The Car Thread

MadManMike

for how long it would have taken to remove all the plugs for the wiring (on both looms), fed them through the bulkhead, and sorted out the throttle pedal mounts, i'm sure it is quicker to swap the bulkhead.

to be honest, removing the bulkhead is not hard to do between 2 people. i had my mate putting pressure on the bulkhead from the engine bay as i used a blowtorch on the sealant, only took 30 minutes. (Y)

They look smart, nice subtle difference.

My tie rod end showed up today (At last!), so I can get my car off axle stands soon :)

Once I've fitted both the rods I can take her back to FCM and get the front alignment re-done, hopefully the steering will be stiffer once sorted!

• Like 1

Managed a little bit of TT work between private jobs this weekend.

After test fitting the engine, I found the stock TT heatshielding was going to interfere with the turbo coldside and intake pipe. 
The turbo position on the 1.8t points the turbo hotside to the driver side, hence all the heatshielding. The tdi turbo points the opposite way, with the hotside to the passenger side, so the heatshielding isn't needed. This is the before picture:

IMG_1177.thumb.JPG.49dcb8ec33a42ee63dde8

And this is the after. The eagl-eyed amonst you will also notice the power steering line on the driver side has also been fitted, the brake servo vacuum pipe fitted, and the A/C lines swapped (see below):

IMG_1189.thumb.JPG.4a437face095165e76076

The petrol and tdi A/c lines are very slightly different at the ends. This meant the original TT lines don't fit the tdi engine because the angle of the end stops it bolting up. This meant the entire A/C line setup needed to be swapped over.

Tdi A/C pipe connection to engine:

IMG_1178.thumb.JPG.2ab88cfb1dd417243ed56

TT A/C pipe connection to engine:

IMG_1179.thumb.JPG.46a89aff3f69a3a61661c

As you can see, not much of a difference, but it was enough to stop it bolting up.

Whipped the old dead turbo off, and gave the gasket faces a clean up:

IMG_1190.thumb.JPG.f32ee7df429be4e402b22

Also gave the new inlet manifold a bit of a scrub up:

IMG_1191.thumb.JPG.6d928724caab9a4b06ae2

Unfortunately that's all I had time to do. I had bought a turbo on ebay, but the guy decided that he wasn't actually going to send it, and is now ignoring any communication. All covered by Paypal, so will get my money back, but annoying none-the-less!

So when my car isn't broken my girlfriends car is. 57' R56 mini one, 1.6 petrol. It's had the eml popping on and off for a few months now, fault codes diagnosed dead coilpacks on cyl 2+3. Replaced those but it drove the same with the eml occasionally flashing up. Today the eml decided to stay on, two fault codes for the vanos unit having failed.

Its going to an independent garage tomorrow, I'm hoping they're able to removed and clean the vanos solenoid and be done with it but I'm preparing her for possibly needing a new vanos unit. That sort of bill for an out of work uni student deep in her overdraft is likely to write the car off until she's finished uni which should make things interesting :(

Porsche gearbox mounts are £140 for a pair (lowest price I can find). VAG gearbox mounts are £26 for a pair+a little bit of fabrication of a top plate mounting. 

DSC_0178_zpsbvejjnrb.jpg

Quite happy with my little discovery, hopefully I can get the top plate made tomorrow and test them out at the end of the week :) The old mounts are falling apart completely, the gearbox must shift about a fair bit!

• Like 1

Sorry to intrude but I figure I'll get an answer here quicker than RSQ, not exactly car related but it's a 'vehicle' lol.

I've got a moped parked in my parents garage at the moment. Tax'd and MOT'd til this October, no insurance. My CBT and insurance ended earlier this month so I haven't used it since, probably won't use it until April/May. Do I need to SORN the thing?

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification/overview Going by this I have to because I don't have insurance.

• You must make a SORN in any of the following situations:
  • your vehicle isn’t taxed
  • your vehicle isn’t insured (even for a short time, eg there’s a delay renewing your policy)
  • you want to break a vehicle down for parts before you scrap it
  • you buy a vehicle and want to keep it off the road (you can’t transfer a SORN from the previous keeper)

My Dad says I don't have to but I'm not sure. Anyone??