The Car Thread

MadManMike

I would recommend a focus as long as you get one in good condition. Mine was already rusty, and when that sh*t starts on a Ford you can't stop it!

Parts are super cheap for them, and they're easy to work on, but I'd probably get a 1.6 petrol instead.

I would recommend a focus as long as you get one in good condition. Mine was already rusty, and when that sh*t starts on a Ford you can't stop it!

Parts are super cheap for them, and they're easy to work on, but I'd probably get a 1.6 petrol instead.

How come you'd go for that particular model out of interest? I sort of assumed the diesel would return better mpg overall...

The TDCi focus is great on fuel forjourneys at low speeds say 60mph but due to it lacking a 6th gear, 70mph plus makes it drop pretty dramatically.

If you're looking for something thats amazing on fuel you'll want to be looking at a car with the Pd130 /PD150 engine such as the seat ibiza, seat leon, golf mk4 tdi, not sure what else does it.

But then again i'm not sure on your budget mate.

I pray that he does.

Why?

Mostly due to a bias towards petrol power. I've heard the diesels are less reliable but that may be completely untrue.

I reckon the cost of driving the diesel is very similar to the 1.6 petrol, so there's not much between them.

As for the different petrol models, the 1.8 seems to get much worse mpg than the 1.6 and barely has any more power.

The TDCi focus is great on fuel forjourneys at low speeds say 60mph but due to it lacking a 6th gear, 70mph plus makes it drop pretty dramatically.

If you're looking for something thats amazing on fuel you'll want to be looking at a car with the Pd130 /PD150 engine such as the seat ibiza, seat leon, golf mk4 tdi, not sure what else does it.

But then again i'm not sure on your budget mate.

About £1k basically. Ideally cheaper the better just because I can't be f**ked spending that much on a car, but if it means it's a little better in the long run that's cool. I've become used to getting shafted on mpg by my Rover due to a dodgy MAF sensor and a few other issues so pretty much anything that doesn't have a drilled out fuel line is going to better.

Mostly due to a bias towards petrol power. I've heard the diesels are less reliable but that may be completely untrue.

I reckon the cost of driving the diesel is very similar to the 1.6 petrol, so there's not much between them.

As for the different petrol models, the 1.8 seems to get much worse mpg than the 1.6 and barely has any more power.

Cool, cheers for the heads up (Y) I checked out a bunch of different reviews and reliability wise the diesels seem OK, but I'll bear it in mind. Just happened to spot this 1.6 down the road from me so I might check it out and see what's up.

I'm trying to stick to stuff local to me (Bristol) just because I don't really have any means of transport to check anything out further afield.

The guy who owns it is the biggest, most offensive, gayest fanny to ever grace the earth with his miserable presence.

And on top of that, despite all his brovado and insistence that he follows Nicks very shadow he has never even done a passenger lap, let alone a track day.

Hopefully he will crash and die the first time he does, he would be doing the entire world a favor.

Big and gay he most certainly is, and he has a wing on his car. But thankfully he has those horiffic holes all over his car so people KNOW he is a fanny way before meeting him.

That's a bit harsh Jardo. I've met Andy, and yeah, the evidence is very much swinging towards him being all talk and no action, but he's a pleasant enough guy to be around. Seems more like he needs convincing to pull his finger out/take the leap rather than anything else.

Just got home from watching a VSCC day at Wiscombe Park. What an awesome sight/noise/smell. Definitely one to remember for next year. I'll get some photos up sooner or later.

That's a bit harsh Jardo. I've met Andy, and yeah, the evidence is very much swinging towards him being all talk and no action, but he's a pleasant enough guy to be around.

Different Leon owner Robin, Jardo also hates Andy though, again, for no good reason.

Both Leon owners are nice chaps.

Another vote for the tdci focus, on a steady 65 motorway run you should get 55+, as Dan said it drops of as you go faster; I tend to get 50 at legal motorway speeds, national speed limit country roads + town work I'll get 45-47ish.

Mines the 100bhp 3 door, 53 plate and on 145k runs well, is comfy and cheap enough to run :)

Regarding the rotting, mine has some bubbling on the OS rear arch, can't say that it's got significantly worse over the last 3 years I've owned the car.

Comp over, came 2nd in Open, 2nd in BMW Challenge and 4th overall. And judging by the times two of my competitors posted on the last stage, I genuinely suck. One of those times I'd ignore because the driver has a really light car, but 0.5s behind this chap (and almost 5s ahead of me) came a driver who has a car a lot worse than mine in every way. So I'm not going to do any weight saving, that is clearly not needed at this stage. And clearly we are only now starting to explore the limits of the M3 which are so far beyond what we're doing currently it's unreal. These cars are genuinely quicker than N group Evos which there were two of yesterday - both with pro rally drivers behind the wheel. One of them apparently gave up half way through because he found the experience humiliating - or so my friend says who knows him personally. Explains why he disappeared from the leaderboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27pvhKB7zVQ

10247234_465083936955153_839498321966180

10259816_465083593621854_446645336659497

Also experienced a really odd feeling in a few places because the car is now so much quicker. When going down two straights in the opposite direction I would reach a stage where I knew I had to keep the car going flat out but subconsciously I was getting really scared and wanted to lift. You start experiencing the speed as though you're no longer in charge of the car and observing what's going on from the passenger's point of view. After experiencing this a few times I actually started enjoying it a lot. Will upload a few outtakes later on, almost binned the car in one place.

Edited by Greetings
  • Like 2

Did a bit more work to the caddy today, didn't have much time. So prepped bed for painting, took out seats and cleaned all the crap out. Speaker box fell apart in the process but doesn't bother me, was an ugly piece of shit anyway. Will build a smaller, cleaner one. Not sure where I'll put the amp, also thinking of putting a small subwoofer in. I'm not crazy for noise but a nice system will make drives more bearable especially when the engine is so f**king noisy haha.

Before I started:

20140511_150932_zpsd8c398ca.jpg

Bed before prep

20140511_150947_zpsf2c633a1.jpg

Seat out, this is actually tidy, cleaned it before this picture ha.

20140511_152335_zpsaa0aa6ea.jpg

Driver side

20140511_153440_zps036aaefc.jpg

All done and hoovered.

20140511_153817_zpsc9dfbe11.jpg

Was a bit wet underneath, not good. Probably from when there was a leak back in the winter but never managed to dry out.

20140511_153917_zps4046091f.jpg

Found my missing phone battery ha, no idea how it got there.

20140511_154149_zpsb1241cfc.jpg

Speaker box fell apart, was shit anyway.

20140511_155430_zps737537c6.jpg

20140511_161354_zps1420586d.jpg

Sorted

20140511_164135_zps983bc9ab.jpg

First coat on, more to come tomorrow. Looking forward to doing new speakers/seats.

20140511_170418_zps6557eca0.jpg

20140511_170502_zps3e4ab18f.jpg

20140511_173244_zpsc9990d39.jpg

20140511_173254_zpsbbe7b5ea.jpg

• Like 2

Another vote for the tdci focus, on a steady 65 motorway run you should get 55+, as Dan said it drops of as you go faster; I tend to get 50 at legal motorway speeds, national speed limit country roads + town work I'll get 45-47ish.

Mines the 100bhp 3 door, 53 plate and on 145k runs well, is comfy and cheap enough to run :)

Regarding the rotting, mine has some bubbling on the OS rear arch, can't say that it's got significantly worse over the last 3 years I've owned the car.

Cool, cheers for the heads up (Y) Don't seem to be many/any TDCi's anywhere nearby but I'll keep an eye out.

EDIT: Just did some more reading up - seems most people only get around 40-45mpg max out of the 1.6 petrol version. That's not particularly amazing...

Don't know for definite, but over 50mpg.

The tax on the Focus is cheaper than the Rover and I think it's something like insurance group 13 compared to the 15 for the Rover. Reasonable savings overall...

How much should I be paying for a complete 1.8T (inc. all ancillaries, turbo, loom and ECU) from a Passat/Audi (needs to be a longitudinally mounted one)? Should I be looking to stick with the stock loom and ECU or going aftermarket? I would like to start acquiring parts as soon as we get the keys to the house we bought, not in a huge rush but wouldn't mind getting stuck into it quite soon! Not sure if it'll go in my 924 (likely) and keep with the standard map or if I will fit it to a 944 (less likely) with the bigger brakes and stuff already fitted allowing for more ponies instantly. Alternative engine suggestions welcomed for the 924, I did also have a Saab 2.3T in mind but I fear it'll be too much power and weight for such a dainty little car, 150-170bhp is probably more than enough for it

Cool, cheers for the heads up (Y) Don't seem to be many/any TDCi's anywhere nearby but I'll keep an eye out.

EDIT: Just did some more reading up - seems most people only get around 40-45mpg max out of the 1.6 petrol version. That's not particularly amazing...

I wouldn't buy a 1.6 100ps focus, it's not a light car and the engine struggles sometimes, the later focus has a 120ps vct 1.6 if you do want a petrol that has a little more grunt

1.6 diesel is good in the 04 onwards, need oil changes every 6k to stop turbo issues and injector seals fail but there good for well into the 50mpg

How much should I be paying for a complete 1.8T (inc. all ancillaries, turbo, loom and ECU) from a Passat/Audi (needs to be a longitudinally mounted one)? Should I be looking to stick with the stock loom and ECU or going aftermarket? I would like to start acquiring parts as soon as we get the keys to the house we bought, not in a huge rush but wouldn't mind getting stuck into it quite soon! Not sure if it'll go in my 924 (likely) and keep with the standard map or if I will fit it to a 944 (less likely) with the bigger brakes and stuff already fitted allowing for more ponies instantly. Alternative engine suggestions welcomed for the 924, I did also have a Saab 2.3T in mind but I fear it'll be too much power and weight for such a dainty little car, 150-170bhp is probably more than enough for it

Saab engines and ecu are very tuneable no need for aftermarket if you can retain the oem ecu

Powerwise, you can never have enough, it's only goes as fast as you press the pedal I have around 620bhp per ton through the rear wheels and have no issues just a large smile

What car do you have Alastair? Sounds interesting!!

Mark don't get a petrol, considered a 1.4 tdci fiesta? They easily get 70mpg pootling about and £30 tax is decent. Mk5 fiesta not sure when they start maybe 2001 onwards?

They are fairly nippy for what they are and pretty damn trouble free