The Car Thread

MadManMike

Well I found terminal rot this evening. The inner sills where they meet the floor are toast in areas on both sides. The inner arches are likely going to need extensive work from the side Ive cut out. The other side doesnt look promising. The outer sills where they meet the body have also started to go. 

How was all this hidden? Filler. Again. 

One day I'll find a good one. 

• Like 1

If they are all that bad then surely you are best off just keeping at it Sam? 

Have any of you used the cheapy 2.5" eBay bi xenon projectors? Dad has HIDs on his larger tractors but wants more focused light as they scatter everywhere because they are tired reflector housings so I suggested fitting projectors in, at £15 a pair they seem a little too good to be true! Bear in mind they will only do field work so legality isn't an issue as he doesn't drive on the road at night and our fields are all linked to the farm.

s-l500.jpg

4 minutes ago, CurtisRider said:

There genuinely are good ones out there, its just luck of the draw finding one. 
I've been in touch with a lad in Wales who has a facelift VTI. Sent me a load of photos including images of inside the rear arches and quarter panels. Looks very very clean. 

For the hours I'll have to put in to fully remedy my current shell to the best of my ability its really not worth it when for £200-300 I can have another thats cleaner and in the colour I want. 

Edited by SamKidney

11 minutes ago, CurtisRider said:

Have any of you used the cheapy 2.5" eBay bi xenon projectors? Dad has HIDs on his larger tractors but wants more focused light as they scatter everywhere because they are tired reflector housings so I suggested fitting projectors in, at £15 a pair they seem a little too good to be true! Bear in mind they will only do field work so legality isn't an issue as he doesn't drive on the road at night and our fields are all linked to the farm.

I seem to recall @george_seamons and @Prawny Baby using something along those lines, they might be able to give some info.

I'd quite like to fit something along these lines to my lights too really - after the originals had many broken tabs, as a lot of Leons seem to have for some reason, I replaced the headlights with some cheap angel eyes which look reasonable enough, but give pretty poor light output. I wonder if fitting a set of these might do the trick?

See also: Boring Leon update imminent. Sorry.

Ok so last update I'd been sorting the adapter plate and whilst it wasn't finished, it was in a fit state to hold the turbo in place on the head to start working out oil and coolant lines, pipework etc.

Turbo held in postition, DP very roughly mocked up but will need finalising once things are in the car so I can make sure it all lines up. There's a short flexi section to fit in there, either before or after the lower 45 degree bend. I'll work that out in the car though, for now it can stay where it is to ensure nothing else gets in the way.

IMG_20160915_115321_HDR_zpso8mbk9g7.jpg

IMG_20160917_124226_HDR_zpsr9dvn3hn.jpg

Picked up an N75 and some suitable hose sections for it, but had to DIY the fittings. No biggy, a few quid and all that's sorted.

IMG_20160917_123823_HDR_zpsslwchdo8.jpg

At this point, I Was getting a little bored of having more parts sat on the shelf than actually installed, so fitted the new thermostat and housing, oil filter housing, cooler, plus a few other minor bits while I was at it. Frees up a little space.

IMG_20160917_132715_HDR_zpsasfpkxbj.jpg

IMG_20160917_134742_HDR_zpshezfaf0r.jpg

I received the grand sum of feck all lines with the turbo, as the guy I bought it off was a complete douche. However, the only one that was included is conveniently the coolant return which should plug pretty much straight in to the 1.8t system.

IMG_20160915_141929_HDR_zpsbgr9bips.jpg

After a fair amount of hunting around online, looking at/comparing other VAG lines (the stock lines don't tend to fit) I found that an oil feed line from a 1.8t Passat looked about right. Found one cheap, tried it out and with a very slight tweak to account for the adapter plate thickness, it's bang on. Note that the bolt you can see here in the top of the CHRA is temporary while I wait for a thread adapter to take the fitting on the end of the feed flexi into the turbo. It's on order, but will take a few days to arrive.

IMG_20160918_105248_HDR_zpsdlbvs2oo.jpg

IMG_20160918_170732_HDR_zpszm1mp9yr.jpg

IMG_20160918_170701_HDR_zpsmurkar0k.jpg

IMG_20160918_170726_HDR_zpsgmm8kox7.jpg

The oil return (turbo to sump) from the k04-023 doesn't fit the k04-064 due to the different mounting location. For the same reason, the TFSI line is also out of the question, so a custom unit needs to be knocked up. I've got a line with suitable flanges en route and a good length of flexi to join the two ends together. There won't be any real pressure through it, so I'm confident that this will do the job just fine but if for any reason it does leak it should be a nice easy one to rectify down the line.

IMG_20160918_170750_HDR_zps3qcj3dn4.jpg

With the above sorted, only the coolant feed remains. I didn't get anything suitable with the turbo, so the options were to do much the same as before and find a stock VAG item to suit, or make another line up. In passing, I called in to a local hydraulic hose supplier where I found the lads inside working on a rather tidy Mk5 Golf. After chatting and lending a hand for a while, I asked for a ballpark quote for a line and they offered me a substantial discount and a great price, so I left with a new braided coolant feed line. Should do the job nicely. Converts the block fitting to suit the 90 degree connector, braided line to a banjo fitting on the CHRA.

IMG_20160919_143718_HDR_zps69dzrvbh.jpg

IMG_20160919_145043_HDR_zpseupc0zkv.jpg

IMG_20160919_145544_HDR_zpsxi4rd565.jpg

Picked up a silicone elbow to take the TIP into the turbo inlet. I've decided to go for some rather substantial tubing so was fairly limited in choice here and budget limited options even further so I've ended up with this one from CM. Not ideal, but I'll keep an eye on it and if there are any issues I can revisit down the line. It'll be shielded a little from the heat so hopefully shouldn't perish too quickly.

IMG_20160917_122110_HDR_zps5e1i9aop.jpg

IMG_20160917_123606_HDR_zpskt21yw9f.jpg

Lots of post arrived this morning. Kittens in charge of quality control approve, though they looked a little concerned at talks of a "decat" situation...

Heatshield material for the bulkhead

IMG_20160920_125445_HDR_zpse7qh5mnx.jpg

IMG_20160920_125544_HDR_zpsd3tj5vox.jpg

IMG_20160920_125757_HDR_zpstcrlactr.jpg

V band and clamp for the DP to decat. The bulk of the exhaust uses slip fittings, which I may band/weld down the line, but for now I'll just be using these as a compact and convenient way to be able to swap in/out a cat section as required.

IMG_20160920_132903_HDR_zpsqnka8dqc.jpg

Nice load of tubing. Pictured are a nice section of stainless to produce a decat, some alu line for the charge pipe and more for the TIP.

IMG_20160920_133525_HDR_zpstbkpzup4.jpg

IMG_20160920_133907_HDR_zpspsuffz0o.jpg

IMG_20160920_134024_HDR_zpsob4ql5rt.jpg

Will need to trim both ends and figure out the final placement of the bends and filter etc, but this will do for now to let me work out supporting mounts, any take offs (DV line etc) and MAF boss which I'm planning to integrate into the metal tubing, removing the need for a seperate plastic fitting.

IMG_20160920_185926_HDR_zpsgfix0tpj.jpg

Also made up a small blanking plate for the turbo inlet. As standard, the TFSI units have a short vent line from the valve cover into the turbo. Given the placement of the valve cover ventilation port on the 1.8t I don't think I'll be using this so a simple plate will do for now. It could do with a bit of trimming/shaping, but realistically this is going to be hidden away behind all sorts (block, turbo, lines, heatshield etc) so I'll probably forget to revisit it in all honesty!

IMG_20160920_190303_zpswuputkig.jpg

IMG_20160920_191615_HDR_zpsnqvrtugt.jpg

IMG_20160920_191805_HDR_zpswefn94da.jpg

So that's where things sit as of this evening. Slow progress as always, but it's starting to come together a little more at long last!

IMG_20160920_192116_HDR_zpsmfteoank.jpg

• Like 7

Luke what exactly are you doing? I get that it's a turbo upgrade but unaware of what else.

Mike do you mean the little assister springs? I don't run them and sometimes my springs are a faff to get them seated but not bad enough to be annoying.

I was busy today so only got a door made. I wanted to use T&G but it was expensive and not available locally in treated form so I went with 18mm marine ply and a 5x2 frame instead. The ply was glued to the frame and also nailed for extra security. I also routed a v groove into the ply to make it look like T&G which I think has worked out alright, far better than keeping it plain! I need to decide on locks next but at least it'll be pretty difficult to break.

2016-09-20%2011.04.33_zpsj9hr7ujh.jpg

2016-09-20%2013.38.11-1_zpsg7llplgp.jpg

The grooves had saw dust in after rounding the edge, but you get the idea

2016-09-20%2016.25.23%20HDR_zpsv8fckqn9.

• Like 1

Looking good, Paul.

When I bought the LCR, it was in crap shape. The seller thought the head gasket had gone, though what had actually happened was he'd cracked the radiator, thrown in a load of K-seal type stuff and blocked a load of coolant lines up. This had led to a lot of overheating and in turn a cracked oil cooler which was where the oil/water mix was coming from (and was a nice cheap/easy/quick fix!). Unfortunately, one of the side effects of the shitty system was a bit of light oil starvation and has led to the turbo being a little f**ked. It's been ok to use fairly lightly, but needs replacing really. I considered a like-for-like replacement, then got bored and decided to go down the hybrid route (ie standard housings so bolts straight in, but uprated internals for more flow/power). I had a hybrid unit in the garage, along with a high flow manifold and full turbo back Cobra exhaust ready to fit, but got a little distracted over a pint with Nick last Christmas and decided to scrap that semi-sensible plan and go down the K04-064 route (from the 2.0 TFSI in the later S3/Edition 30 etc). At the same time, either the hybrid or the TFSI blower would have put me in/above the 300bhp region, around which level the torque gets a bit too hit-and-miss for stock rods so I decided to build up a forged lump to drop in at the same time.

In essence, a simple turbo swap has gotten a little out of hand, and I've ended up on a path to silliness on the smallest budget possible, whilst trying to do everything myself too. A lack of time to work on it hasn't helped, and I've had to learn as I go along with not really having anything like a suitable workshop/tools, but I've muddled through. It may well go bang when I (eventually) turn the key, but I've learned a shitload from it so anything else is a bonus (Y)

• Like 2

Not too sure at the moment, though once all the little bits I've ordered arrive I should have most of the stuff I need for it so it'll just be a matter of getting it all assembled and mocking up pipework so I can get it welded up.Need to give everything a good thorough check over as it's been sat a while but then with a few days set aside and an engine crane hired/borrowed I should be good to go. Won't put a timescale on it as it'll likely get pushed back, but I'd like to think sooner rather than later.

Then I just need to figure out how to map the thing :lol:

10 hours ago, CurtisRider said:

s-l500.jpg

10404493_1603900339825141_68378200677452

1920629_1603902229824952_870800837194932

11050661_1603902263158282_65784103077820

11021182_1603902089824966_70147575335692

1510758_1606157249599450_633044701293232

11037893_1606157432932765_25651146766563

11 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Not too sure at the moment, though once all the little bits I've ordered arrive I should have most of the stuff I need for it so it'll just be a matter of getting it all assembled and mocking up pipework so I can get it welded up.Need to give everything a good thorough check over as it's been sat a while but then with a few days set aside and an engine crane hired/borrowed I should be good to go. Won't put a timescale on it as it'll likely get pushed back, but I'd like to think sooner rather than later.

Then I just need to figure out how to map the thing :lol:

Have crane, can borrow.

Have a small bonus coming in my next pay packet so need to come and pick your brain and get a shopping list for all the little bits I'll need for my rebuild. Either that or I get the 3" exhaust and down pipe bits ordered up.

Sounds like yours needs to be finished sooner rather than later, didn't realise your turbo was that bad.... Have you worked out which injectors and pump you're going with? See B5 are now selling a DW65 copy... not sure what it's like.

3 hours ago, craigjames said:

Have crane, can borrow.

Have a small bonus coming in my next pay packet so need to come and pick your brain and get a shopping list for all the little bits I'll need for my rebuild. Either that or I get the 3" exhaust and down pipe bits ordered up.

Sounds like yours needs to be finished sooner rather than later, didn't realise your turbo was that bad.... Have you worked out which injectors and pump you're going with? See B5 are now selling a DW65 copy... not sure what it's like.

Crane = winning, cheers dude. Will likely pinch you as an extra set of hands too if convenient. Obviously the favour will be returned when we do yours too!

We shall have an executive meeting over food and drinks (Terminators and a RatBurger?) to work out a shopping list for you - I'll have to trawl back through some pretty random email chains/saved info/invoices but we'll figure it out!

I think I'm going to go with a set of Siemens Deka 630cc injectors, although I've heard mixed reviews from a couple of places about their performance at low duty cycles so need to read into that a touch more and confirm, particularly since the car will be run mainly in those kind of conditions. Not too sure which pump to go for at present though - I know @Ash-Kennard was having some success with an R8 pump in his car, but will have to look into prices etc as since he became a playboy billionaire he's moved somewhat more upmarket than us!

Few more minor bits done over lunchtime, though nothing too notable. Will wait until I've done something worth actually talking about/something visible and throw up another update (Y)