Such a hard choice (inspired arcade news and info)

nicolasp1405

What made Inspired go for 90mm stems on the spec'd bikes if all the testers are running 70's?

Sean doesn't run a 70mm stem as far as I know. Think he's always been pretty keen on running either the Hope 90 x 10 or the TT 90mm stems.

Especially with quite a long reach already?

Mainly to give it a similar bar height to what Sean, Ali and I have. With the spacers they spec on complete bikes, a 70mm x 35° stem would make your bars approx. 11mm lower which wouldn't really be that great. With the 90mm stem on there, bar height is almost exactly the same but it only adds a relatively small amount to the reach (compared to my 70x25 stem with a load of stackers).

Basically, the 90mm stem affects the reach of the bike less than a 70mm stem would drop the height of the bars, so it's sort of the lesser of two evils.

Something else to consider in terms of reach is that thanks to the shape of the Arcade risers, you can run them tilted further back than the usual TT High Rise or Inspired Risers people tend to run. It wouldn't drop bar height in comparison to them either thanks to the extra rise they have where you're holding onto them (as I think I mentioned in this thread before, total rise I seem to remember they're a touch higher than TT High Rise bars, but the actual grip area is quite a lot higher).

I find it interesting though how on here people are talking about how it has a 'long reach' (which relatively speaking I guess it does), yet I saw someone from TF saying about how an Arcade would give someone a bad back if they rode it because it's 'so short'.

• Like 1

You have to do more than just 'move in' with Danny to get hold of them...

But nah, no real word yet. There's seemingly a lot of demand for them online, but whether Conti take the plunge and make them commercially available remains to be seen.

:blink:

was i meant with that?

heat treatment is done to make a light-built frame free from welding tensions to assure the same durability as a thicker walled frame.("normal"frames dont necessary need it due to the wall thickness,which gives a known fatigue life)

thats for hardening/tempering,which is the common process

add up the components weight to 12kg,2.3-2.4kg left for the frame(give or take)

in that weight range it doesnt have to be heat treated

edit:okay if the forks wieght around 1.5kg it could be,but i dont think so

Edited by FamilyBiker

add up the components weight to 12kg,2.3-2.4kg left for the frame(give or take)

Hmm.. Considering a lot of the parts on the bike aren't on the market, how do you know the individual weights for them to be able to work this out? I like the number of posts you pluck figures out of the air just to make a point about something.

I find it interesting though how on here people are talking about how it has a 'long reach' (which relatively speaking I guess it does), yet I saw someone from TF saying about how an Arcade would give someone a bad back if they rode it because it's 'so short'.

I said this to brad Johnson on Facebook, as he's been complaining about his knees hurting form riding a 'pure trials' rig. It was purely a wind up, is this what you've heard mark?

Hmm.. Considering a lot of the parts on the bike aren't on the market, how do you know the individual weights for them to be able to work this out? I like the number of posts you pluck figures out of the air just to make a point about something.

i may be wrong,but we wont find out until dave from inspired makes a statement regarding that.i´m just making a statement based on experiences i made,certain bikes in certain genres have overall weights pointing at wether the frames are treated or not.you will not find a dh bike with roadbike-like rims in terms of weight,and dh frames have a purpose-serving weight range which is differing just a few 100g,if.

as i said,i may be wrong,we´ll see.

i had one or the other of my "figures" turning out as the truth later,cant help myself trying it over and over again hahaha

Just spent the last half hour reading through this thread, kept me entertained to say the least! I stopped using the forum because of such heated debates but came back about a year or so later to see nothing has changed.

Anyway, loving the looks of the Arcade im now tempted to go back to 24, but im just not riding often enough now to justify any new bike. Still, im interested in some if the new Inspired parts which could make welcome appearances on my Hex. Are the Arcade 'bars definitely on their way too?

Also quite curious to know which grade of steel the Arcade actually is.

Just to get into the mix a bit because I'm in the mood for once.

I've ridden many aluminium frames in my lifetime and I've ridden various steel frames. Most recently I've either repeatedly tried or been in possession of the new steel Inspired offerings but I have also had a JAF and Marino frame. The Inspired offers a sensation and responsiveness that, for myself, clearly goes beyond those other steel frames and totally goes beyond aluminium. I now have no interest in returning to an alu frame for my style of riding. The dampening makes me feel smoother and that is very rewarding; the responsiveness makes the bike feel more controllable. I can best describe the responsiveness in terms of a more consistent kind of and therefore more predicatable flex. It has a smoother kick when you put force through it. It reminds me of the T45 steel I had on my Curtis all those years ago which, I might add, is about £600-700 for just the frame. Aluminium feels laggy and dead in comparison. However, it's possible that this doesn't matter to you. If you're not about aspiring to a certain sensation or control but more about just getting a line down, which is fair enough, then perhaps this isn't for you. Then perhaps it's worth saving a bit of money and going for a cheap alu frame. Understand the Inspired steel frame for what it is and there shouldn't be a problem about the cost. It offers you high material and build quality, supported by proper R+D that results in better sensation, control and new geo that helps channel your riding in a certain way. If that certain way doesn't appeal there's nothing to argue about. It's just not for you but for somebody else.

Personally, those things matter to me and I'd rather pay the extra money and get the extra enjoyment.

I haven't read this entire thread but has anyone pointed out that even if this frame fails outside of the warranty period because it's steel you can just get it rewelded? Surely the cost should be understood in light of that fact? If the frame lasts you a couple of years with rewelds that's pretty awesome? Furthermore, the build quality, R+D, etc. suggests something about the durability anyway. There's no point just indicating the cheapness of another frame without appreciating its durability. If it requires buying several cheap frames to last the same period of time as an expensive one surely this is meaningful to understanding the cost and making your purchasing decision? It could actually be more expensive. Some people seem to be overly simplifying the dimensions of sensible frame choice.

I'm not blindly supporting Inspired here. My riding matters to me most and if I really didn't love the Inspired stuff I wouldn't run it. Some Inspired stuff I don't run because it's not suitable for me personally. If I didn't feel this way I would simply stay quiet on the matter.

Edited by Ben Rowlands
  • Like 1

quick note on that, halfords do a 1 year warranty on alu frames and 15 years on the steel ones! if apollo have that kind of confidence, i imagine inspired have nothing to worry about haha

I haven't read this entire thread but has anyone pointed out that even if this frame fails outside of the warranty period because it's steel you can just get it rewelded? Surely the cost should be understood in light of that fact? If the frame lasts you a couple of years with rewelds that's pretty awesome? Furthermore, the build quality, R+D, etc. suggests something about the durability anyway. There's no point just indicating the cheapness of another frame without appreciating its durability. If it requires buying several cheap frames to last the same period of time as an expensive one surely this is meaningful to understanding the cost and making your purchasing decision? It could actually be more expensive. Some people seem to be overly simplifying the dimensions of sensible frame choice.

• Like 2