The Car Thread

MadManMike

The FR is a diesel variant of the Cupra, not quite on par with an LCR but still a lovely car. Mapped up to 200bhp they are a bit of a beast, depends how many miles you do. You can get a decent R private for the same price as an FR, I'd hold out for an R personally.

I do about 400 a week so MPG is fairly important to me. Doubt I would get it mapped, insurance companies already have enough reasons to quote me unhappy, plus my driving abilities wouldn't warrant it.

Never really looked at the cupra r before, but the prices seem similar on auto trader. I think/thought I like diesel cars more, but maybe I've just never driven the right petrol car... definitely food for thought.

Ta for the info :)

Well insurance is cheaper than I thought it would be! £286 on this http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302225449937/sort/default/usedcars/model/leon/make/seat/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/2/radius/1500/keywords/cupra_r/postcode/cf244pg?logcode=p

And err, last question (in all likelihood I'm not going to be buying a new car any time soon, but anyway..) - people say diesel engines will go on for ever and ever, does the same apply for petrol engines nowadays? Would you be more confident buying a petrol or diesel engine if it had 100,000 miles on the clock?

Derv may well be the way to go then if you're covering that sort of milage dude. A PD150 Leon would fit the bill rather nicely for you :)

Looked after with history the petrol should be absolutely fine at 100k really - Mine is around there and feels like new. Standard rules apply though, so no history and a douchebag of a previous owner would be signs to steer clear.
Diesel will be just about run in by then ;)

He hasn't posted any dyno print outs or even guestimates I don't think? I love Audi 90's as you know, I hope it is fast.
Its 285bhp which whilst not being enough to spin the earth the opposite way, is tons of fun :) And better still, from a standstill I can boot it in every gear and never once even nearly lose traction :lol: And just because I know you love to split hairs, it's an 80, not a 90 :P

My remapped diesel gives me better mpg than standard if I drive as normal :) around 5mpg more

Hmm yeah I've been tempted to do it with my VRS. But then I hear people going on about the clutch taking more stress, and it's already done 90,000 miles. I guess if it was on 40,000 ish then I'd be more tempted/less concerned the clutch would explode and cost a shedload to fix. I don't know enough about remapping either, so it scares me a bit :P

Just been driving about and I'm seriously tempted to trade mine in now. I'm going to be in pembrokeshire for the next 3 years (due to my girlfriends job) so I'm pretty much tied into doing 400 miles per week commuting to cardiff for the next 3 years... makes sense to get something a bit nicer to drive in now.

In the mean time, I'm going to take the door cards off my fabia and replace the speakers (one of them has blown) - this should be fun...

Derv may well be the way to go then if you're covering that sort of milage dude. A PD150 Leon would fit the bill rather nicely for you :)

Looked after with history the petrol should be absolutely fine at 100k really - Mine is around there and feels like new. Standard rules apply though, so no history and a douchebag of a previous owner would be signs to steer clear.

Diesel will be just about run in by then ;)

That was the answer I was looking for :D

• Like 1

No you aren't, it's almost a grand too much.

Am I wrong in thinking 'Christ, that's alotta money'??

That company will have bought it privately for about what the other guys were saying - they offered me a silly amount for my Skoda and did the same with my mate's Octavia (and he went for it). It was up the next day for nearly double what they gave him for it. That's business of course, but if you are happy to buy privately you'll get the same car much cheaper :)

Thats the cheapest CTR in my area by quite a margin. Most are 4-5k.

I mean look at the price of this http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302185394230/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/manual/fuel-type/petrol/engine-size-cars/1-7l_to_1-9l/model/leon/make/seat/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/saved-search-id/2c92961f3d20266d013d2651b407000a/page/1/radius/30/keywords/cupra/postcode/ls131nh?logcode=p

Hmm yeah I've been tempted to do it with my VRS. But then I hear people going on about the clutch taking more stress, and it's already done 90,000 miles. I guess if it was on 40,000 ish then I'd be more tempted/less concerned the clutch would explode and cost a shedload to fix. I don't know enough about remapping either, so it scares me a bit :P

Your VRS has same engine as mine, and I had mine mapped. It's definitely easiest and most satisfying mod to do. Awesome GTI in manchester have(or had) a nice offer on the pd130 engines for a generic stage 1 map for £150. I've done nearly 30k since having it done and no problems yet :) Takes it from 130 to roughly 170 bhp and around 300lb-ft of torque.

Hey guys, a quick and pretty generic question that I have seen in here a dozen times but here goes...

I am moving back to my parents for a few months and will need a car to travel to work and back (max 150 miles a week). I am moving away again in September so the call will be getting sold on again then. I am essentially looking for a toy so I just want something fun and a bit different. I have always loved cars and have always had a plan for my 'first' car of my own and now I am in a position that I can own one I don't know what I want. Ideally I don't want to spend more than about £2k on the car but insurance etc isn't an issue as long as it is not obscene... Any thoughts?

Well insurance is cheaper than I thought it would be! £286 on this http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302225449937/sort/default/usedcars/model/leon/make/seat/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/2/radius/1500/keywords/cupra_r/postcode/cf244pg?logcode=p

And err, last question (in all likelihood I'm not going to be buying a new car any time soon, but anyway..) - people say diesel engines will go on for ever and ever, does the same apply for petrol engines nowadays? Would you be more confident buying a petrol or diesel engine if it had 100,000 miles on the clock?

That Cupra R is basically EXACTLY what I am looking for to replace my Cupra.

Seriously nice cars and as you can see from my recent misfortune they are very well built! For that money you will easily get a nice Cupra with 60-80k miles, full leather, electric everything. The problem I have right now is I have to replace a very tidy Cupra but there there seems to be lots of overpriced shit being advertised right now. I'm going to be patient and hope a worthy replacement turns up.

Had a bit of a problem earlier with my brothers car regarding the NS rear brake. The car is a Mondeo ST220 and we was going along about 70 when there was juddering it felt like bad wheel wobble but alot worse and noiser so we pulled over. Got out the car walked round and there was a little bit of smoke coming from the brake, there was no excessive braking or anything before hand so the caliper must be stuck/sticking. Anyway you could feel the heat the alloy was redicoulsly hot as was the disc obviously, let it cool down for a bit then drove off about half a mile it done it again so we stopped in tescos, once again it was terribly hot and there was tons of brake dust, jacked the car up and couldnt even turn the wheel compared to the other side which was fine. Left it again for a while then drove home slowly to try and reduce the heat, there was no squealing or any noise from it just lots and lots of heat. Going to take the wheel off tomorrow in the day and check it out but am I right in guessing its going to be something to be with worn pads and the caliper piston pressing out more than usual and that also being worn making it get stuck?

Meh, this was bound to happen sooner or later....

dsc03353g.jpg

dsc03359t.jpg

dsc03358sf.jpg

dsc03357z.jpg

dsc03355j.jpg

Overall 2 crashes, the bad one which cost me the rear end and wheel happened while warming up of the tyres, later through that run I hit tyres next to a tree. Got that one on video, will upload later.

Edited by Greetings

That Cupra R is basically EXACTLY what I am looking for to replace my Cupra.

Seriously nice cars and as you can see from my recent misfortune they are very well built! For that money you will easily get a nice Cupra with 60-80k miles, full leather, electric everything. The problem I have right now is I have to replace a very tidy Cupra but there there seems to be lots of overpriced shit being advertised right now. I'm going to be patient and hope a worthy replacement turns up.

I'm guessing thats if you buy it privately? Think i'm set on the diesel.. if you come across one in your searches let me know ;)

Just replaced my front speakers in the fabia, had to take the door cards off and drill out old speakers. Pretty scary, but its all back in one piece and my speaker no longer makes a terrible farting sound.

Removed your old mirrors and Connects2 for me yet, Ticcy?! :P

I removed the connects2 and the 'stowage box' that replaces the CD Changer. Due to the front end being crushed in it was awkward removing the unit so I managed to rip a few wires out of place so will need to figure out which bit they all need to be recrimped/soldered to. If I end up not needing it in the next car they are yours (Y)

I'm guessing thats if you buy it privately? Think i'm set on the diesel.. if you come across one in your searches let me know ;)

You will even find dealers with tidy Cupra's for under £3k. Finding a Cupra R for under £3k might even be possible if you buy privately.

I paid £2500 for mine just under 1 year ago and everything similar (Facelift, approx 100k miles, full leather etc...) I have seen so far is advertised at £3500-£4000 so when the insurers start asking how much I want I'm going to have to be forceful and provide them links to all these 'overpriced' adverts and pray they are not twats about giving me my money :P

• Like 1

Just spotted your post - must have skipped that page. looks like a nasty crash!

The insurers came back with a decent price when I wrote off my leon (direct line), I tried to tell the man I wanted more, but he'd obviously heard it all before and assured me it was a decent price - which when I looked about a bit, I realised it was. Hopefully they'll be nice to you :)