Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

Intense vpp is awesome :)

Quite critical on correct sag but once set it's great, doesn't work so nice with propedal so having an open shock is generally better unless you're standing up and stomping on the pedals constantly.

Don't be put off by reports of crap bearing life, the bearings last just fine as long as they have grease in them. Pop the shields off, pack with the thickest, stickiest waterproof grease you have and they should last a good while. The bottom ones in particular are susceptible to water ingress so just keep a check on lubrication levels.

I love my 5.5, I believe the tracer was the replacement for it :)

In other news.....

Got the 44 rc3 ti bombers fitted and they were sticky as hell on slow movements, if you compressed them slowly an inch they would only move in 1/2" jumps :(

Que me starting to panic that I've bought a lemon set and the bushings are shot (new lowers required at 200+ quid). Stripped the spring out of the left leg yesterday, the spring condom was in tatters and spread all over the inside of the leg, the little oil left was thick black sludge. Refilled that side but couldn't continue to strip the rest of the fork due to lack of tooling. Unfortunately didn't solve the sticky issue.

Phoned up windwave this afternoon and spoke to Shaun to enquire as to whether this behaviour is normal and to any other causes. He suggested that a full strip and rebuild would be first avenue of attack and may well solve the issue. Picked up some fresh fork oil and a can of brake cleaner from hellfrauds. Shaun is very kindly sending me some new shrink wrap so I can recover my spring again, foc - can't complain about the service from windwave at all!

Set about the forks after kids were all in bed and dinner eaten, half a can of cleaner later, lots of sludge and black oil in a tub and I now have buttery smooth forks :)

tl:dr intense tracers are good, the 80 quid marzocchi 44 rc3 ti forks I bought aren't lemons, just needed a very thorough clean and oil :D

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

Not that much of an issue really, will allow you to switch to tapered or even 1.5" in the future.

There is a nice feeling riding a frame that was hand made by a man in a small factory, doesn't affect the ride any but you get bragging rights that you have a boutique, hand made frame, not churned out of a factory in the far east.

Come to think about it, my intense was made in California, my standard was made in Iowa and my triton was made in a shed in Russia somewhere :)

The santa cruz chameleon lets the team down by being made in Taiwan :D

• Like 1

Speak to kyle livesey to see how he's getting on with his tracer, he's had it a while now I think :)

Buy it, if it snaps get it welded and heat treated again, that's what I'm planning on doing if my 5.5 fails!

Edited by forteh

Just google Intense bike problems or snapped intense will bring up pinkbike and singletrack forums about there issues, but a friend of mine had an M6 the downhill bike and that lasted less than 12 months. But its not like your buying brand new so if you get it at a good price go for it. though the Santa Cruz Bronson is the bling bike at the moment.

@ Ross - It does doesn't it :o
I think it's the gear cable* that is breaking up the outline of the shock and makes it look bent, I don't really care as it works just fine!
I guess it's a resonably vintage build now, frame is '08, hubs and brakes are '98, bars are 1" monkeylite dh. Square taper burns with hope ti bb.
The modern concessions are the reverb, wolftooth dropstop ring, wtb rims and I guess the forks (even though they are now 4 years old).

@Rainbow - not sure on the whippet, gonna be quicker now though with faster forks ;) Get your arse back to cannock at some point in the summer, go for a proper ride of the 12 mile loop :)

*zip tied to the front shock mount with full length outer, ignoring the factory cable guides because using them causes endless ghost shifting when the suspension moves :D

• Like 1

They might be a bit later than that thinking about it but it all blends into one when you get to my age ;)

I think in '98ish the hope c2 was the current model, the minis came after that so may be 15 years old now.

I distinctly remember buying the front bulb hub when I had my yellow chameleon, that was '98 because it was the summer of the last total solar eclipse. God I'm getting old :(

Just finished a lap of follow the dog, second ride this year and finished 5.6 miles in 35 minutes, not too shabby for an old fart :D

First ride in anger with the 44 rc3 ti forks and they're f**king incredible, every little bump and ripple feels glass smooth, bigger rocks/roots/braking bumps just disappear and the steering is so precise its unreal.

Despite all the plushness they don't climb like a dog and I just set my fastest ever time up cardiac hill ( 1/3rd mile 1in10 climb) at 2:39 :)

edit:

[smugmode]

what makes the 44s so much better is that I paid 80 quid for them! A set the same age just sold on eBay for 167 :o

Mine have the later (better) lowers and bushes that were replaced under warranty in 2012 :D

[\smugmode]

Edited by forteh
  • Like 2

Despite all the plushness they don't climb like a dog and I just set my fastest ever time up cardiac hill ( 1/3rd mile 1in10 climb) at 2:39 :)

Is that the straight fire track section? I've been around Cannock a few times now. Getting faster each time.