The Car Thread

MadManMike

Just stumbled across this little website:  https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Interesting to go back and see a car's history, especially if you're looking to buy.  Someone had a shocker with mine a little while back...

Reason(s) for failure
Direction indicators not working (1.4.A.2c)
Centre Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
Offside Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)
Nearside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
Offside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)

Most minimal effort at prep for an MOT ever?

The amount of cars I've seen in for test with the most obvious defects is unreal. 

Last Tuesday saw a Mondeo in with no working sidelights, fog light, no near side indicators, a near side wiperblade with no rubber, and all four tyres completely bald with cords showing on all shoulders. 

Can't believe he hadn't been pulled prior to it. 

9 hours ago, Mark W said:

Just stumbled across this little website:  https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Interesting to go back and see a car's history, especially if you're looking to buy.  Someone had a shocker with mine a little while back...

Reason(s) for failure
Direction indicators not working (1.4.A.2c)
Centre Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
Offside Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)
Nearside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
Offside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)

Most minimal effort at prep for an MOT ever?

I have my Caddys first MOT cert and it's only genuine advisory is -

'Poor visibility due to dirt on windscreen (mucky windscreen)'

How dirty does a windscreen have to be for them to note it?!

I prepped the wheels this morning but it was proving to be a timely and not very worthwhile exercise as really they need shotblasting. I whacked on some primer but the dips and stuff were showing so out came the hammer finish paint to make it all look the same. I figured since the car only looks good from a distance then it'll be fine!

I found some paints in the garage and did the lips gold which i'm happy with. I tried a white centre but it looks too full on as the centres are rather solid in appearance. I think I'll paint the centres satin black and do the centre caps in gold to match the lips which should break up the mass of black from when I first fitted them!

DSC_0087_zpsxjrgld9d.jpg

Not sure how to politely say anything about those steelies, so... They look like shit and dressing them up isn't helping. Stick to all black or all silver, the gold is making the matter much worse.

Maybe consider wheel trims?

You bought them as cheap wheels for good tyres, leave it at that :P

Sorry.

4 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

You didn't change it while the 'box was out? Lesson learned for next time... :)

It's a new clutch and bearing, fit when I popped the engine in. 

All sorted! Turns out the clutch cover I have is for a b18 and was sitting too proud and just caught the bell housing. Box back off and a tickle with the flap wheel on the offending area and it's sorted. 

My k tuned shifter has gone tits up too, so I've spent the evening knocking this up. Improved the feel massively, and the new gearbox is a mile better than the old one! 

image.thumb.jpeg.e105316d743b02813a62b97image.thumb.jpeg.d7a4b661e92671ae5f7edc5image.thumb.jpeg.7c8893a117c898696f9847dimage.thumb.jpeg.eafe28ea2fa8b7e35736bfeimage.thumb.jpeg.397b72b5dc055d0257c0b77image.thumb.jpeg.402ae11ac28ba4cf847094a

image.thumb.jpeg.9472660915affeab9020120

Edited by SamKidney
  • Like 3

Nice one, that looks good!

I quickly sprayed the centre of one wheel yesterday, then forgot to put the wheels back indoors overnight and they got a little wet which has ruined the finish. 

2016-02-20%2014.46.02_zpssxmf41dv.jpg

Much to Jolfas delight I am now bored of prepping and painting so I'll just run them over with some 'black' hammer finish paint (more like gunmetal) and be done with it, i'm 3D printing some centre caps currently, this should make them look a little more finished

Really? That seems incredibly odd - would have thought you could at least remove plugs and pull the wiring through. Sticking a 115/130 lump in the hole?

Edit; Small update form my build.

Old thrust washers.

f7f797ab-f521-4675-ba4d-68741edaeabc_zps

New thrust washers.

20160206_105522_zpsrprnn8jf.jpg

Pulled old oil gear from crankshaft.

20160221_120243_zpscsyodh1o.jpg

Old vs new.

20160221_120520_zps1zwzyh3y.jpg

Stuck the new one in the over for a bit (200 degrees for 15 minutes to be precise) then it pretty much dropped right on.

20160221_180312_zpspkdf0p61.jpg

Had a Hope MTB hub tool nearby which was perfectly suited to helping drive it on the rest of the way, though for reference any 40mm tubing would do the job so long as it has a nice straight end to it - last thing you want to do it knock it on without it being properly square.

20160221_182832_zps7eofx07e.jpg

Ready to go back in

20160221_182911_zpsv1pkq1kn.jpg

Have also been doing a little reading up/playing around with a few other bits. More on that at a later date, perhaps.

20160208_141140_zpsgf8kynjd.jpg

45 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Really? That seems incredibly odd - would have thought you could at least remove plugs and pull the wiring through. Sticking a 115/130 lump in the hole?

Bulkhead is different though, so I'd have to change it regardless. Sod knows what VW were thinking with the original throttle pedal design. Quick google shows the difference between the two throttle pedals:

old:

56ca1015b5a3e__1.JPG.91b568f8d8f05302708

new:

56ca10168b886_8_1.JPG.33a8e15ddc670868f6