Onza Limey 24"?

Joe@Onza

In a few months the new Zoot will be out, Will fall in line with the rest of the 24" street market but there has been some displayed interest in a more UCI compy style 24" based around the Limey. What you like to see in it or would you like to see one at all?

I definetely want to see one. Just lots of options (vee, disc, and 4-bolt) (long/short) etc. etc. I think it would be sweet if it was designed after the new limeys B)

Lots of options for a slightly smaller market isn't so easy, but with the Zoot covering short options, a longer, compy style 324 would fit in perfectly. Something around 1060, 375, +45, 72 would likely be nice (i'll play at some point and see if numbers work). Vee mounts would be sweet, but that's purely down to my own personal preference :P

Limey stylings would top it off nicely - I just threw one together very quickly in photoshop but laptop death put a stop to that! :(

The geo you described in the limey thread in bike pics sounds perfect to be honest but i would love to see it look like the limey 20/26 frames! I agree with indianatrials also some options would be nice, but im not sure how feesable that would be financially.

Also you said the zoot will be avaliable soon, so what will it look like?

Edited by bender b rodreguez

The geo you described in the limey thread in bike pics sounds perfect to be honest but i would love to see it look like the limey 20/26 frames! I agree with indianatrials also some options would be nice, but im not sure how feesable that would be financially.

Sure, i agree, i was just thinking what would be nice for consumer, even though it may not be feesable.

Our original Zoot was a T-Rex frame modified to something close to Inspired geometry. We produce a couple of hundred and sold them all and to this day we get asked for them usually at least once a week. Most advice at the time told us that 24" was street and a much more hybridised Trials/Bmx was what was wanted in that market. The new Zoot has therefore moved in that direction. Now we are being told that there is a demand for a TGS 24" based around the Limey. Is it just a few loud shouters magnifying the requirement or is there a genuine grass roots demand. Can anyone tell me the potential for such a bike in competition use. I thought they were banned but now I am not sure as there have been so many rule changes recently. If that is still the case, where is the market and who would buy it, given that it would not be in a starter bike price bracket whether a frame or a complete cycle.

Edited by Mike Poyzer @ Onza

At present (I think) 24"'s aren't eligable in the 'big' comps- nationals, europeans, worlds etc but I'm already competing in the Hampshires on my Inspired so no reason why club trials would have a problem with it. However, that's missing the direction which trials seems to be going in the UK. The attendees at comps has gone down and down even though the number of riders seems to have increased overall. That basically means most people want to just have fun and ride what they want, whether that's rocks in a quarry or brick walls in town. I can definitely see there being a market for a more trialsy, mainstream 24" and if it utilised the Limey hydroformed tubing it would certainly be a pretty aesthetically pleasing frame.

The bikes would most likely be completely in-betweeny bikes (that is between 20" and 26", but pretty focussed as a real trials 24"), set up to have fun on (but more in a trials way than an Inspired type bike). In betweeny setup of bars and stem, pretty lightweight, knobbly tires, standard trials gearing etc etc. to allow 'proper' trials riding to be done but with the bonus of having the flickability and fun factor of a 24". Your best bet would be to get a prototype made to roughly Kabra geo and take it from there with feedback from riders.

Edit: Oh yeah, brake mounts. I think for proper trials use you'd definitely want a disc mount and I guess Magura mounts. You can easily go from 4-bolt to V-brake with adapters but it's a nightmare to go the other way from V-mounts to 4-bolt.

I'm a leeson rider.

I love it for street - but that Richmond Trials in Vancouver video on the Echo seriously makes me want a bike like that. Even if I could afford it - the big wheels just don't feel... "right" to me. Can't get used to them.

Something I learned from my Zoot...

Either make it designed for street, or hoppy hoppy shit. Don't go half arsed.

Zoot was good to learn on - and even eased me into the 609 after starting out on a mod, but I'd like a super non-streety frame too.

I - personally - would want V mounts, but if there was a way of making all the mounts into the design - I'd do that. Save having to make different versions ;) Like the 24UK did... Have all of them.

Dunno how you'd manage that if it's the shape of the 3/320 though.

I'd want it light... but not stupid light, like Koxx. It's gotta last some time.

Make it feel like a koxx/rockman - but keep sensible prices, and use slightly smaller wheels.

Oh - also - I'd want you to just give me one. :P

Edit: Basically - I've gone whole hog on the 24 scene - but I really find myself missing the feel of a bike designed to gap and sidehop, and makes it easy to chuck yourself at 'em.

And for those saying about a TGS 24 not having the benefits of either stock or mod... How do you know there aren't other benefits of such a size, if it's not really been tried out? Maybe they'll make absolute hooking machines :P

Edited by aener

I dont think it matters if you can compete on a 24 because the zoot, inspired, effect, czar, echo ect all exist. Prehaps alot of people fancy a change from streety 24s. I think a limey 324 will simply be an evolution of existing bikes. Like the bikes of old they evolved from being short and having seats and gears to the bikes of today being long, low, seatless and singlespeed.

IMO 24'' should have two sides.

A big mod feel (short cs's, high bb, long wb, no saddle)

A BMXy feel (longer cs's, lower bb, shorter wb, with saddle)

But then again i think there should be more american style trials frames available! (mtb stylee, with a saddle.)

Or is it just me?

Personally more and more I'm thinking that streety 24's are pointless because for pure "street" riding BMX's bitch em, hence me selling the Inspired.

A TGS 24, would be perfect for me if I get back into trials, main problems are rims.

No. A tgs 24 without a seat is a shocker of an idea. Just why ?

as I keep saying...what advantages will it have?

wont tap as well as 26", won't bunnyhop as well as 20" Jack of all trades, master of non.

What is with these completely close minded attitudes?!

24" bikes are not specially reserved for people who ride street! It just happens to be that way right now because no one (yet, i know there's a few in production) has designed a 24" for more pure trials stuff.

Ali you keep going on about the cons and just generally picking out all the bad points, ever thought about the fact that a 24" bike will bunnyhop better than a stock, but hook / tap better than a mod? You don't really seem to look beyond that one comment you make every time someone brings up the 24" bike issue.

If people ride mods and people ride stocks then something in the middle (be it 22" or 24") are going to be wanted by some riders, just in the same way that if some people like +20 BB's and some people like +80 BBs, then without even asking you know there's going to be people out there who want a frame with a +60BB. I for one would love to try a 24" as I ride more comp oriented stuff these days and would love bigger wheels for easier roll downs and stuff but don't want to take it as far as a stock. I'm sure there's a bunch of mod riders who feels the same - as just as many stock riders who want something a bit more manageable and flickyer than a stock.

What's wrong with giving people more choice?!

Our original Zoot was a T-Rex frame modified to something close to Inspired geometry. We produce a couple of hundred and sold them all and to this day we get asked for them usually at least once a week. Most advice at the time told us that 24" was street and a much more hybridised Trials/Bmx was what was wanted in that market. The new Zoot has therefore moved in that direction. Now we are being told that there is a demand for a TGS 24" based around the Limey. Is it just a few loud shouters magnifying the requirement or is there a genuine grass roots demand. Can anyone tell me the potential for such a bike in competition use. I thought they were banned but now I am not sure as there have been so many rule changes recently. If that is still the case, where is the market and who would buy it, given that it would not be in a starter bike price bracket whether a frame or a complete cycle.

I feel there is a demand for it, and it's very large at the moment as there isn't a non-street 24" frame to date. Although, if you guys are just starting to think about designing one, by the time it gets round to being available to the public you'll probably be competing with a handful of models by then. But Onza usually hard to compete with with regards to value so it would well be worth looking into.

I feel the only reason a 24" non-street frame / bike hasn't been designed till now is because there just hasn't been the components that would suit it, however now that echo have come out with all sorts of 24" forks and rims, there's nothing stopping people.

As for comps I was always under the impression that now they've merged the mod and stock categories and scrapped all the rules about gears and stuff, i can't see why 24 wouldn't be against the rules. And even if it is currently I don't think it'd hold for very long.

Edited by JT!

Insted of making a 24inch as theres so many now, why not look back and make an oldskool 26inch, around 1030 too 1040 wheelbase.

Mite get more interest as there ant many about, only one ive seen that looks quite gd is the new rockman frame which looks like the old planet-x.

Hehe, the old school streety 24"'s are thinking of going more new school trialsy while the new school 26" trialsers want to go old school streety! :giggle:

Hehe, the old school streety 24"'s are thinking of going more new school trialsy while the new school 26" trialsers want to go old school streety! :giggle:

How many peeps want to see an inspired 26inch? Loads or people. Wat if 26inch street bikes start getting bigger next, mite aswell be the first to try again?