The Car Thread

MadManMike

On 27/02/2016 at 9:13 AM, manuel said:

What happens when you reverse into someone without reversing lights?

There are still reversing lights there...

Although if you want to get pedantic it wouldn't matter anyway. Don't even need reversing lights for an MOT

On 27/02/2016 at 10:50 AM, Haz said:

@dann2707 Always preferred the phase 2 lights, but those do look good mate.

Cheers mate, appreciate it!

Good day Saturday on the TTTdi. Had to go bedroom furniture shopping (yawn) on the Sunday, but still managed to sneak a couple of hours in afterwards. There are some big gaps in the timeline of pictures because I got so involved I forgot to take any haha!

Started off with lining up the engine with all the bolted up new bits ready to go in the bay:

IMG_1235.thumb.JPG.45221c225b2c8c9a5b186

Engine in and bolted up with new bolts and mounts etc. Propshaft connected to transfer box, clutch line plumbed in, coolant lines etc piped up, chucked the coolant radiator and a/c radiator on, ready to fit the front panel:

IMG_1236.thumb.JPG.773755dffc9f65d6fb3d4

Then mounted the front panel, which supports the coolant radiator and a/c radiator:

IMG_1237.thumb.JPG.b31cec5f5e737602bbd61

Then chucked the crash bar and headlights on:

IMG_1239.thumb.JPG.a0df272a07da34d235eee

Chucked the engine cover on to see how it looked:

IMG_1243.thumb.JPG.5c05d7ad2fce8bef9794d

The petrol fuel lines were then pulled out, and the diesel ones put in place, along with the fuel cooler, which sits under the drivers seat on the bottom of the car:

IMG_1245.thumb.JPG.2c7318d080ac8cb4fd73f

Next up was the diesel fuel filter housing and bracket. Obviously the TT doesn't have this as stock, so needed to be drilled and mounted, as per the Golf. Fuel filter pipe up and resting in position ready for the bracket:

IMG_1248.thumb.JPG.970a0b40e0180b6946a4b

Marking the holes ready to be drilled:

IMG_1249.thumb.JPG.ede997257af9d02125f35

Holes drilled, bolts tightened, and bracket mounted:

IMG_1251.thumb.JPG.8486e4fc5f8f85d57e284

Fuel filter housing sitting in its new home, looking like stock:

IMG_1252.thumb.JPG.b3bb77e1dd86c06e2266e

Then the coolant expansion bottle was fitted (this will be replaced with a new clean one once the engine is ready to be filled with coolant):

IMG_1253.thumb.JPG.fc90cac700a4e753a1675

I then fitted the stock strut brace in place, and offered the engine cover up to see what it looked like. Needed a bit of trimming to get it to sit properly (the Golf doesn't have a strut brace):

IMG_1254.thumb.JPG.cffadd35a4e913f0a8446

Then couldn't help myself but to fit the airbox, battery and a mock intercooler charge pipe. Needs a good scrub, but really like how it looks neat and OEM, like it belongs there. Still need to put the battery box cover on, which should tidy that area:

IMG_1256.thumb.JPG.ab8b97bded984c51da9fc

Getting closer now. Still got the wiring etc to finish altering inside, but getting the engine in and the front back on felt like a big hurdle was jumped, and made the project feel like it moved forwards a lot.

• Like 9

FFS.

LCR was in for MOT on Friday, but the garage didn't manage to fit it in. No biggy, shared lifts to work with Soph and figured I'd pick it up this evening.
No contact from them at all, I popped my head down at 1700 and they'd not yet done it. Promising they'd put it through today, I've been keeping half an eye on the Gov.uk site for any signs of it being completed only to find this:

tr_zps0hpkci7i.png

A cable tie for horn wiring (which is secure, just a tad longer than essential as the horn has been moved a few inches) and a rubber exhaust hanger.

Are. You. f**king. Kidding. Me?!

Still, at least they don't say anything like this on their website that makes it even more annoying:

tr_zpsep9lbs9m.png

Will be having a word when I go and pick it up... Back to my regular guy again next year for sure, even if he is a little further away.

Our local place gave Stan a bit of hassle in a similar way -  he'd taken the power steering shit out of his MX5, and just left the power steering rack in there with nothing connected to it (so there's no pump or anything like that in the engine bay at all).  They failed it on the grounds that it should have had power steering, but didn't...

That's a really anal reason to fail a car. For starters the exhaust hangars are generally designed to adequately support the exhaust if one or more hangars fail. If one was insecure id have argued against that. 

Failing it on wiring secured by a cable tie is also pretty rediculous. 

Edited by SamKidney

1 hour ago, SamKidney said:

That's a really anal reason to fail a car. For starters the exhaust hangars are generally designed to adequately support the exhaust if one or more hangars fail. If one was insecure id have argued against that. 

Failing it on wiring secured by a cable tie is also pretty rediculous. 

It's on the database as having failed now so not really much I can do. Will Make it incredibly clear that the guy's a fanny when I pick it up though. 

In other news:

20160229_223213.thumb.jpg.04b0ed07221ca7

Not torqued up yet etc but connecting rods now connect things. 

• Like 1

Quite likely! I had a strap around my battery that only allowed a few mm of movement. They failed it on having an insecure battery. 

My car life is real boring just now because no employment. I did just install lowering springs, but the result was really disappointing. Need to chop the springs like a true pikey.

On the plus side, I do have a pretty cool garage setup going on. It's a communal warehouse full of old cars and projects. 

DSC_0089.JPG

• Like 1

Ive done a bit to the car but nothing that shows real progress :( 

Its just gone through its test with zero advisories, I've refitted my slow 1.4 to sell the B16, which fell through because people are useless, but on the upside I am saving a fortune in fuel. I just have hundreds of pounds and many many months of collecting items sat in one lump up on the loft at work getting dusty now :( 

Ive had all the brakes apart and cleaned up to rid it of an annoying squeal, new anti-roll bar links and both front lower ball joints replaced and I've raised the ride height a tad, although I want to raise the rear a little bit more as it seems to have settled arse end low and looks awful. I really ought to get some replacement coilovers ordered as these cheapo's are on their last legs and are knocking pretty badly now. My front brakes also seem to be feeling progressively worse as the pads wear. Initial bite used to be great and would take some abuse before they'd start to feel vauge, but now they generally feel very wooden until they get some heat into them and then fade out very quickly to the point where if I do brake hard enough the rear brakes seem to take over the fronts. No ABS on my car so I can rule out that fault immediately. Fluid and pad change on the cards I think. 

And I've FINALLY given the interior a proper clean after months of using it to cart around the parts I've bought for it. It was pretty grim and now its back to the state it was when I first bought it, all clean. 

Edited by SamKidney