The Angry Thread.

Blake

• 2 weeks later...

People don’t seem to understand the rules of cricket. Three former international cricket captains, and one of the greatest bowlers of all time - paid to do commentary - don’t understand one of the most fundamental laws of the game. 

crazy pills

• Like 1

5 hours ago, manuel said:

People don’t seem to understand the rules of cricket. Three former international cricket captains, and one of the greatest bowlers of all time - paid to do commentary - don’t understand one of the most fundamental laws of the game. 

crazy pills

He's obviously grounded the ball, I don't see what they're arguing about? It's a bit like the stick they gave Robinson after his celebration for bowling Khawaja out, have they forgotten the previous 30 years and the abuse their players used to dish out?!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Only just found out on Friday that in the good ol' US of A they use the word 'mil' (which we in the sensible parts of the word use as an abbreviation for millimetre) for a thousandth of an inch (rather than 'thou' which would make SENSE!!). I don't know who started that or whose fault that is but it's unbelievable and just makes me mad!

• Haha 3

On 9/25/2023 at 4:53 AM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Only just found out on Friday that in the good ol' US of A they use the word 'mil' (which we in the sensible parts of the word use as an abbreviation for millimetre) for a thousandth of an inch (rather than 'thou' which would make SENSE!!). I don't know who started that or whose fault that is but it's unbelievable and just makes me mad!

I've ran into this, I've only ever seen it used for trash bag thickness. I assumed it was millimeter too until I realized the numbers didn't make any sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

yeah - they decided that they needed the hours to be more seasonal, so for 15 weeks ish from sept we worked an extra 24minutes a day (colder more brutal conditions heavier bags etc...) with the agreement that they would be given back in the summer/when the workload dictated.

cut to now - they are giving them back 24 minutes a day shorter - but what ho - without 24minutes, three of the 6 days are now under 7hrs, so you can only have a 30min break instead of a 40minute one. So they've pinched 30mins a week of actual work for 15ish weeks from us, which works out around a day. BS. Such a shoddy way to treat your staff. 

It’s ok, I can handle myself with these things, it’s the fact they are always trying to shaft all of ithe employees (often by stealth) and not everyone would maybe even realise or feel like they should stand up to it. It’s so unnecessary and creates so much mistrust and bad feeling and most of the time lowers productivity overall.

in other news it looks like deliberately failing to deliver the post for a year has paid off and they are going to get to axe mon-sat postal deliveries. So probably redundancy and or just shitter contracts incoming. 

• 2 weeks later...

@manuel Just seems like there is a domino/knock-on effect from previous/recent UK/international/global events that has triggered businesses to make more drastic operation costs to save money. Similar cost-cutting measures at my workplace..... working 2 shifts per week as opposed to 5. They have also stopped Overtime for everyone in the warehouse...

This might become worthy of a separate thread of how the cost of living crisis in 2024 has effected everyone here.

4 minutes ago, Rusevelt said:

Similar cost-cutting measures at my workplace..... working 2 shifts per week as opposed to 5. They have also stopped Overtime for everyone in the warehouse...

Not wanting to say that isn't shit for you guys, but just wanted to point out that reducing hours or preventing extra hours are very different things to actively stealing back money from your employees' paycheck, and even more so when clearly trying to hide the fact they're doing it.

• Like 2

@aener point taken, was just making a general observation of what @manuel stated and the timing of other events. It clearly pays to look the behind the scenes facts as opposed to making a general observation of things and trying to look for a connection.

Obviously the RM scandal has clearly opened a can of worms in terms of unprecedented exploitation which is nothing new historically. It just becomes a big thing when it reaches the public domain.

I don't know whether to laugh or rage at Tory MP George Freeman, who quit his £118k ministerial role because he can't afford his 2K per month mortgage replacements. 

Edited by Rusevelt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 1:45 PM, Rusevelt said:

not that anything Chancellor Jeremy Hunt just announced made any actually difference to our lives when it comes to cost of living...

It did, actually!

I can start claiming child benefit again - I had to pay back £1,300 in January and I have probably another £900 to pay back, but as of April I can claim it again!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, even at relatively slow speeds that sort of mass is a HUGE amount of momentum.

Bear in mind that structures like bridges are, to a point, built to be as light as possible for a given purpose. Yeah ok, there are safety factors involved that increase the bulk somewhat, but generally speaking they're not going to be using more material than legislation requires them to. As such, you have a structure built to do the job for normal use, but external factors like A MASSIVE LADEN SHIP DRIVING STRAIGHT INTO IT tend to be outside of the design parameters.

It's hard to imagine quite how much force there was from what is a seemingly slow crash, but that mass is the critical part. I've seen a figure of approx 8kts impact speed, which is around 15kph. Using the 120,000,000kg you mention, Mike, that's like a fully laden artic lorry crashing into the support at something like 38,000kph. That's faster than the escape velocity of the Space Shuttle, and about twice the orbit velocity of the ISS for some context.

• Like 1