sais, if it feels to long in the TT you could run a shorter stem and sharpen up the handling a bit, move the seat forward on the rails and drop the post.

Been out for a lap of cannock chase this afternoon, god I'm unfit. Averaged 7.5mph over 12 miles and had to take regular stops after sections :(

Put the 50mm atomlab stem on and it's a bit easier to loft at an instant, didn't seem to negatively affect climbing though and the intense still climbs like a mountain goat :)

Tubeless with the wtb kom rims worked spot on, I've had a few slow leaks that haven't fully sealed but now I've actually ridden them I hope they'll finally seal. Ran 25psi and had no issues, the wider rims seem to have helped some with stability.

Just got to wait for the marzocchis to arrive :)

Edited by forteh
  • Like 2

So about a week ago, I decided to book a train to Fort William and ride back to Glasgow, following the West Highland way on my bike.

Arrived in Fort William at 10:30pm and set off soon after.

image_zpsivckjmdd.jpg

Started at the "end".

image_zpsmkkaoerf.jpg

Finished at the "start". Bike was riding horribly by the end. Chain had dried out and the chain ring was sucking up now and then, making it annoyingly difficult to put the pressure down up the steep bits in fear of it happening again.

Couldn't fault the brakes mind you. After 100miles of mud and grit they were well bedded in.

image_zpsaw3ivfkd.jpg

Took a few snaps along the way too. This one is from the top of the "devils staircase", the highest point of the WHW. Cant see much but my face shows how pooped I was after the long climb up.

image_zpsy1fnc4vx.jpg

The sun had just started to come up at the Green Welly Shop. It was 6am and no one was around, so I stole a cream cake from the roll and newspaper delivery! Sorry guys! I'm sure you'll make it back in your over inflated tourist prices anyway.

This small steaming pond is said to have William Wallaces sword in it...I call BS but FREEDOM anyway.

image_zpsbfx7syss.jpg

Top of loch Lomond.

image_zpsxliuneox.jpg

Along loch Lomond side is pretty much a pick your bike up and carry it type affair. Great trials location, not so good full suss trail bike route.

image_zps2xndq5dp.jpg

By this point I wasnt caring about keeping my feet dry. Walked out and plonked my bike on a rock for another picture.

image_zpsuhzax1yt.jpg

On my way up Conic hill with Loch Lomond islands in the back ground. Some Irish guy, with a big cheeser on his face shouted "f**kin eejit" at me. Made me laugh...

image_zpsnofuwd7r.jpg

Some big logs near the end..

image_zpsoigibp2s.jpg

• Like 4

So about a week ago, I decided to book a train to Fort William and ride back to Glasgow, following the West Highland way on my bike.

Arrived in Fort William at 10:30pm and set off soon after.

Fair play pal, looks like some epic schlep. I need to do the WHW, some of my colleagues were considering the double.

I bet the climbs were fun with that CCDB on! Also thick-thin would have saved you those drivetrain issues ;)

Edited by Matthew62

DII at work = can't see the photos here, but sounds like a pretty cool ride! I'm assuming there's some decent riding in/around the Glasgow area? Given that I'll almost certainly be based up there at some point it'd be a nice bonus but with the hills around I can't imagine there'd be a lack of stuff to ride!

Fair play pal, looks like some epic schlep. I need to do the WHW, some of my colleagues were considering the double.

I bet the climbs were fun with that CCDB on! Also thick-thin would have saved you those drivetrain issues ;)

The double, as in go up then back? Nice. I actually (with all time I had to think being on my own) thought about doing that. Well, what I actually thought was, I dont feel too bad, I could do that again tomorrow.

Yea, a lot of people talk about doing it. Less yak yak more pedal pedal.

DII at work = can't see the photos here, but sounds like a pretty cool ride! I'm assuming there's some decent riding in/around the Glasgow area? Given that I'll almost certainly be based up there at some point it'd be a nice bonus but with the hills around I can't imagine there'd be a lack of stuff to ride!

Aye theres a couple of wee bits to visit. The official places like Carron Valley and Cathkin Braes are the go to mini trail centres here.

• Like 1

Yea, a lot of people talk about doing it. Less yak yak more pedal pedal.

Saw all the photos on FB, seems like a great trip! Love how it just looks like you decided to take a train one evening and do it without any planning! haha

Edited by AndrewEH1

I just accidentally marzocchi 44 rc3 ti :)

Anyone want to buy some reba teams? Excellent condition, work perfectly just a touch too short for my frame. Got to figure out how to convert a 20mm bulb to a 15mm axle :D

Just seen this http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/making-15mm-axle-adaptors-for-a-hope-bulb-hub-with-pics

Saw all the photos on FB, seems like a great trip! Love how it just looks like you decided to take a train one evening and do it without any planning! haha

To be fair, there's not much planning required.

I knew the route, I packed for cold and warm weather, charged the batteries and off I popped.

Handy to know as a reference :)

I'm initially hoping to make a 15-20mm sleeve using the 20mm axle from my old z3 qr20s and combining that with the standard 20mm bulb end caps, it would however be lighter to use the hope endcaps and machine them down. If the sleeve is a no go I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the hope caps then persuade the works foreman that I know* how to use a lathe.

*it's been near 20 years since I used a lathe in anger, this saddens me :(

You forgot to pack any breakfast though!

Was that in reference to the cake? :giggle:

I had made up 4 big chicken, bacon, cheese and salad wraps to keep me going, ontop of some Go-gels (which I usually hate the thought of using but swallowed my pride) but ate three of them on the train on the way up. Doh!

I stopped at Rowardenan and had a big munch from one of the stands at the Sportive event. Best "festival food" ive ever had.

• Like 1