Bugatti Veyron

Davetrials

I'd rather have an Ariel Atomz personally, To me the Bugatti just seems kind of pointless. It is without a doubt an incredible engineering feat and a gourgeous looking car but also seems a bit of a waste. Surely with that much engineering and development they could have made it into a decent all round supercar as opposed to a pretty much unguided rocket ship.

Letting Clarkson drive it from Italy to London in a 'race' on open roads is more risky than letting someone drive it around an empty track...

As people within my household have said, he was hardly racing, seeing as he had a camera crew in another car on the journey with him, he was never actually 'racing' mearly driving the route in a normal test drive manner (just a long drive). He never actually took it to the max speed when he put that spoiler up etc. as there wouldn't have been enough road to do so without cars in the way.

etc.etc.

I like it, its a pretty pointless excercise making a car like that, but fair play to em, if they have the time and money to waste.

To be honest, either they wern't allowed to take it round the track because of risk of damage, or they took it round the track and it wasn't as fast round the corners and it didn't beat the zonda, in which case buggati wouldn't have wanted it to be shown, as it's bad publicity.

I'd expect in order for top gear to get their hands on that car, there would have been a lot of politics involved in what impression was given of the car.

The gearbox was made by a company about 10 minutes away from me in leamington called Ricardo aswell!

Great car, a shame more like this aren't made, but they wouldn't be what they are if more were!

All I can say is I'd take the Marcos over the Bugatti. If I wanted a VW, I'd buy a Lambo. Simple as. No-one needs 1000bhp, no-one needs 4 turbos, or two engines. I love the fact that someone was prepared to loose £4m, just to make a car, that's what I call ace. Considering the ex-head-honcho of VW drove a 1-litre-motorbike-like-BMW-bubblecar which runs a 1 litre.

IPB Image

All this arguing is stupid. Yes its not practical, yes you're never going to get the best out of it. Yes its probably a huuuuuuuge waste of money, but if you've got £600,000 burning a hole in ur pocket then hey!

If anyone saw the Top Gear Ep where they took Clarkson's Ford GT, a Ferrari F430 and a Pagani Zonda to Paris, u might understand it better. The whole point is its a supercar!!!!

Its not designed for "everyday" use.

As far as I am aware, due to everything being hand-made they're only making 20 of them. This was from report a month or so ago, so may have changed now....

Gorgeous car though, havent seen the top gear ep yet but have seen a clip of it driving and launching on a track...F%*KING HELL ITS FAST!!!!

If anybody ever sees one driving on the road in this country...I'll give u a bloody medal! Half will go to the middle east, a few to america and a few to mainland europe (monaco, italy etc)

Doubt we'll ever see much of one :(

Cant wait 2 see top gear now!!!

M@

All this arguing is stupid. Yes its not practical, yes you're never going to get the best out of it. Yes its probably a huuuuuuuge waste of money, but if you've got £600,000 burning a hole in ur pocket then hey!

If anyone saw the Top Gear Ep where they took Clarkson's Ford GT, a Ferrari F430 and a Pagani Zonda to Paris, u might understand it better. The whole point is its a supercar!!!!

Its not designed for "everyday" use.

As far as I am aware, due to everything being hand-made they're only making 20 of them. This was from report a month or so ago, so may have changed now....

Gorgeous car though, havent seen the top gear ep yet but have seen a clip of it driving and launching on a track...F%*KING HELL ITS FAST!!!!

If anybody ever sees one driving on the road in this country...I'll give u a bloody medal! Half will go to the middle east, a few to america and a few to mainland europe (monaco, italy etc)

Doubt we'll ever see much of one :(

Cant wait 2 see top gear now!!!

M@

We're not arguing its a waste ofmoney cause its a supercar, we're arguing its a waste of a car cause its designed purely to go in a straight line fast. For me the only supercar worth having is the Murchilago

Nope sorry, they do it in 4.5 seconds. Even the hyabusa engine only does it in about 3.4.

sorry freddy, but thers a Zcars R1 mini thats done it in a recorded 2.9seconds dead..... on a proving ground, with proper timing gear, its official, its in one of the ultimate mini DVD's

the veyron is a nice concept....

but by christ.... did u guys not notice how insanely horny that marcos was????

sorry freddy, but thers a Zcars R1 mini thats done it in a recorded 2.9seconds dead..... on a proving ground, with proper timing gear, its official, its in one of the ultimate mini DVD's

the veyron is a nice concept....

but by christ.... did u guys not notice how insanely horny that marcos was????

Small block V8 Power makes me horny :lol:

Mmmmm low rev torque.

The Veyron is something VW did to prove they could, developments they made during design and production of this car will be filtered down to all their other cars. Safety/Materials/Techniques for making parts everything that they did to make this car has helped in someway the development of future projects.

Dan

Couldn't give a shit why they made it, just thank f**k they did. How f**king sexual is the car. The noise, the presence, just a shame about that f**king bollocks spoiler.

If i had 600 grand, that would be my first buy. Supercars are exactly that, stupid ideas just for the sheer hell and fun of it.

1001bhp, 987bhp, couldn't care, 252mph, 0-60 in under 3 seconds, i would never need anything else in my life, except maybe life insurance.

I'm actually talking bollocks that doesn't make much sense, but thats sort of the point, i'm like when Clarkson was talking about the car, talking too fast for the sentance or words to make sense, jumping around like a school boy at christmas.

Lovely.

Perry McCarthy is definate for black stig he talks about his time as 'the stig' on his website.

Ben Collins as the white stig is not for definate but he has appeared in several other episodes such as driving the little aygos playing football and the mitsubishi rally car episode and is rumored to be him.

Oh and has anyone noticed the jumbo in the background in the new episodes? Apparently thats a scrap plane (it landed there but couldnt take off on such a short runway) thats gonna be used for film sets etc and has no engines anymore.

[attachmentid=2444]

just a shame about that f**king bollocks spoiler.

If you're implying the spoiler is pointless (think: boy racer cars, etc.), then you'd be wrong.

When they were building the car, the head of VW said "Right, I want it to have 1000bhp and do 400kph. They got the 1000bhp bit, and then they eventually sorted the gearbox and so on. So then they went to speed test it. They got it up to over 300kph (think it was 380kph). However, they couldn't get it to go faster. VW had already started fabricating the major body panels, so they couldn't drastically re-shape the car body. Equally, to get a 1kph increase, they'd have to have 8bhp more, so to get 20kph more it'd have to be 1160bhp, which was really pushing it. They decided to try and reduce drag. First of all, they decided to try and do it with really dinky, tiny wing mirrors. When they did that, the car nearly took off. That's the sort of aerodynamic issue we're talking about. The spoiler isn't pointless ;)

Anyway, to quote Clarkson, "it corners like a Lotus Elise". Bearing in mind Lotus are called in to tune suspension of a lot of car manufacturers, doesn't that suggest it's good in the corners too, so it's not "just built to drive in a straight line"?

Either way, amazing car.

Can't believe the control stalks are £4,000 each (or whatever £_,000 they were...).

Nuts.

Pointless? f**k no, wouldn't buy a car of that size without one.

However, that doesn't mean they can make the most f'ugly spoiler ever to land on a car. Given, halfords mechano spoiler's aren't fantastic, but f**k about, they could of been more inventive.

:(

It also seams rather pointless that you have to stop and turn a key to put the thing down

If you happened to knock it whilst driving and suddenly lost all downforce on a twisty bit of road, it would be a bit gay :P

I think it's mostly that it's like a gadgety thing, so they tried to make it cool as f**k by doing something a bit 'different'...

I bet the Arab guy who's buying one to rag around in will probably have the spoiler, the spoiler hydraulics, the spoiler hydraulics radiator, and that part of the console removed to save weight 'cos he wouldn't use it anyway.

Would get to 253mph too :P

What I thought was pretty sexual for such a hypercar was the fact that Jeremy could drive it straight off of the Eurostar without having to slow down for any mega low bits of bodywork, showing that VW have managed to make an amazingly quick car actually usable as well.

Theres some pretty good wallpaper sized pics of the Bugatti on www.seriouswheels.com too.

Did anyone else cringe when Jeremy dripped petrol around the filler cap TWICE!?!?!?!?

As people within my household have said, he was hardly racing, seeing as he had a camera crew in another car on the journey with him, he was never actually 'racing' mearly driving the route in a normal test drive manner (just a long drive). He never actually took it to the max speed when he put that spoiler up etc. as there wouldn't have been enough road to do so without cars in the way.

This from an article in the Times:

On a recent drive across Europe I desperately wanted to reach the top speed but I ran out of road when the needle hit 240mph

Link Here :)