Koxx enter liquidation

Mark W

Your forks snap, your cranks snap, your freewheels are made from cheese and your frames are a horrific geometry.

Good luck signing a world class rider like Gilles / Vincent.

Although i'm pretty sure this is a Troll!

iv run nowt but deng parts for years and iv had no probs? damons GU rode beut any why do u think its a troll?

I think I made a think about this a long time ago, about 2 years ago. I got a lot of hate for it.

as if we were bmxers?

whats wrong with a company being versatile in product range?

with involvement in comps even more people would get to know the brand,should be a good thing.

in south america you see a marino in nearly every comp(okay,and street jam :)),and he´s mostly building polo-,bmx- and street frames.

just banging out ideas here ;)

Being as Trialtech and Inspired are both owned by Mr Cleaver, I'd imagine that he'd probably use the more 'trialsy' of his brands to make a trialsy frame.

I forgot about that, yeah fair point. An "inspired" tgs/comp frame would just be weird, but a trialtech wouldn't.

Your forks snap, your cranks snap, your freewheels are made from cheese and your frames are a horrific geometry.

Good luck signing a world class rider like Gilles / Vincent.

Although i'm pretty sure this is a Troll!

Andrei's been sponsored by Echo/GU for a while now and seems to get on pretty well with it.

maybe its about time for customers to jump off the discounter train and buy stuff from people like hope,heatsink,marino and so on again,getting "real" products instead of mass produced ones.(edit:okay,hope do kinda mass prod.but its all done by them)

Putting Marino in the same sentence as Hope kind of points out the differences between a big company and a small company though. Hope do shitloads of R&D on their products and consequently carved out a position for themselves in the MTB world as a super high quality company, and then kept coming up with new ways of progressing and improving their parts year after year. You don't get to that level without investment in R&D and extensive testing, and you don't get that if you're just ordering custom, one-off stuff all the time. Similarly, bigger companies have more money to then invest back into their chosen sport, which means that aside from benefiting participants through providing better products, they also benefit them by growing the overall scene as a whole.

Similarly, I don't get the fixation on where parts are produced. China/Taiwan have some of the best manufacturing facilities in the world, so why not use them? Some of the shit parts companies sell aren't shit because they're made in China/Taiwan. If you had the design for a part, whether it was made in the highest spec factory in Taiwan or by your beloved Marino, if the design is poor then it's going to be poor regardless. Equally, there are plenty of factories out there so if a company isn't happy with what their chosen factory produces, they can search for other ones. If a company doesn't bother designing stuff well and isn't bothered about the parts coming out of the factory it'll inevitably be shit, but that's essentially the same thing no matter how big/small the company are. Theoretically a smaller company can keep a tighter rein on things, but that isn't a guaranteed thing as it again comes down to how much care they take over their products.

whats wrong with a company being versatile in product range?

with involvement in comps even more people would get to know the brand,should be a good thing.

If you have a company who are specifically known for doing a certain thing it can be detrimental to then dilute that by trying to appeal to a totally different market. Brand identity and people's perceptions of a brand play a huge part in what they're likely to buy, so totally changing the type of product you make can jeopardise that.

Equally, history teaches us that even when there are much better options out there, comp riders only ever buy the stuff that Gilles runs anyway :P

haha fair enough ;)

i agree with the,say "image" part of your post,thinking it over it seems like most companies are dedicated to just one big thing.

for the other part i have to say that its sad that craftmanship isnt affordable for the mass anymore,hence the taiwanese production.

there was a time every fichtel&sachs 3-gear hub was made by hand and maybe hydraulic tools to stamp hubshells etc,and nearly every single hub i´ve seen from the 50-70s is still rideable,and if not,repairable.

todays sram(they bought f&s) i-motion3 hubs have a fraction of the lifespan while costing not much less for the customer than in the say 70s(inflation bla bla,i know),compared to the income that days and today.and the whole gearing unit is to be replaced if something doesnt work,because our labour for repairing the hub is more expensive than that whole thing...

maybe i am a bit too oldskool oriented,i just wanted to point out the thoughts that build the background of my posts.

and for the "beloved marino" snappish part, he´s just doing what everyone did decades ago,building stuff that lasts instead of mass products,thats the honest reason why i support his work

on topic(mostly):i´d like to know if theres a chance to get koxx´ brake pad compounds receipt,now theyre finished ;)

Edited by FamilyBiker

You've missed my point though - it comes down to what you choose to use. On my 24, I ran a mass-produced Atomz hub but I killed the hub bearings pretty quickly on it. I switched to a mass-produced Hope Pro 2 Trials hub and over the past few years the only thing I've had to do is change an end cap. If I damaged a part inside it I could just buy a replacement part and keep on riding it. I know people who used to damage/break a lot of the mass-produced 24" rims on the market, but they switched to mass-produced Spank rims and have no issues. There are similar parallels in the comp/TGS worlds too.

It does kind of seem strange though you were saying that that new SRAM hub was 'not much cheaper' then essentially discarded all the reasons that would significantly affect it's price, then say that the reason people don't get them repaired is because shops charge high labour prices? Wouldn't that same labour cost also be a problem for the older hub if someone brought it in for you to fix? Either way - the same point stands: if the new hub doesn't last long, buy something better...

Try-All bought the material from Thierry Klinkenberg (I think that's how it's spelt anyway), so them being in/out of business doesn't change anything in that sense.

you´ll happily invest 40€ in repairing a hub that will last years after that without the need to be repaired again,like with a hope nowadays.

but its kind of weird to explain to the customer that repairing his hub,if it was an old one,would be more expensive in labour than just banging in a whole new gearing unit,which is literally the whole hub without a shell,if it was a new one.but having problems again in a foreseeable time again,due to the quality

hope it makes sense this way

Edited by FamilyBiker

There is a similar post about Koxx on the french forum and it is from a brand new member who created an account only to say this:

Hello,

Maybe Koxx wasn't appreciated by everyone, but it was still one of the pioneers of bike trials and it contributed to the fact that most people here can enjoy this beautiful sport.
As an employee in Koxx and now dismissed , I would like to give you the "real" reason to this liquidation but unfortunately I can't otherwise I would endure legal prosecution.
Of course the crisis has been there, add to that the countless copies of all kinds creating a parallel market, but the company could have survived if selfishness, greed for money and the handling was a concept the humans didn't know .
" Captain, we do not abandon our ship, its crew and passengers and stealing it in the process ... "

All that to say that you had to be careful not to be fooled , so demand transparency. Ships sink , others will surely emerge with even hypothetically captains in command ..... Be careful with this sport which needs to keep a certain ethic .

Good day.

i am a twat that quotes people that didnt do anything to me personally and insulting them without reason(well,theres one but thats my own psycholigical problem)

fixed

wasnt it clear that the sentence you quoted was a joke?

Edited by FamilyBiker