The Angry Thread.

Blake

20 hours ago, aener said:

Our ISP is Virgin.
£24/month for the past two years as an entry deal.
They just sent a message saying "your time's up, as of next month you're paying £47.50/month for the same service."
Quick look online at prices for ammo.
Ring up and state "No, if you don't sort it we're more than happy to leave you for a rival."
They immediately reduce the new price to £25/month.

A few years ago I would've been far too scared to ring up and complain, so would've gotten shafted.
There's so many people out there that wouldn't want to, know to, or be able to make that call.

I f**king loathe this culture we live in.
The meek get shit on from every direction whilst the arrogant get rewarded.
I despise that I've learned to be one of them in instances like this, but I also can't afford not to.

This sort of bullshit is why I've been with Plusnet for 6 years. After the initial 18 month thing ran out, they price stayed roughly the same and always has. No extended contract, no messing about.

It's actually got a bit cheaper over the years and it's still their top package.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Muel said:

This sort of bullshit is why I've been with Plusnet for 6 years. After the initial 18 month thing ran out, they price stayed roughly the same and always has. No extended contract, no messing about.

It's actually got a bit cheaper over the years and it's still their top package.

I've been with Plusnet for 7 years for exactly the same reason. Good value for money, good customer service and a good product. Only looking else where as I can now get full fibre at our new address.

• Like 1

All this BS TV marketing push to get customers onto 5G when they only just installed the 5G masts around various parts of London only a few months ago. Don't even know if these masts are operating 4G/5G at this point in time.

You can't even get reliable 4G coverage internally or externally nowadays as almost as if the bandwidth is being deliberately reduced or lowered to force customers to spend more money on next gen 4G/5G devices or services, just like the transition years with 3G to 4G. 

On 11/12/2022 at 12:17 PM, craigjames said:

I've been with Plusnet for 7 years for exactly the same reason. Good value for money, good customer service and a good product. Only looking else where as I can now get full fibre at our new address.

I wont be looking elsewhere, Plusnet now do full fibre to the home. Which as you don't need a landline works out the same sort of price for 5x faster speeds than i'm currently getting. Bit of a no brainer really :)

• 4 weeks later...

What a bunch of cunts.

I'm all for saving the planet and finding better ways to fuel our lives but pissing off the general public is never going to bring about change. All the protests on the M25 stopping people getting to work or the airport or whatever, blocking roads in London stopping people from picking up their kids from school or visiting relatives in hospital is never ever going to bring you the respect and support of the public and does nothing to force the hand of the government, petrochemical firms etc. See my first sentence...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Covid's brought me to the angry thread on Christmas eve...

I'd had a flu a few weeks ago and on 13 December I started isolating to be on the safe side, just didn't seem fair to go into the office if I didn't need to and risk getting people sick before Christmas. I've been fine the past week and came home for Christmas not thinking much of it, was going to go out with some friends a few days ago and did a test to be on the safe side and got the positive result, so I've been hiding away in a bedroom and wearing a mask in the house. My family are angry at me for being OCD about covid and are reminding me legally I don't have to do anything, but I just can't shake the idea that if I know I have it I should isolate before I get a few negative tests back. Obviously don't want to spend time with my parents because they're getting on a bit now, but they're angry with me for not joining them downstairs. 

Waiting for a fight through a door tomorrow about not wanting to join them for Christmas dinner... I don't think I'm being over the top about it but I think I'm just fatigued on the moral scrupples of the last few years.

Some shitty cat or fox has chewed through my Ethernet cable to the shed. 
66605E4A-0E5B-4FCA-B22A-47931D7D451A.thumb.jpeg.b9030ceaf1ae0cf330781575eee19d78.jpeg

it’s pretty sturdy casing. 

anyone got any good ideas on joining cat6 and still maintaining gigabit? Running new would be such a huge job I can’t really contemplate…

On 12/31/2022 at 5:38 PM, manuel said:

Some shitty cat or fox has chewed through my Ethernet cable to the shed. 
66605E4A-0E5B-4FCA-B22A-47931D7D451A.thumb.jpeg.b9030ceaf1ae0cf330781575eee19d78.jpeg

it’s pretty sturdy casing. 

anyone got any good ideas on joining cat6 and still maintaining gigabit? Running new would be such a huge job I can’t really contemplate…

How come the cat gets to be shitty but the fox gets away scott free?  Could also have been rats :)

Have you got a cable fish, make pulling a new one through easier.

I would have though if the ends are terminated correctly you should be able to joint it, might need to put a junction box in though to keep it all clean and dry.

Yeah the fox would deffo be shitty. don't think its rats just because of location and bite size/shape.

unfortunately the way it comes up into the building means it would be impossible to change the section in the shed (silly me...)

The ends should be terminated pretty well at the socket. 

Im thinking something like this and yeah probably in a ip box on the wall. 

Its a bit of a do I, don't I, as one is intact giving gigabit, but to fix the other line id have to cut the remaining one so if I don't get gigabit after it would be pretty annoying!

11 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Yep, that's what we thought was our problem, and what we paid to have done. They have replaced it in fairness, they just appear to have done a shit job of it. £200 is a bargain compared to what we paid. Hope it works out for you!

EDIT: As of yesterday, we now have paint damage on our bedroom wall in the middle of where the chimney stack goes. Not really sure what they've done up there, but nothing good.

They've come to look again this morning and it's changed to £300-350 now, since they can see more (It was dark last night).

I think it is the flashing, it looks like a right mess up there. There's also three tiles that have moved and a drainpipe that could do with moving a bit.

They've said the felt may need replacing but they don't know that until they start lifting tiles.

I reckon it'll end up close to a grand, as it's all the original mid-90's stuff that probably is due to be replaced.

What's the craic with your guys? Are they coming back to sort it?

Ooof. Major headache man :(

I'm really hoping my guys don't turn out like this, I definitely have trust issues with tradesmen, for this reason.

Sounds like a 0% credit card and new roof is the way to go, probably easier than continually paying out close to a grand to have it patched up - that's the route I'd take anyway.

Well, the blokes have gone and I owe them £350. Is the roof fixed? Who knows.

Apparently they moved some tiles, cleaned the moss away because it was growing and creating gaps and they sorted the existing flashing by re-sealing it.

Two leaks at the front and one at the back.

We'll find out when it rains again...

Well I'm sure you've all been on the edge of your seats waiting for this update:

A good 14 hours of rain (Sorry Mark!) and our ceilings have stayed dry (Sorry Mark!). It seems my cheap-guy-off-Facebook gamble paid off (Sorry Mark!).

Unfortunately though, the cat needs a trip to the vets and my hot water is playing up again. Also just got our quarterly electric bill, up from something like £130 to £500.

With Sheryl off on maternity and now earning basically zero, that means I'm covering everything - broken roof, broken heating, broken cat and massively increased bills and food costs.

The next five months are going to be credit card heavy and a real struggle.

Glad to hear you got your roof sorted Mike, although sorry to hear about the other stuff! Hope you guys can find a way through it all.

We have some fun new wet patches in places we didn't before those cowboys came round to f**k with our chimney, so that's nice.

My sister and her partner came round to take a look at it - they're both architects and have done building condition assessment reports and stuff like that so know what they're talking about. They worked out what the issue was, why the roofers did what they did (they were dogshit) and what we can do about it. It sounds like realistically getting the chimney removed is the way to go. The rest of the roof is fine, despite being pretty old at this point. It hasn't been replaced since the house was built in the early 60's, although it's had more felt added to it some time after 1980 or so. It means that we don't necessarily need to lash out all the cash for a full new roof, so can just get our pants pulled down for removing the external section of the chimney instead. 

Now we've just got to find a roofer who will actually return our calls/messages and want to do it...

Any idea what it'll cost to get the chimney removed?

Good news that it can be 'patched up' rather than fully replaced.

I had the same thing with local roofers, that's why I went with a random Facebook handyman - I guess with all the bad weather lately, the roofers are flat out.

With this being a bit more involved, and with how burned we got on the last one which was essentially a handyman who knew some people, I think we're going to opt for the 'proper' roofers this time.

We've only had one quote so far which was £1250, but to be fair in comparison to how much we paid to have the lead work done that's a bargain. Everybody else either isn't replying or is replying to say they're swamped so can't do anything for now. The reviews for the roofer who gave us a quote were really good, so in the seemingly more likely event we do go for him hopefully it'll work out OK.

• 2 months later...

Not "angry" as such, but fook me, wedding suit shopping is literally impossible.

You either need a party of big & tall, or a party of short & skinny.

Abandoning the idea of suits now, since I've trawled three cities and every website. At least I think I have, feel free to rescue me.

Are you hiring/renting or buying them?

If it's hiring: ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

If you're buying, I found that getting bits from different places worked out easier than trying to get one complete setup from one outlet. Unless you're going baller and going made-to-measure, something from a complete set is going to fit like shit. I can't remember the full list of places we ended up getting stuff from, but I know there was something from Moss Bros, something from M&S and something from a totally random other one - may even have been somewhere odd like Matalan... The good thing about that is you'll probably get a better variety of sizes and fits for each item. Takes more legwork to make it happen, but I found it was worth it to wear things I felt somewhat comfortable in.

Well we were looking at buying, since you can hire for £125 or buy for about £175... makes sense to pay a bit extra and everyone has a suit to keep after the wedding.

We've found a place that will make trousers to whatever size you like for about £90 a pair, so I think we're going to do that and then just white shirts and braces. It's in August, so in theory should be too hot for jackets anyway. I'll probably have a waistcoat just to look that slight bit more pimp than the others.

I looked at doing mix & match as you suggested and the problem is stock levels - you find something nice and it's only in two sizes, so the shop either doesn't do a wide enough range or they do but they have no stock.

Pro-tip: if you're getting married, only make friends with people the same size as you.