The Car Thread

MadManMike

I'm going to hazard a guess that you're talking about the plastic shimming that sits between the top of the strut / underside  top mount and the spring; it will allow the spring to slide and twist on the mountings whilst reducing suspension noise.  As they compress, coil springs both expand in diameter and twist along their length, if there is additional friction at the ends of the spring then it could affect the action of the spring.  Whether or not this is noticeable in your application I couldn't say :)

I received two sheets of 22 gauge steel today. Just going to take my time and rebuild this shell bit by bit when time permits. Time doesn't cost anything and I'll end up with a tidy rust free shell, and be able to buy a few nice bits and bobs along the way. Makes it worth doing I suppose 

• Like 3

Sounds good man - seems like you could easily spend forever chasing your tail finding rust, replacing the shell only to find the new one has the same issue. That said, I do like the Integra shape. Make sure you post up lots of photos (Y)

Incidentally I picked up some similar steel today, albeit a far smaller sheet that I intend to turn into a heatshield rather than body panels.

@craigjames - Just got myself a set of 630s. 

• Like 1

The Integra is extremely tempting and providing I can blag a space to store it that may still be on the cards. Was previously K20 swapped so that would make for an interesting long term project with how easily it would accept another... I cant own 3 Hondas at once. (Have to keep reminding myself) 

Thankfully its not the panels for the Civic I'll have to fabricate. Its the sill edges where they meet the floor and fabricating sections of the rear inner arches that will be the most time consuming part. This one is a bit further gone than say, another one may be (which would make my life easier) but it means all the usual areas have been treated correctly. 

Theres only one way to remove rust and thats cut it out and replace with new. Hiding it with filler and fiberglass is a no no from me. 

The floor is sound, I already have a brand spanker slam pannel and lower cross-member to go on that Id bought a good while back and both rear arch panels. 
The N/S is cut out and the replacement cut accordingly. Just got to get my head round making up the inner arch section! 

Plenty of photos for sure.

Two Civics, a Yaris T sport and a potential Integra. Running out of places to abandon them.. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Sounds good man - seems like you could easily spend forever chasing your tail finding rust, replacing the shell only to find the new one has the same issue. That said, I do like the Integra shape. Make sure you post up lots of photos (Y)

Incidentally I picked up some similar steel today, albeit a far smaller sheet that I intend to turn into a heatshield rather than body panels.

@craigjames - Just got myself a set of 630s. 

Dekas?

14 hours ago, SamKidney said:

I cant own 3 Hondas at once. (Have to keep reminding myself)

Buy it and figure it out later. I own 12 jukeboxes now and they're all over the place haha. In-laws garage has 3, dads garage has 2, 2 in my living room, 4 in my unit and 1 at my dads business under sheets. Nobody knows about the other 3 I've got on freight from America yet either lol.

• Like 5

On 20/09/2016 at 10:41 PM, CurtisRider said:

2016-09-20%2011.04.33_zpsj9hr7ujh.jpg

The grooves had saw dust in after rounding the edge, but you get the idea

2016-09-20%2016.25.23%20HDR_zpsv8fckqn9.

Nice work man, I would go for a ERA Fortress sash lock and decent handle with a pair of OVAL cylinder dead locks with guards on (keyed alike), tempted to put in a pair of hinge side bolts in to. Pretty much got to kick it down to get in. 

Couldn't help myself :P

Edited by Paperclip

Cheers for the heads up :) I have the Yale equivalent to the ERA, still deciding on a handle ( I know...). Where would I get matched dead locks from? That would be ideal! Hinge side bolts are a new one to me, I was actually looking at making something similar so thank you!

I spent quite a long time today getting the door frame finished, lots and lots of routing out to cover the door hinges as they are a difficult profile to match! I think it's turned out fine though, fits tight and flush although aesthetically I'm not won over by my solution for the angled bit above the door... perhaps a light up there will break up the weird chunky look! it functions fine and that's really all I should be worrying about.

The door frame has been reinforced with steel to make it that little bit harder to break into, I'm looking forward to fitting the locks and handle, it'll look more complete then.

2016-09-22%2015.58.29_zpsma01clqf.jpg

2016-09-22%2018.59.52_zpssnrjfzmz.jpg

2016-09-22%2018.59.36_zps92mijrk1.jpg

43 minutes ago, CurtisRider said:

Cheers for the heads up :) I have the Yale equivalent to the ERA, still deciding on a handle ( I know...). Where would I get matched dead locks from? That would be ideal! Hinge side bolts are a new one to me, I was actually looking at making something similar so thank you!

I spent quite a long time today getting the door frame finished, lots and lots of routing out to cover the door hinges as they are a difficult profile to match! I think it's turned out fine though, fits tight and flush although aesthetically I'm not won over by my solution for the angled bit above the door... perhaps a light up there will break up the weird chunky look! it functions fine and that's really all I should be worrying about.

The door frame has been reinforced with steel to make it that little bit harder to break into, I'm looking forward to fitting the locks and handle, it'll look more complete then.

2016-09-22%2015.58.29_zpsma01clqf.jpg

Hinge side bolts do a pretty good job, its just easy to fit extra security.  

You could just go buy a pair of normal dead locks to fit and get them keyed alike something like Yale, ERA or Union are all okay. 

I would say get a pair of Euro sash locks BS, coupled with a pair of anti snap barrels (any really will do, UPA or Securit are cheap and cheerful) and a pair of Cylinder guards. 

You're probably talking £65. 

It's a visual deterrent, it looks bad ass, it gives you two keys to have to get in which would put off anyone trying to break in. Stronger locks and what not.  

You will have to measure your door though to check the barrel size and probably set the lock to suit the barrel but that's the same for the yale key to. Maybe you'll not be able to lock yourself in :P 

EDIT: Ironmongers/ hardware places best bet, SKS catalogue also with next day delivery is all good.  

Edited by Paperclip

14468171_10157436179870587_1970498115266

LOL:

14444804_10157436180855587_8553481669095

14468581_10157436180945587_3354008096258

Standard MX-5 procedure:

14444687_10157436183035587_1681406599195

Did my finest impression of G:

14380008_10157436183140587_4809375213956

14425451_10157436183710587_7889390067494

Fitted a new wing and dropped the car down, to find it sits like this:

14424831_10157436183735587_4723734570425

It'll be raised a bit soon as it's too low, but my god it sticks!

Nailed it around a tight corner at 30 and it was amazing. Once it lets go it's not as forgiving as it used to be, but I'm incredibly happy with it now.

Can't wait to go on track with it!

• Like 1