The Car Thread

MadManMike

Haha loving the umbrella. You could possibly get away with very finely sanding the area and then laquering again but it's likely you'll be able to see where you flatted through after so I advise painting and laquering the panel again to get a decent job.

Yeah, that's what will have to be done unfortunately. Used some wet and dry on it today and got through to the primer.

Out of curiosity what did they quote you and for what work?

They wanted £2.5K to prep and paint the car Ford Frozen White and i guess clear-coat it or something, removing the windows, boot, doors and bonnet, with me stripping the rest. I picked my jaw up and said i'd call him back, something tells me that's a liiiiiiiittle pricey?

Was also looking at the best part of a grand to do all the bodywork which incorporates cutting out all the rear arches and tubbing it out to take big f**k-off rimzz, doing all the fibreglass work and filler to fit the rear arches and as far as i can gather the fronts i have are just bolt-on jobs. That's something i'm a little more ok with though; despite it still being pretty expensive i can guarantee he'll do a very good job of it and it's not something i want to go f**king about with.

Still got another guy to phone tomorrow, it just seems to be 100% retro ford wanker tax which isn't something i'm keen on - that money needs to go elsewhere, i'm on a pretty tight budget! If it's something you could hook a brother up with, I can get the car up there no problem and give you maaaaaajor props on pistonheads and all the rest of it.

The "original" was sprayed by my uncle in a lock-up and the paint on that was perfect. I've sprayed a few things at dad's old place with 2pk and stuff, and i really ams truggling to get my head around where that figure came from, and more importantly who actually pays that kind of price. He seems very good, but not £3500-all-in good. I could buy another f**king car for that.

Edited by Skoze

That's a lot of money. I've been looking at a car, but it's in Essex White and I was wondering about the cost of respraying. I think it's gonna be prohibitive, for me at least. Mind you, if you were spending that sort of money you could go for something original / interesting, not just a stock colour.

I think there's also some sort of implications with needing to change the V5 and it therefore affects the insurance? Whereas wrapping is apparently fine as it's not considered permanent. Have you considered a wrap?

Not yet no, but that is a very, very good shout. It's gonna be partially going over fibreglass which as i understand it can have certain "issues" such as paint crazing if you do it wrong, or the panels themselves distorting a little after fitment, but i guess that a wrap could eliminate that problem. I guess the only problem would be that you can't get it in anything remotely shiny though? Unless that's possible now, i've only ever seen it done with matte/ satin colours...

Will look into the DVLA/ insurance issues though, not something i've really considered before - surely it just changes on the logbook? Same car at the end of the day, just a different colour completely. I know that signwriting and race graphics can cause problems though.

I'm just absolutely baffled by that quote, i really can't comprehend what that's based on.

If you look on the logbook you will find a section you send off to register changes to the vehicle.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/how-to-tell-dvla

When I used to work at HPI I frequently spoke to people about recorded colour changes, often it was just people being fussy about the colour their vehicle was registered as. For example, when dealers register new vehicles they would put 'Grey' but then at some point someone would complain that it is actually 'Silver' and by updating DVLA it causes a colour change to be recorded on their system :P

249113_518291728228312_77866054_n.jpg

Matt dude! Thats 3m gloss black wrap on my civic. Check the reflection! Guy did a shit hot job too, quoted full car for £1200 inc. materials!

Gloss white on a mates civic too, mid wrap. Still pretty glossy!

395573_520476948009790_1987293226_n.jpg

They wanted £2.5K to prep and paint the car Ford Frozen White and i guess clear-coat it or something, removing the windows, boot, doors and bonnet, with me stripping the rest. I picked my jaw up and said i'd call him back, something tells me that's a liiiiiiiittle pricey?

Was also looking at the best part of a grand to do all the bodywork which incorporates cutting out all the rear arches and tubbing it out to take big f**k-off rimzz, doing all the fibreglass work and filler to fit the rear arches and as far as i can gather the fronts i have are just bolt-on jobs. That's something i'm a little more ok with though; despite it still being pretty expensive i can guarantee he'll do a very good job of it and it's not something i want to go f**king about with.

Still got another guy to phone tomorrow, it just seems to be 100% retro ford wanker tax which isn't something i'm keen on - that money needs to go elsewhere, i'm on a pretty tight budget! If it's something you could hook a brother up with, I can get the car up there no problem and give you maaaaaajor props on pistonheads and all the rest of it.

The "original" was sprayed by my uncle in a lock-up and the paint on that was perfect. I've sprayed a few things at dad's old place with 2pk and stuff, and i really ams truggling to get my head around where that figure came from, and more importantly who actually pays that kind of price. He seems very good, but not £3500-all-in good. I could buy another f**king car for that.

A massive chunk of that will be down as labour charge. Actual paint time and materials costs are quite low compared to the hours spent on preparation. Best way to keep the cost as low as possible is to strip 99% of it yourself and deliver them as bare a shell as possible.

I take it youre after a full in and out respray?

A massive chunk of that will be down as labour charge. Actual paint time and materials costs are quite low compared to the hours spent on preparation. Best way to keep the cost as low as possible is to strip 99% of it yourself and deliver them as bare a shell as possible.

I take it youre after a full in and out respray?

Yeah that was with me stripping down everything like the door handles, mirrors, lights, bumpers etc etc. To be fair, when it comes for paint it won't have the doors on for a start so taking the boot and bonnet off as well would be no biggy.

Just want it painting white on the outside. With the car as it is, i'm quite happy to leave stuff like the engine bay, underside and interior black as it'll compliment the white nicely and save on hours of f**king about. The shell should be 90% ready for paint when it comes to it i think, all the panels bar the roof, doors, bonnet and boot will have been prepped already.

Wraps look decent but how long do they realistically last? £1200 every few years isn't something i'm down for!

I think i'm just gonna do the mechanicals to start with, then can do the bodywork when i've stacked some serious p.

Agreed that 2.5k isn't too unrealistic. The amount of hours you can sink into doing a respray soon adds up. EDIT: Although with all that work you are doing and the sort of finish you want that does sound steep.

The golf is still no better. I've had the whole of the fuel lines off this morning. Cleaned them out, went for a drive and it started spluttering again after a mile or so. Got a bit fed up with this car to be honest, lack motivation to fix it at the moment.

Edited by Duncy H

Agreed that 2.5k isn't too unrealistic. The amount of hours you can sink into doing a respray soon adds up. EDIT: Although with all that work you are doing and the sort of finish you want that does sound steep.

The golf is still no better. I've had the whole of the fuel lines off this morning. Cleaned them out, went for a drive and it started spluttering again after a mile or so. Got a bit fed up with this car to be honest, lack motivation to fix it at the moment.

Did you find that bodged repair?

Anyway, blast the carb out with carb cleaner and check for vac leaks while you're there. He had this problem before, I can't remember specifically what was wrong but I'm pretty sure the same suggestion cleared it (for a while at least!).

Not yet no, but that is a very, very good shout. It's gonna be partially going over fibreglass which as i understand it can have certain "issues" such as paint crazing if you do it wrong, or the panels themselves distorting a little after fitment, but i guess that a wrap could eliminate that problem.

Wrapping will be a lot better than paint, especially on fibreglass. My FG bonnet looked brilliant when it was new and just painted, you could hardly tell it was FG. But now after it's had some use the paint is cracked all over the place, I think it's the gel coat that's giving up. With a wrap this would not show and the wear of the bonnet would actually be slower too since wrap has a solid structure that could work as a retainer for what's underneath.

Did you find that bodged repair?

Anyway, blast the carb out with carb cleaner and check for vac leaks while you're there. He had this problem before, I can't remember specifically what was wrong but I'm pretty sure the same suggestion cleared it (for a while at least!).

I did! What a beautiful bodge!

I've had the carb off and have completely stripped it down top to bottom and cleaned it. Put it back together and just done 15 mile in car with no problem. Still wont be convinced its fixed til I've done more milage.

What do you mean by check for vac leaks?

Had a customer drop in a Sylva Riot at work earlier. My god that looks like a lot of fun! Only powered by a little 1.6 Zetec SE, so maybe 115bhp I guess? But weighing in at well under half a ton that must feel like a fair bit! Much better looking in the flesh than in photos too. I was really impressed with how well thought out the chassis seemed to be, everything was very well engineered and you can see why they seem to have been doing well in competition. Really cool little car.

Often wondered about those... but never had chance to look at one properly. I think it would have to be a bike engine in one though :D

In unrelated news, anyone ever managed to connect to an Emerald ECU with a USB-Serial adaptor? Bought the 'official' one and it won't play ball no matter what I try (changing ports, data rates, rebooting, connecting in different orders, card running, car sat with ignition on)... Need to swap a map over before the weekend.

Often wondered about those... but never had chance to look at one properly. I think it would have to be a bike engine in one though :D

In unrelated news, anyone ever connected to an Emerald ECU with a USB-Serial adaptor? Bought the 'official' one and it won't play ball no matter what I try (changing ports, data rates, rebooting, connecting in different orders, card running, car sat with ignition on)... Need to swap a map over before the weekend.

They do an R1 powered version too, which is supposed to come in at 420 to 450kg. I can vouch for the general design appearing to be very nice, I'd say it's probably the best designed/packaged kit car I've seen in a little while, all the suspension and steering looks great, only downside I could see's that you can't really be over 6 foot!

We've just finished a load of work on a road car belonging to the guy who's just bought the rights to their production, sounds like he's got some interesting plans, and he dropped one down to get us to look at some small bodywork changes, and a possible complete redesign (bodywork wise) in the future.

Definitely worth taking a closer look at sometime.

Where is the best place online to get a VW OEM bumper from? It's for a mk4 golf by the way. I've found some on eBay which seem ok but I want to know how much an OEM one should be so I can compare with the quote from the vw garage...