What Happens When You Abuse Steel

Damon W

I have to say if i was sent two frames to test i would ride the lightest one then when and if it broke i would ride the other one till it bent/broke then i would let the company know / send them back and get a couple more strongerones made thats how i would do it and i know thats how the bmx pros do it as i know some and they start with a really badly made light frame and work backwards !

i dont think posting it on here was a good idea and selling the second frame was a really bad idea !

peace out

Also ali c

The idea is to advertise the frame and to test it he has done both but not in the right/good way

Edited by matt_urban

well as if he cares, i think the whole point is hes never going to ride a marino again so he may aswel post the pics up. and even still, any company would still sponsor him in a flash. gutted marino for sending you top rider a crap frame, karma.

marino doesnt care, so why do you? thats all i wana know!

and anyways as stated its a proto, so itd be like him riding for gu typhoon, he gets a proto gu st and kills and posts pics! why the f**k would that put off futur gu typhoon buyers. u forum pro wanabes get so upset so quickly about so little its kinda sad!

i honestly dont know how some of you make it through life wacko.gif

Thats shit. Not karma in the slightest. He asked for a light frame, he got one, he broke it. Maybe posting it up here wasn't brilliant, but its done. I doubt you've ever rode a marino frame so how do you know they are crap?

Marino does care and rightfully so its his reputation being put out the window unfortunately.

If we assume that the part is a prototype as it is in this situation, when you use said part and find out that it's shit or it breaks for you then you go along to Ashton and tell them your thoughts and explain what improvements you would like to see before the part comes into production.

Also, you don't sell the spare one you've been sent on Ebay.

Well i suppose what it boils down to is what it says on his contract.

My guess is they never gave him one, so he's free to do what ever the hell he likes.

I woukdnt sponsor some one who posts pictures up on the internet of the product that they have borken for a "laugh" or to "show" us how reliable that product is.

Well i suppose what it boils down to is what it says on his contract.

My guess is they never gave him one, so he's free to do what ever the hell he likes.

Sorry, you're right.. f**k over the little guy and his cottage industry simply because he placed his trust in someone rather than setting out a contract. This is Trials not Formula 1 for christs sake.

As I said earlier..

Absolutely shocking behavior selling something sent to you to test, I wouldn't have the audacity to do something like that. You've abused someones trust.
Edited by nichols_sam

Well i dont think a shop he is sponsored by gives a rag weather he breaks somthing or not?

It's got nothing to do with breaking something, it's about having a shit attitude and plastering the broken something over the internet, without making any effort to let people know it was a one off frame or anything like that. I also think a sponsor may have something to say if the rider sells a free prototype frame which he's been sent to test and provide feedback on. Or am I missing something?

well as if he cares, i think the whole point is hes never going to ride a marino again so he may aswel post the pics up. and even still, any company would still sponsor him in a flash. gutted marino for sending you top rider a crap frame, karma.

Never has so much bullshit been spouted by so few to so many...

It would appear that Damon's attitude sucks majorly, sponsorship should be about giving more back to your sponsor than they give you.

I'm potentially looking for some riders to sponsor some time in the next few months, don't think Damon is going to be one of the people I approach...

First of all the steel used in Marino frames is A53 carbon steel, I did a bit of background research and it appears to have similar qualities to chromo but a tiny bit weaker. I think the actual problem is with the actual tubing used not the material, for instance the thickness and diameter. I dented my Marino on the third ride (small one on the downtube) which was not great and I didn't hit it that hard, however I have the intelligence to see that it is an untested custom frame that cost £90, so don't care too much.

I did ask Marino about making frames out of 4130 or reynolds and was told the reason that he doesn't do it is that it would cost a lot to get the tubing to him, so he would have to heavily up the price of his frames (probably double them, however he is going to start using true temper tubing soon.

And like any frame manufacturer, there's always the possibility to break their frames, and there's where the warranty takes place, Marino gives a 6 months warranty against manufacturing and material defects, which in this case would have applied.

Also Marino is already planning in getting Chromoly, so the strength will be better in a while.

- Elijah.

Do you think this would cover my dented frame as it did go a bit prematurely?

Yes but it took someone else to mention that this was a prototype, and it also very much came across (whether you meant it to or not!) that you were letting the world know that Marinos are rubbish.

I think what people are finding most shocking about this Damon, is that you sold the other frame Marino sent you (clearly indicating that they were dubious about the strength of this prototype!).

If I were the owner/operator of Marino I'd be feeling very very dissapointed with you right now. This is NOT the behaviour you expect of a rider you support! I dare say the rest of your sponsors would agree!

Why didn't you just contact Marino and tell him that the (lightweight) frame design was far too weak and either suggest improvements or let him decide what needed to be done.

You obviously discussed the fact that the frame wouldn't last long anyway.

This isn't the first prototype to fail and it certainly won't be the last.. whether it's a bike, car, electronic component.. anything.

Absolutely shocking behavior selling something sent to you to test, I wouldn't have the audacity to do something like that. You've abused someones trust.

The way you have spoken in this topic is pretty poor too, I hope your current sponsors/prospective sponsors are thinking twice..

It's got nothing to do with breaking something, it's about having a shit attitude and plastering the broken something over the internet, without making any effort to let people know it was a one off frame or anything like that. I also think a sponsor may have something to say if the rider sells a free prototype frame which he's been sent to test and provide feedback on. Or am I missing something?

Never has so much bullshit been spouted by so few to so many...

It would appear that Damon's attitude sucks majorly, sponsorship should be about giving more back to your sponsor than they give you.

I'm potentially looking for some riders to sponsor some time in the next few months, don't think Damon is going to be one of the people I approach...

>_< +1000