The Car Thread

MadManMike

Ctrl V. 

After a shocking experience with a cheap inlet pipe, I've learned my lesson and realised never to touch them again.  On the 1.8t VAG stuff I am used to the tolerances could be much higher without any issue. I underestimated the need for a proper fitting pipe on the STI quite hugely! 

I spent a week searching for an intake pipe which wasn't stupidly over priced, still had a slight kink before the turbo and didn't look like it needed loads of trimming to fit under the inlet and still get the recirculation pipe on. 

I was very pleased when I found the TTRacing inlet pipe for under £65 delivered, and having just got it delivered I thought I would share. 

14292379_1788134478068392_41682350534217

I will start stripping back down to fit tonight, but initial thoughts are very promising! 

Expect an update of how the fitting went over the weekend :)

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

Those door cars do look spiffy. What are they made out of?  Any plans to cover the mirror bit?

Cheers, I had to google define that word as I wasn't sure what it meant. 

Im not sure, it's like a really bendy plastic. But it's solid once it's on. I'll ask the guy as i'm wanting rears to finish it off.

Funny you mention the mirror bit, they had caps on them but I removed them haha because racekorrrrrr

Should have a pretty decent update tonight as i've got my dash to go on - all the switches are spaded up and labelled. then will be onto the next task of moving the fuse box a bit as it hangs low and allows you to see the loom.

• Like 1

Since we're on the topic of welding.. 

Making a final push on finishing my shell this week. Repaired the floor to remedy some rust I found when removing the sound proofing, and my other arch repair panel should be here tomorrow to give the chance to get both sides done. Then its the arduous task of rubbing it all down and cracking the filler out before it goes away for paint at the end of the month. 

Really wanting to get it all done and get the suspension sorted before the end of October so I can divert my attention to building its new engine over the winter months ready for the new season next year. Was going to blast round Cadwell on the 24th with my current engine but I've sold my time on now as realistically it wont be done in time. 

Settled on a piston/rod/head combo for the B20 that should see a compression ratio of around 12:1. Add some good cams and Im sound for making power to 230bhp N/A at max rpm of 8400rpm. Nice.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Sounds good, should go well in a light little car!

Should rip along fairly well! 

The classic issues with Hondas of old is the lack of torque despite the good hp output for the displacement. 
The 2.0L bottom end resolves that. From the graphs Ive seen they hold their torque curves right up to the redline too so fingers crossed it should pull hard all the way through without it dropping off too drastically. Opting for either a Civic Type R (S4C) LSD gearbox or the Integra Type R (S80) LSD box to keep nice close ratios.. top speed isnt my objective but getting it up to speed quickly is! 

I've chosen to go for 12:1 as it remains fairly dailyable should I need to use it for such a purpose, while running safely on a premium pump fuel. I could go on Ethanol but for the money it'll cost me in fuel pumps and the supporting modifications I see no reason. 

Im aiming to have the complete car weighed in at a target weight of between 800-900kg which gives around 280bhp per ton. 

Edited by SamKidney

On 9/5/2016 at 11:24 AM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Always wanted to do a 'start from the back and charge through' race, so with sharing / borrowing the car I got to do it yesterday. The other driver did qualifying, so I didn't have a time, hence starting at the back... Much fun :D

Not a bad effort....

1 hour ago, Danny said:

I was quite disappointed by Jay Leno in that video. He said a couple of stupid things (like calling the intercooler a radiator).  I thought he knew everything about cars.

Oh he seems to have a very good working knowledge of everything & yet is bit of a master of none. He says stupid brain-falling-out-of-mouth things in these type of vids quite often actually, like he's not actually listening to the conversation - yer man just told him there's no rad, but an ice box with the braided lines and everything and he replies with "oh yeah I remember people doing that with fuel" ...and when time comes it clearly didn't go much past the ears, basically I guess he just slips in to talk show mode. His restoration blogs (as he calls them) and the walkarounds of his own stuff show his knowledge a fair bit more.

Edited by CC12345678910

Turbo conversion update:

So where did I get to?

Received my adapter plates and DP flanges back from the water jet/laser cutters respectively. Flanges are really nicely done, though adapters haven't been cut all that well so will need a bit of tidying up but nothing too mental.

IMG_20160904_200235_zpsxyunqd1a.jpg

All lines up fairly well given how crudely I drew them up - easy enough to make a small tweak if I ever need another but more than adequate by the time I've port matched things. All bolts up pretty nicely - Lower brackets sitting in place with m6 bolts as studs, but will be tapped to correct M8 size shortly... Given I plucked the external dimensions out of thin air, the adapter is almost perfect to the thou - might actually have to take a smidge off the top to allow room for thermal expansion in fairness.

IMG_20160911_164826_HDR_zpsgqbrlkx7.jpg

IMG_20160911_164334_HDR_zpstfgv5ga1.jpg

IMG_20160912_174306_zpsx6pif0f0.jpg

Turbo just sat there loosely, as the plate isn't currently tapped out (and still needs countersinking)

IMG_20160911_165017_HDR_zpsaa56lh73.jpg

Will need to knock up a turbo support bracket as the stock k04-023 one obviously doesn't fit. Shall pick up some 2/3mm steel and get something thrown together soon.

IMG_20160911_165530_HDR_zpsizyiijki.jpg

DP very crudely stuck together as a completely rough ballpark. Without cutting things line up with the flywheel end of the block, which I'm fairly sure wil be too far out. Shall get under the car and take some reference measurements so I can get things centralised properly.

IMG_20160911_165858_HDR_zpso0cqhrtp.jpg

Believe this is only a breather which normally runs to the valve cover - can anyone confirm? Should be fine to blank it off if so, and run crank case and valve cover breathers further toward the filter end of the TIP.

IMG_20160911_170012_HDR_zpshxfvbrpg.jpg

Popped over to visit the grandparents this morning, ventured into the cave to find a suitable ~6.8mm drill to clean up the adapter ready to tap out to M8. Annoyingly I only had a 6.5 or 7mm bit, which wasn't going to cut it. A bit of hunting later, I'd found a 17/64" (which works out to be just shy of 6.75mm, which will do nicely)

IMG_20160912_132800_HDR_zps8jx54tgo.jpg

IMG_20160912_132806_HDR_zpsrplupozs.jpg

Also found this beauty (awful photo, my bad!). 1924 Black & Decker drill, putting out arm-breaking torque (or so I'm reliably told from experience...)

IMG_20160912_132932_HDR_zps8j5ipzwv.jpg

Tapped out the plate. Will need to do the top row of (not yet drilled) angled studs too, but need to get them drilled first. Couldn't get them done via water due to the change in plane - will get those done when I sort out the countersinking.

IMG_20160912_134435_HDR_zpsvunkwblw.jpg

IMG_20160912_142905_zpsdacaevko.jpg

Clocked the turbo slightly, now sitting where it should for inlet angles etc. That's pretty much where it lies at present. Hopefully get a little more done tomorrow eve if I can find the time.

IMG_20160912_174319_HDR_zpsy6ywmpjq.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome stuff Luke. Love stuff like that.

For what its worth and for new time, 6.5mm would have been fine as it would be very unlikely the final hole would have been 6.5mm, usually slightly larger anyway due to the tolerance, well, of a human haha. Nice to see it being done right though. 

6 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

Awesome stuff Luke. Love stuff like that.

For what its worth and for new time, 6.5mm would have been fine as it would be very unlikely the final hole would have been 6.5mm, usually slightly larger anyway due to the tolerance, well, of a human haha. Nice to see it being done right though. 

Cheers man! I love all this shit as my boring as f**k replies probably show - fabricating shit and all the attention-to-detail bits give me a semi.

Unfortunately the water cutting was done fairly badly (as @RobinJI will confirm) and everything had been cut with a bit of a taper and a poor finish. Main bores will be reamed and port matched anyway so it's no biggy and running a drill through the smaller holes isn't the end of the world either.

6.75mm was relatively tight with a blunt old tap. I only had a plug not a tapered tap, but the grandfather had an old, slightly rusty tapered tap. Ran it across a wire wheel to clean up the worst of it but still fairly tough going - typically, I found a near new, barely used tapered tap after spending forever on the second hole and breezed the rest :rolleyes:

• Like 3