Just Finished My New Handmade Stainless Steel Trials Bike.

IOLO

So about 6 years ago I ran a company for a year. Called iolobikes.com

I taught myself how to build trials frames. and had no machinery at all, i made my own Jig

and fillet brazed all my frames.

through a random series of events and adventures I ended up working as a bike builder in canada for a couple of years.

I have learnt to Tig weld too. and built quite a few bikes since the iolobikes days, some road bikes and a couple of dirt jump frames.

so anyway this is my first trials frame for 6 years.

I made it from a new type of stainless steel that we have been using for about a year on road bikes.

its not like the reynolds stainless, that stuff was super brittle and not so fun the work with. this stuff is strange, its strong as hell, but if you really try and bend it, it will do so without cracking. also discovered you can squeeze a tube to half its size, and when released it goes right back to how it was.

so stainless steel trials frame... YES, and as soon as they released some bigger dia tubes I ordered them .

geo

1045 wheelbase

380 ish chainstays (18t - 15t)

73deg head angle

25mm BB rise

weight 1650 grams / 3.6 lbs (including dropout inserts and bolts)

post-614-0-65051000-1350882291_thumb.jpg

click link to see album !

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151293586271081&set=a.10151293585591081.513165.718806080&type=1&theater

please let me know what you think.

thanks

Aran.

• Like 3

Looks great, hose routing is superb! Looks so clean as well, hope to be doing something like this myself soon too! Just started an apprenticeship and been given permission to use the work shop, when ever I want, all I need is a jig and some tubes!

Good job though (Y)

Fancy making up another one? Would definitely love to have one of these in my life! Get in contact if you do, am without doubt in for this!

Got a few nifty ideas I would love to see on a bike too, so if you feel a bit a bit experimental, let me know!

James

I can't imagine something like that would be cheap!!

But it would be a one of the kind sexy mo-fo! Plus, being steel it would last a long time, and take a lot of abuse. Knowing my history, an investment into a frame that is going take my riding is a worthwhile one!

See what happens, but definitely want one! If not, may have to go to Marino. Would be great to have a Uk made frame, that I can help make my own, and input throughout the build process!

Hey ho!

I can wish! haha

You just need to stop buying pre-f**ked rigs, you're not some kind of bike destroying machine dude haha.

JAF bikes.

Hmm, you make a very good point!

You just need to stop buying pre-f**ked rigs, you're not some kind of bike destroying machine dude haha.

Not always pre-f**ked.. my pretty much brand new Inspired is already starting to piss me off! It's more about the luck I have when riding that causes breakages!

Awesome! I love the finish on it too!

Any thoughts on rear disk tabs? ?

yea, it doesnt have one because i wanted rear magura or brakeless setup.

on my hardtail i made a simple sliding disk mount bridged a small tube from chainstay to seatstay.

aran