The Happy Thread

Duncy H

People slag off this forum saying it's full of argumentative wankers but I think it's awesome. Met some quality lads thanks to coming on here and there's many more I plan to meet up with in the future, also had the chance to help people out with stuff and find people are willing to do the same in return. TF for life. Also anyone who disagrees with my statement will be banned, another perk :rockon:
Yes dave. Nice to meet you as well. Although you do live a proper country mile away form any decent main road lol
  • Like 1

My dad who's 76 this year just bought himself a toy :dance:

dsc03339c.jpg

It's massive, wing span is almost my height and it will apparently carry a GoPro with ease. Sadly both him and I have a lot of work today so no time to build it up yet.

Holy shit...

is that not unsafe?

Naw man, I need to work at it so it becomes easy!

I love it when that happens, when you're first learning a song and you're so pissed off wondering how anyone in the world can play it, then a few weeks later you're doing it without looking. Best feeling.

In addition to the two barn owls I see at work either in the early hours or at dusk there's now a buzzard knocking about quite a bit. Just sits on a fence post on the banking on the other side of the track, gonna have to half inch my sister in laws camera I reckon and start to get some shots of it when it's hunting.

In addition to the two barn owls I see at work either in the early hours or at dusk there's now a buzzard knocking about quite a bit. Just sits on a fence post on the banking on the other side of the track, gonna have to half inch my sister in laws camera I reckon and start to get some shots of it when it's hunting.

You have such an interesting work :P

My dad who's 76 this year just bought himself a toy :dance:

dsc03339c.jpg

Youll have loads of fun with that! Make sure you get the balance correct, it wants to be ever so slightly nose heavy from the specified balancing points with an empty fuel tank. Just means it still has the correct characteristics when the fuel gets low and it wont want to point its nose skyward.

What engines been supplied with it? Looks like an O.S 0.46 4 stroke if thats the carb on the rear. Very good reliable little engines.

Ive built 3 now, and it can get very addictive.

Should be back into it myself soon, starting my scratch build Meserschmitt Me 110 soon (Hopefully).

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Had literally the best night ever last night. Lost my phone in a club, found my phone in the club in a minibus kinda thing. So relieved. And had just one of those moments where you realise how amazing your friends are especially as they each had to contribute at carrying me home like a baby. so so goooood

Youll have loads of fun with that! Make sure you get the balance correct, it wants to be ever so slightly nose heavy from the specified balancing points with an empty fuel tank. Just means it still has the correct characteristics when the fuel gets low and it wont want to point its nose skyward.

What engines been supplied with it? Looks like an O.S 0.46 4 stroke if thats the carb on the rear. Very good reliable little engines.

Ive built 3 now, and it can get very addictive.

Should be back into it myself soon, starting my scratch build Meserschmitt Me 110 soon (Hopefully).

Cheers! It's nose heavy anyway, centre of balance is roughly at 1/3rd of the wing with an empty tank. I'm sure my dad will cope with setting it up properly, when he was young he used to build his own planes and take part in competitions. He was even offered a job at some aeronautical company despite his degree being in diesel engines.

The engine is a 2 stroke as far as I can tell, there's a compression stroke every rotation. I think it's an 0.40. We could already fly it once we do all the checks but we don't have the fuel and the model shop didn't have any either since the "season" hasn't yet started. Need to google this, I'm sure you can make the fuel yourself. Also no idea on how to fill the fuel tank, there's one hose going to the muffler and one to the "carb". No fuel filler cap or anything :P

Where would one put a GoPro on one of these things and where should the aerial be?

dsc03346ea.jpg

Edited by Greetings

Cheers! It's nose heavy anyway, centre of balance is roughly at 1/3rd of the wing with an empty tank. I'm sure my dad will cope with setting it up properly, when he was young he used to build his own planes and take part in competitions. He was even offered a job at some aeronautical company despite his degree being in diesel engines.

The engine is a 2 stroke as far as I can tell, there's a compression stroke every rotation. I think it's an 0.40. We could already fly it once we do all the checks but we don't have the fuel and the model shop didn't have any either since the "season" hasn't yet started. Need to google this, I'm sure you can make the fuel yourself. Also no idea on how to fill the fuel tank, there's one hose going to the muffler and one to the "carb". No fuel filler cap or anything :P

Where would one put a GoPro on one of these things and where should the aerial be?

dsc03346ea.jpg

Ah! I'd forgotten O.S make their 2 strokes with a rear mounted carb.

As far as filling the tank goes, you'll need a little hand operated pump for that. You fill it via the carb hose using one of the attachments on the pumps hose: http://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/Products/Aircraft/Starting-and-Field-Equipment/Fueling-Accesories-And-Tubing/238-/JP-DELUXE-HAND-FUEL-PUMP

When you fill it make sure that you remove the mufflers hose too, otherwise any overflow will go into the muffler, and in turn flood the engine.

The hose from the muffler provides tank pressurization to force fuel to the carb as there's no on board fuel pump.

Fuel wise I'd recommend running in the engine on a fuel with a lower nitro content and a high castor oil content, and following that period running a fuel with no higher than a 5% nitro content. I've used Model Technics Irvine Sport 5 mix, and its been perfect. Easy starts, and smooth running with a good balance between performance and engine protection.

Gopro wise, Id have it as close as you can get to bang on the balance point so as not to disrupt the balance too much.

Ariel wise, if its running a 2.4Ghz radio system they will be concealed within the fuselage.

Edit: Just run it on the Sport 5 mix from the off, so long as you dont thrash it the engine will bed in nicely with it anyway. Ive got a whole load of tips to help if you need them, many fairly essential. If you want to know anything I'm happy to help :)

Edited by Echo Lite 09