The Car Thread

MadManMike

After my polo got a bum bashing by a bus, I was on the look out for a Honda civic vti ek4. eBay was full of battered over priced pieces of shit, so I went looking around lots of websites, independent dealers and so on and I found one!

Here was my polo 1.4 16V 100bhp

imagejpg1.jpg

Got a good deal on the civic and its in great condition and pretty much bog standard which is great because i want to do stuff to it overtime, vtec pulls strong, no crunches in gear changes, no rust, doesn't burn loads of oil, no smoke in vtec, low milage. Really pleased with it so much more fun compared to the polo and its quite a lot faster too.

Plans are to:

Lower a little bit on coil overs/springs not sure yet

Buddy club p1 wheels

Recaro seats

Spoonsports exhaust system

Tegiwa intake

Rear lip

Front fogs

Ek9 spoiler.

Thats it for now.

imagejpg5.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

imagejpg6.jpg

imagejpg7.jpg

On a serious note, invest in some good quality base layers if you haven't already (even if it's just a top) - being able to get warm quickly when you're riding without having to get all Michelin man and have your movement restricted/feel like you're a f**king giant means you'll be much more up for riding. I f**king hate being cold, but that feeling you get when you're properly warmed up but can feel that crisp coldness is good shit. Base layers make that dream a reality (and will help stop you becoming a post-Christmas-binge fat b*****d).

Rob, look on DriftWorks for the EK HSD coilivers. Quality pieces of kit, or if you can spend a little more look at Meisters Zeta S or Zeta R coilovers.

Ek looks lovely. Cypress green can come out veryyyy nice if it's looked after well.

Not looked at Rotas offering wheel wise? Slips/grids look sweet and don't have the buddyclub price tag on them.

Following up from last night's post: http://bit.ly/1zvSc9t

So I didn't get the chance to do anything to the Leon this afternoon, but grabbed a couple of phots in passing during daylight.

Excuse the dirty daily derv, the weather was crap here overnight and washed a shitload of mud into the road by the river. Will be getting a good clean tomorrow :)

20141205_121916_zpscdac0459.jpg

On the subject of cars needing a wash, the Leon will be needing a severe going over. Will make a world of difference with regards to cleaning it up a little.

20141205_122019_zpsa2855c53.jpg

Needs some new badges too, though I'll probably just remove these altogether. This is also the wheel with the worst kerbing. No vibrations to drive so will check it out properly when I get the chance, but may be able to get away with a refurb rather than a replacement which would be ideal.

20141205_122532_zpsb8626fc7.jpg

Needs a thorough clean on the inside too! Replacement mats to be bought.

20141205_122150_zps712d59a2.jpg

Hooray for purple tints >_<

20141205_122140_zpsbc59a12c.jpg

Shocking sticker theme continues on the inside too

20141205_122120_zps44e7d93f.jpg

Previous owner's badge placement almost as questionable as the placement of his tax disc (let alone the fact it's still there), what was he thinking?! :lol:

20141205_122125_zps27f0e458.jpg

Sweet pillar pod yo!

20141205_122132_zpsbbe12918.jpg

Engine bay is pretty uneventful

20141205_122356_zpsd377abb3.jpg

...with the exception of this gopping mess lurking

20141205_122340_zpsbae837c0.jpg

There's a Neuspeed short shift linkage hiding beneath that monstrosity too. Little too short f-r for my liking, though l-r feels good. Will work something out on that front, haven't really looked to see if this is adjustable at all.

20141205_122352_zpsd6bfc73b.jpg

Coolant level remaining constant and still pink after the 3 hour trip back. Promising!

20141205_122253_zps33856a6f.jpg

Still a little metallic jazz in there from the last of the k-seal the old garage used. Will scoop this and flush again at some point after a few more drives to clear the lines of any residual gunk.

20141205_122312_zpsc003c9cc.jpg

In related news, have had a little bit of interest in both my Golf and Soph's. If one of those go then there's room to bring this one home where I can work on it a little more readily. Fingers crossed, can't wait to get stuck in properly :)

• Like 2

On a serious note, invest in some good quality base layers if you haven't already (even if it's just a top) - being able to get warm quickly when you're riding without having to get all Michelin man and have your movement restricted/feel like you're a f**king giant means you'll be much more up for riding. I f**king hate being cold, but that feeling you get when you're properly warmed up but can feel that crisp coldness is good shit. Base layers make that dream a reality (and will help stop you becoming a post-Christmas-binge fat b*****d).

You actually recommended me some Heattech base layers four years ago when I was at Uni and I still use them to this day! Really good shout with them as I rode Hull a few weeks back and kept me toasty all day. I think part of it is a mental thing too though, the cold ground just really makes falling off a million times worse for me. But anyway, cars!

Luke will you be correcting the paintwork yourself with those pads you bought?

Rob, look on DriftWorks for the EK HSD coilivers. Quality pieces of kit, or if you can spend a little more look at Meisters Zeta S or Zeta R coilovers.

Ek looks lovely. Cypress green can come out veryyyy nice if it's looked after well.

Not looked at Rotas offering wheel wise? Slips/grids look sweet and don't have the buddyclub price tag on them.

Yeah i like the rotas but buddy clubs just do it for me, gonna have to wait for a while until i can spoil it just been laid off, perfect timing haha

Luke will you be correcting the paintwork yourself with those pads you bought?

I will indeed.They've not arrived yet but no rush. Will be easier to do properly when the car gets home, especially since I'll be needing a decent water source and room to play with clays etc - think I'd get some odd looks giving it that much attention on base :P

Sell it to me? ;)

Haha, are you looking for one? Won't be pulled off the car any time soon, if at all, but I'll try and remember to mention it here for you (Y)

Made some home made drop links for my roll bar today.

They do feel slightly better than the standard ones. The bushes on the passenger side was shagged, but its hard to feel the difference when you have standard shocks, and standard profile tyres :P

M10 female rose joints + m10 threaded bar

post-36867-0-04205500-1417811230_thumb.j

Drivers side done:

post-36867-0-47920600-1417811243_thumb.j

Passenger side done:

post-36867-0-85838100-1417811255_thumb.j

• Like 1

Went to Brands Hatch today, it was pretty shit.

All the MX5's were slow, the RX8's dropped oil everywhere and some twat in a 'race car' RX8 throw all his oil, ignored the marshals and continued to drive a full lap contaminating the whole track with oil and basically calling off three hours of driving.

I'm so f**king glad I sold my driving place to somebody else, I'd have been f**ked off if I'd paid for today.

Are they going to be ok when they encounter road grime? Can you get boots for them or are they crap?

i'm quite sceptical about the 'quality' of them. There were faily cheap, yet rated to at least 17,000NM . However when i recieved them, the bearings look like they're bronze, and the bushes look like they're nylon lined. (the actualy body is aluminium aswell.)

They can't be any worse than the ones i took off, so i might see how long they last. If im happy with them, ill either throw on some boots, or replace the rose joints with some higher quality ones.

As ive said before, ive got standard shocks, the springs are ment to be 40mm lower (they seem quite soft) so it does have alot of body roll, so its hard to feel the difference between the drop links.

Went to Brands Hatch today, it was pretty shit.

All the MX5's were slow, the RX8's dropped oil everywhere and some twat in a 'race car' RX8 throw all his oil, ignored the marshals and continued to drive a full lap contaminating the whole track with oil and basically calling off three hours of driving.

I'm so f**king glad I sold my driving place to somebody else, I'd have been f**ked off if I'd paid for today.

Brands is shit for track days full stop, too many rich twats and too few overtaking opportunities.

i'm quite sceptical about the 'quality' of them. There were faily cheap, yet rated to at least 17,000NM . However when i recieved them, the bearings look like they're bronze, and the bushes look like they're nylon lined. (the actualy body is aluminium aswell.)

They can't be any worse than the ones i took off, so i might see how long they last. If im happy with them, ill either throw on some boots, or replace the rose joints with some higher quality ones.

As ive said before, ive got standard shocks, the springs are ment to be 40mm lower (they seem quite soft) so it does have alot of body roll, so its hard to feel the difference between the drop links.

Fair enough, I'm going to make some for the 924 at some point as the rear ARB links are probably the original 30 year old things and other people run some like yours.

I feel dirty saying this but i'm starting to like the Astra, I had missed diesel in a weird way. It's making me question the 1.8T conversion in the 924 and whether to go 1.9TDI... I feel even more filthy now

Fair enough, I'm going to make some for the 924 at some point as the rear ARB links are probably the original 30 year old things and other people run some like yours.

I feel dirty saying this but i'm starting to like the Astra, I had missed diesel in a weird way. It's making me question the 1.8T conversion in the 924 and whether to go 1.9TDI... I feel even more filthy now

sad thing is, i agree with you :dance:

Had to use my astra whilst the golf was off the road. The 1.7 dti engine is the most gutless piece of shit i've ever had to put up with, but on coilovers, its the best handling car ive ever driven!

Can bring down the DA kit if you want to give it a blitz paintwork wise?

Got a rotary here so all sorted on that front but cheers bud, much appreciated. Looking forward to playing cars again properly; as much as the Golf is (shy of a clutch kit) absolutely ideal in terms of practicality and is a pleasant enough place to be, it's jut not overly inspiring. I'll miss it when I'm doing 300 miles a week though I'm sure :P

• Like 1

sad thing is, i agree with you :dance:

Had to use my astra whilst the golf was off the road. The 1.7 dti engine is the most gutless piece of shit i've ever had to put up with, but on coilovers, its the best handling car ive ever driven!

Mines the 1.9CDTI 120bhp (but its a 16v like the 150 just detuned), it's not going to set the world on fire but with a remap I think it would be quite an enjoyable commuting car