Such a hard choice (inspired arcade news and info)

nicolasp1405

erm...12 and 17...is there any sprung tensioner that has such a wide capacity without getting slack on the 12t?

just wondering,sometimes a second cog wouldnt be too bad...

i mean that´d be exactly the 2 cogs i´d go for,but a rear mech isnt going on my rig,no way.

Edited by FamilyBiker

To be fair, the hanger on an Inspired is for a tensioner, not a rear mech, I can't recommend a mech on a trials bike.

The Trialtech tensioners are perfect.

How come my 09 fourplay had mech cable guides on then? And yeah, the trialtech tensioner are boss

1 tooth is 6.something mm?

1/2" chains tend to change the chainstay length by 1/2" (point something too) per tooth most likely ;)

edit:seeing yo0u edited the tensioner idea into the post i meant to reply to its pretty pointless now,touché.

Edited by FamilyBiker

How come my 09 fourplay had mech cable guides on then? And yeah, the trialtech tensioner are boss

Probably just in case then, it WAS the first one!

But I don't think anyone actually put a shifter, cables and a mech on it, back ends are so short these days a shifting mech is bound to cause foot clearance issues too.

I only know difference between 18-14 and 22-16. With 18-14 chainstay is 8mm longer(can't find that picture with chainstay lengths and gear ratios). That's pretty big difference and feels from the first seconds of riding.

By the way hangers are not so bad. I remembered how many crashes I have on my Element, few of them directly on tensioner (trialtech like) and only one huge crush on speed was lethal for my hanger.

Maybe I'm a little bit obsessed with reliability of my bike. Probably I must just ride and don't think about it.

If you've already got vertical dropouts and a tensioner, adding 1 more sprocket's not really gonna spoil the look of the bike. I filmed one line last year where I had to go 3 teeth down because I needed so much speed, there was no other option, it's just handy to have for the sake of carrying around the weight of a small sprocket, instead of going home and saying "I couldn't do it, gear's too easy"

It's personal preference too, not everyone likes 22-15, I've always had easy gears and probably always will.

I wasn't saying everyone has to run 22:15, just giving a context for what I was talking about. I used to run 22:16 and that was pretty much fine for getting around on too, but wasn't as good for fakie stuff because of how light it was. Your "one line last year" thing is kind of what I meant too, but if it works for you it works for you (Y) I was just always keen to avoid having to run any form of proper tensioner if I could (such as filing dropouts, using spoke tensioners instead) because I always found my drivetrain felt way better without one on there.

how cool is this stupid vertical dropouts and tensioners blahlalah universal bike (universal with that geo? are you kidding?)?

Who said about how 'cool' vertical dropouts were/are? Similarly, who said they're a 'universal' bike? From searching through the thread, the only one who's ever said that is you. They're definitely versatile but I think that's about as far as anyone else has gone with that. And no, not "kidding" with that either. Like I said on here before, I've had days before where we've ridden natural, street, BMXy sort of street and jumps/pump tracks in one day and I haven't owned a bike before that worked as well across the board as any of the 24s I've owned (from my Urban through to my Arcade now). If you take a 'proper' trials bike away from trialsy stuff they become pretty unwieldy/unpleasant, and similarly if you take a DJ bike away from jumps they feel pretty sluggish. 24s are just a pretty good middleground.

22:15 isn't that bad either for static stuff. It was a bit different at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly. When you've got guys like Ben running 22:14 and Rob running 22:12, I'd say 22:15 wasn't that extreme, especially as it's only 1 tooth different from the 'normal' trials gear ratio people run.

erm...12 and 17...is there any sprung tensioner that has such a wide capacity without getting slack on the 12t?

We built up a bike for someone who wanted to have a 12t and a 16t sprocket. The Sport tensioner managed it surprisingly well, and I think it could probably have stretched to working with a 17t too.

Probably just in case then, it WAS the first one!

But I don't think anyone actually put a shifter, cables and a mech on it, back ends are so short these days a shifting mech is bound to cause foot clearance issues too.

Again, we had quite a few people who wanted a general bike for a bit of trialsy stuff but also commuting who wanted gears (as well as a QR seat clamp with a mile long Gusset pivotal post). Definitely not the norm, but people do do it.

I wasn't saying everyone has to run 22:15, just giving a context for what I was talking about. I used to run 22:16 and that was pretty much fine for getting around on too, but wasn't as good for fakie stuff because of how light it was. Your "one line last year" thing is kind of what I meant too, but if it works for you it works for you (Y) I was just always keen to avoid having to run any form of proper tensioner if I could (such as filing dropouts, using spoke tensioners instead) because I always found my drivetrain felt way better without one on there.

It works for me most of the time, but I'm single speed now and sometimes I do wish I had a harder gear. I think I just chose vertical because I'm still undecided on gear ratios and wanted the geo constant.

The light gear is definitely crap for fakie stuff though. I'll go horizontal next time, it's definitely better looking, and now that chainstays and ratios are pretty established for 24" street it's less of a guessing game.

Edited by LEON

Is there actually something wrong with you?

I'm fine. I hate them and they are not so bad. Yes. I hate them for chance of ruin your ride and need to keep 2-3 hangers in store and they are not so bad because they breaks not every single day(lol but possibility is there). Afterall I love Omen and Arcade tensioning systems and single speed transmission. Even more I love the most awesome tensioner on the planet - the spoke tensioner. But unfortunately I can't use it on my frames with my gear ratios.

Edited by TriаlsRider

They are stiffer than most mtb/trials cranks. I recently swapped to dmr cult cranks from raceface mtb ones and they so much stiffer. Carl says the same about his bmx cranks compared to his old echo ones. They are also strong and they look nice.

The production bikes use a euro/mtb bb with external bearings, this is so bigger bearings can be used, which will stronger. The protos used spanish or mid bb, which i would have preferred.