The Car Thread

MadManMike

Because its the only sub 4K insurance i can get. It's still £3000 a year :( Its only a 1.4 8v MPI Polo

I don't get these outrageous quotes. Do people actually pay that much for insurance? I haven't had a personal car insurance policy since 2008, and back then for me it wasn't so bad. But it seems now that young people especially are quoted an absolute fortune even for a relatively tame car.

I don't get these outrageous quotes. Do people actually pay that much for insurance? I haven't had a personal car insurance policy since 2008, and back then for me it wasn't so bad. But it seems now that young people especially are quoted an absolute fortune even for a relatively tame car.

I'm paying just over £3000 a year with a tracking device. The majority of my friends who drive are named drivers on their mums policy when it's not their mums, even still it's about £1500. It's an absolute joke but I've just got to bite the bullet and pay it I guess

I'm paying just over £3000 a year with a tracking device. The majority of my friends who drive are named drivers on their mums policy when it's not their mums, even still it's about £1500. It's an absolute joke but I've just got to bite the bullet and pay it I guess

Ive got a Skoda Fabia estate, Same engine as your polo, 19, No claims and im paying £900 full comp as the main driver. But admittedly everything else i tried was sky high, over £2,000 easily.

Edited by trials owns

I'm 23 now, every 6 months I do a few quotes on different cars and it's never been worth bothering with yet. £750 TPFT for a 1.0l Nissan Micra was the cheapest I've seen so far.

My plan at the moment is to pass my test and not get a car of my own for 6 months or so, because from playing around with quotes that seems to drop them by about a third.

It's almost at the point where I earn enough and the cost would be low enough to get some wheels, but not quite...

Just rang my insurance to look at cancelation fees.. Turns out that if i drove over my 6,000 mile allowance then they do not charge per mile, it will just invalidate any claims i put in! I'm just going to keep driving until next year so atleast ive got a years NCB :)

Just had my manifold off to replace a gasket and noticed a fine crack in the manifold, although there's no soot suggesting it's not blowing there. I need to get it back on ASAP so I guess some exhaust paste will do? Should I drill the ends of the cracks?

paste will work ok but probanly won't last long. cast manifolds are prone to cracking, because they're mass produced, there's no time/money to stress relieve them. I doubt it'll get worse, once the crack has relieved the tention from the casting process usually they dont get any worse. (Sort of 8 out of 10 dont) so little need to drill it, if your concerned, a good mechanic or fabricator should be able to weld it for little more than a drink but personaly I'd keep an eye on it and wouldn't worry (assuming its cast ofcourse :P ) if its a stainless jobbo, get it tig'ed pronto

It is cast yeah, I ended up cleaning the crack out with a wire brush, whacking some paste on and then putting it all back together. Such an annoyingly awkward job, thank feck none of my manifold studs snapped!

Well happy now as my car doesn't sound tappy like a tractor, it's gradually getting smoother and smoother. Next jobs are to fit the Dansk exhaust and try to figure out what's causing my car to start poorly

It is cast yeah, I ended up cleaning the crack out with a wire brush, whacking some paste on and then putting it all back together. Such an annoyingly awkward job, thank feck none of my manifold studs snapped!

Well happy now as my car doesn't sound tappy like a tractor, it's gradually getting smoother and smoother. Next jobs are to fit the Dansk exhaust and try to figure out what's causing my car to start poorly

If you get the manifold off, it can be welded up using a stick welder using stainless steel welding rods. I've done this many years ago when I was an apprentice, taught by a bloke who had 40 years experience. It's fairly easy to do, and stainless rods are about a tenth of the price of cast welding rods

On a scale of 1 to dreadful..How 'bad' are the ebay special replica steering wheels? Ok for daily duties or steer :w00t: well clear all together?

says it all.

I bent my 'OMP' wheel when i was drifting last year. not in a crash, just by hanging off it a little too hard. think about what your instinct is to do in the event of a collision, its to brace your arms against the steering wheel, guessing your car has an airbag at the moment so you're really gona f**k yourself up with a cheap wheel. dont be tight, go spend the extra on a decent wheel and hub. I've got a sparco faster now and it does feel much more stable

• Like 1

Just spent a couple of hours going through permutations on Porsches, still can't really justify it with the wedding coming up :(

However, I never thought I wanted anything but the GT3, and definitely not a Cayman S/R, but then I saw and got in one. Is there any obvious reason I'm missing that they're so much cheaper than their 911 based equivalents?

I hope this post doesn't come across as it obviously could, just asking car enthusiasts their opinion rather than trying to gloat - especially being as I haven't ordered anything yet!

Just spent a couple of hours going through permutations on Porsches, still can't really justify it with the wedding coming up :(

However, I never thought I wanted anything but the GT3, and definitely not a Cayman S/R, but then I saw and got in one. Is there any obvious reason I'm missing that they're so much cheaper than their 911 based equivalents?

I hope this post doesn't come across as it obviously could, just asking car enthusiasts their opinion rather than trying to gloat - especially being as I haven't ordered anything yet!

how old? or new

im selling a couple of cars next year and was wanting a 996 gt3, but then started looking a 996 turbo with the later x50 pack as there more usable i think, but could have a nice aston for that money 30k upwards

cayman r looks good, but still not a 911!!! i do like the white boxster spyders with the red roof though but not really a daily motor!

new heater for xmas!

remain of the old one, removed with my foot

0AFE2894-4694-43A5-8A19-EB18987254FC.jpg

fitted new one went testing, cheeky snap its 300% better

54A34231-A7E0-4D33-BEE9-73591432754E.jpg

• Like 1

I'd be tempted by new if I went the Cayman S route, plenty of reviews saying they are a better car even than the 911. Also then get the option to spec it specifically to my needs, but obviously at a cost.

Gt3 wise it'd be looking at a used 997 version. Don't think I'd be able to stretch to new there, being as a decent spec starts hitting £118k.

Where I was looking there's also a brand new Ferrari garage. Wouldn't be tempted personally, but they don't half sound good!