The Car Thread

MadManMike

Car only passed it's MOT didn't it?!

Loving the Clio at the moment, so much so I got pulled over by the 5-0 yesterday. A stern telling off and I was on my way, but first time in 7 years of driving and that was my first run in with the law.

• Like 2

Yet another potential forged engine has fallen through due to the seller being a mong. Can't find another out there anywhere other than one with a mental built head and turbo/mani/loads of extras which is well out of my budget. As much as I do want to build one myself, I don't really have the time and I'm an impatient willy so buying one complete would be handy. Buying the other one with undrilled rods is sorely tempting right now, but it'd always be in my mind.

Forgot to say before, unless I did say and I've forgotten, but Anglesey is fun as f**k.  I'm sure Ads will mention more when we get the videos up, but it was an awesome day.  The wind was ridiculous, but we miraculously got dry weather all day so after a couple of sessions on some 'interesting' new tyres in the morning we got the slicks on and fun was had.  The weather got better throughout the day until we were booting it round with the sun coming out.  I got to have the last drive, and every time I came around the Banking and along to Church there was an amazing sunset developing, then coming over the brow at Peel you got to look out at the coast and see all the waves smashing into the rocks.  The GoPro footage looks a little cloudy at points because the salt spray was drying on the cover and making it blurry, but it was still good enough for Ads and I to geek out about corner times and stuff earlier on.

We filmed at 60fps, and Adam did sequential laps that were within 2 frames of each other time-wise.  Consistent.

• Like 1

Not quite car news but car related....dad gave me a 'broken' arc welder the other day, I cleaned it all up and now it works nicely, it even welds thin metal surprisingly well for such a huge machine! It'll be perfect for my tear drop caravan build that I want to do next year. I also got a brand new SIP MIG welder for £35 a few hours ago, unfortunately it is gasless only but for that price I can't really lose, the welds from it are actually pretty good considering how much negativity there is about gasless welding.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Yet another potential forged engine has fallen through due to the seller being a mong. Can't find another out there anywhere other than one with a mental built head and turbo/mani/loads of extras which is well out of my budget. As much as I do want to build one myself, I don't really have the time and I'm an impatient willy so buying one complete would be handy. Buying the other one with undrilled rods is sorely tempting right now, but it'd always be in my mind.

As we said mate, it's just not worth the risk. Bloody frustrating why people bother to fit non-rifle drilled rods, but hey ho. I'll be friendly, you can have the first one we spot :P

• Like 1

Despite all the work I've done on the Eunos, I've never actually done an oil and filter change, because the engine is screwed and I've been expecting to replace it.

So, after just over a year, I replaced the oil and filter today. The difference is amazing, it's so much quieter and maybe just psychological, but it feels like it picks up quicker now too.

I need to source an o2 sensor that's long enough to reach my 4-2-1 manifold next, as I think that'll be the main cause of my poor fuel economy.

3 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Which model potato did you film that on?? 

The spray was nuts - you'd get water/spray on your visor randomly depending on which part of the track you were on.  There was a bunch of sea foam floating up on the wind too.  You'd go out for 6-7 laps, head back and in and need to clean your visor/the camera because they'd just be cloudy as f**k straight away.

Such a good day though, was really glad the rain held off and we got to play around with the slicks.  Thanks for sorting it all out, and for making the video too Ads :)

Didn't have much planned today and wanted to go try out my MX5 after Adam played with the air/fuel setup on my car.  Pretty late in the day (about 1ish) I decided to go get up in the "Evo triangle"'s shit having found out the day before it was actually pretty close.  Found a fun route through that incorporated some really good A/B-roads to get to the start of the first leg of the triangle, then headed around and headed off on a few de-tours while I was going round it.  Every road I turned off on ended up being really good, with the main route itself being fun as well.  Was a little sketchy as there was a little run-off water from the hills going over the roads at some points, and in the tree-lined sections there was general needle/leafy shit nearer the edges, but it was so quiet it didn't matter as you could just use whatever part of the road you wanted.  

I ended up getting there when it was getting pretty dusky, and I think that's partially why it was so quiet.  As I was getting to within about 20miles or so of the Cerrigydrudion end of the triangle I started having a load of Porsches, MX5s and various other fast cars heading towards me so I think I got there after everyone else had finished playing around.

Scenery was pretty amazing up there too.  I didn't get a chance to take it in too much as I was keeping my eyes on the road, but when you get out onto the tops and by all the reservoirs it looked really good, and with the sun setting as a backdrop it was pretty cool.

Definitely worth a trip at some point if it's not super far away from you.  The main triangle itself is about 20miles or so, but the B5105 that links to it from Ruthin is really good too and adds a bit to the length (;)), and the A494 is good at points too.  As mentioned pretty much every junction you come across along the triangle has a fun road leading off from it, so if - say - you stay going straight on along the A543 rather than sticking a right onto the B4501 there's plenty more goodness to be had.  Not sure on the name of it, but when I joined the B4501 having headed back down the A543 there was a left turn that I took that led onto another really good road.  There's a good mix of roads from sweep, fast stuff to slow tech stuff, some good undulations, a lot of it's got really good visibility, etc.  Very much recommended...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Haz said:

I'm listening...

I was due to do some instruction for someone on that Bedford date, but he wrote the car off a few weeks ago... Just gave him a shout but sadly he cancelled the booking - I was hoping he still had it and would sell, sorry!