Such a hard choice (inspired arcade news and info)

nicolasp1405

Euan surprisingly let me have a go on his new arcade tonight.

I was completely surprised at how it rode, really easy on the back wheel, proper over the front though, did some front wheel hops and it was a very odd experience. even he said he went over the bars trying his first nose manual on it.

Once you get used to the head angle it's all good from there on out ;)

EDIT: From photos on FB it seems Euan runs his bars tilted a bit further forward so that might explain some of the over-the-front-ness too, maybe. In comparison:

1465973_187766501416021_421326668_o.jpg

...and my bike from around 6 months ago. Ali runs his at virtually the same angle as mine too.

536034.jpg

if the arcade had a block stem and some 7" cruiser bars on some couldnt tell the difference to a 24"bmx.

WTP_Avenue.jpg

(600,.€)

but for the style of riding its made for thats a good thing,i like it.

to be honest i posted this because i HATE it when people ask me if my bike´s a bmx. ;)

Edited by FamilyBiker

no,i just mentioned this in the context of the previous discussion,not to put salt in the wounds ;)

i really think its not far from being a bmx bike.

i mean,the headangle is around the same,cs are like 12mm longer,but with a 90x25 stem(edit:more likely a 120x35 or similar looking at the tt length), highrisers and brake mounts for real brakes the wtp would be a nice street trials bike(transmission and stuff would be up for changing though)

but what i really wanted to point out was that street trials bikes more and more turn into bmx´s nowadays imo

Edited by FamilyBiker

I think it's more that the geo that makes a bmx good also makes a trialsy bike good (short chainstays, steep head angle, bb rise) the "only" difference is that streety bikes tend to be shorter wheelbased than more compy bikes (and it has a seat)

why do they have seats? I mean you do not really sit on them as well, and they are "heavy" components.

I do hang nothings on my my 24 and I doubt I would try them without a cushioned saddle for the sake of my unborn children. I also like sitting on my saddle inbetween riding. And, yeah, to the more superficial side of myself I like the look. It's good to save weight where possible but it always has to be weighed up (jokes) against other factors.

I've never really understood this whole thing about seats. When I do ride, sporadically, I definitely don't spend the entire time from leaving my house to returning to my house stood up. It's nice to have a seat to, y'know, sit on and chat to mates and watch others riding. That way, you're still on your bike if you spot something you want to do...

• Like 1

Using some quick release seat clamp (and a bit longer seat post) plus 2 sprockets on rear hub(17+12 for example) will turn your bike in some really nice and comfy thing that allows you to ride pretty long distances far easier. Plus you can set higher gearing (22-12 for example) when you need some speed to do bmxy/streety stuff.

Using 2 sprockets on rear hub(17+12 for example) will turn your bike in some really nice and comfy thing that allows you to ride pretty long distances far easier.

I was thinking of doing that on my bike but I run a rear maggie so I'd have to let down my tyre each time I want to swap sprockets, then reinflate it which is more hassle than just having a low ratio.

I've never really understood that whole two gears thing. I've ridden my Arcade long distances and it's genuinely not too bad. It's not like you're on a 'proper' trials bike where any speed you get gets absorbed instantly by rolling resistance or anything like that. With 22:15 you can still get up a reasonably amount of speed and cruise around. Having to f**k around having another sprocket on there and then changing the chain over, re-tensioning the chain (since swapping from my Fourplay with a double wheel tensioner to horizontal dropouts, I don't ever want to go back), etc. - it's just extra inconvenience, weight and makes a bike look shit for nominal benefit. How often do you ever look at a line and think "I can't get enough speed for that?" I think I've only ever witnessed it once, and that was when Ali wanted use a brick kicker to basically gap over what would have been most of Salford Quays.

Part of the thing I love about my bike at the moment is how simple it is. It looks nice, rides even better, works well functionally, there's very little to go wrong, there's virtually nothing I need to maintain - you'd lose so much of that by having gears on there.

If you've already got vertical dropouts and a tensioner, adding 1 more sprocket's not really gonna spoil the look of the bike. I filmed one line last year where I had to go 3 teeth down because I needed so much speed, there was no other option, it's just handy to have for the sake of carrying around the weight of a small sprocket, instead of going home and saying "I couldn't do it, gear's too easy"

It's personal preference too, not everyone likes 22-15, I've always had easy gears and probably always will.

• Like 1

I've just mentioned the ways to ride comfy in a long distances. With rear mech it's no problem and takes few seconds to switch a sprocket. But I understand your point and I also like simple bikes, because simple means reliable. And that's why I loved OMEN frame so much - because of it's genius tensioning system(I know idea is not new). You can crush concrete with your bike and nothing on your bike will break(concrete will, lol).

But why the f**k not so long ago some people on here others was debating about blahlahlah how cool is this stupid vertical dropouts and tensioners blahlalah universal bike (universal with that geo? are you kidding?)? I think this is a mistake of Inspired - to produce bikes with hangers and tensioners because almost 99% of riders have only ONE rear sprocket. I love my fourplay and enjoy the geo pretty much, but I hate so much this freaking hanger and tensioner(rear mech) - that is the only one reason for me not to be absolutely happy about my bike.

And yeah, 22:15 is already pretty high and comfy for long distances + street-trials geo helps alot. But also it's pretty high for static moves.

Well, anyway I have no choice now and don't want to buy another frame. So I'll try to ride with rear mech and hanger, but got pretty bad feeling about this(I like to do some risky stuff and often fall).

Edited by TriаlsRider