The Happy Thread

Duncy H

Stripped and rebuilt the Rockman this evening.

Brakes all stripped and rebuilt and they feel so quick and smooth it's unreal. Bike rides lovely but I'm undecided on these Coust pads. Sorely tempted to go for something else but I'm unsure.

Stand down on the rotor hunting chaps, just looked at my bike and they seem to be some form of shitty single nut things... Never seen them before, nor did I know they exist.

Waste of money buying the adapters, but at least I don't have the rotors as well...

...and it looks like there's multiple centre lock types.

Shit like this is so annoying. What's wrong with using 6 bolts? Or making everything one type of centre lock?

Waste of time.

There's not. There's Shimano centre-lock and that's it. Shove up a pic if you're not 100% sure…but you can either get a centre-lock disc or get a centre-lock to 6 bolt adapter. DT Swiss make them. Probably cheaper just to get the correct mounting discs. They're about £15 on CRC for standard Shimango ones.

Yeah I've just bought a tool, a post to post adapter and two 180mm discs for £27 off eBay.

Not a fortune, but I was hoping to pay around a tenner for some old ones laying around (Or a little more for the floating Hope ones).

It's just frustrating that someone thought "Oh, 6 bolts are shit, let's change it" - WHY. IT WORKS.

Yeah I've just bought a tool, a post to post adapter and two 180mm discs for £27 off eBay.

Not a fortune, but I was hoping to pay around a tenner for some old ones laying around (Or a little more for the floating Hope ones).

It's just frustrating that someone thought "Oh, 6 bolts are shit, let's change it" - WHY. IT WORKS.

That's a bloody good price though! It is just a cassette tool btw (in case you already had one).

I must admit although nearly all of my bikes have centre-lock hubs now I still don't particularly like them. I get the reason for them, but on the off-chance they do come loose on a ride, there's not many people carrying an adjustable spanner and a cassette tool around with them.

Wood's right though, MTBing is becoming increasingly frustrating with changing standards. 27.5" was just about to settle down and for a brief few months everything seemed calm again, now 'Boost' has come along (the most confusing MTB change to date I reckon) and that'll mean big and very annoying changes for the next model year.

The discs are second hand, so that's mostly why it's a good price.

Yeah I can see that having one nut is a better idea than having six bolts, but as six bolts was standard and you rarely need to take them off / replace the disc, it's not a massive problem and like you say, nobody is going to carry that tool with them on a ride.

I did spot that it's a cassette tool, but that's something I don't own so I guess it'll be handy to have anyway :)

(Google's 'Boost'...)

From Pinkbike:

After all, who wants to find out that the bike that they purchased last week already has technology on it that's no longer the latest and greatest?

How is adding a few mm extra width on hub spacing in any way 'technology' or indeed creating a new 'standard'? That's just pointless.I can kind of see the need to increase the width as wheel diameter increases to improve wheel strength but pretending to introduce new 'standards' which are only muddying the waters and frustrating consumers and I imagine manufacturers alike is just stupid.

Still rocking a 135mm x 12mm and happy :P

Centrelock came first though from what I understand?? Go back in time and you had like hope with a (failed) 5 bolt deal that are now worth sh1t loads of fleabay, and before that was a 4 bolt standard, i think?? I've seen hope hubs and late 90's kings with the centrelock deal that pre date the a unified 6 bolt standard.

(Google's 'Boost'...)

From Pinkbike:

How is adding a few mm extra width on hub spacing in any way 'technology' or indeed creating a new 'standard'? That's just pointless.I can kind of see the need to increase the width as wheel diameter increases to improve wheel strength but pretending to introduce new 'standards' which are only muddying the waters and frustrating consumers and I imagine manufacturers alike is just stupid.

Still rocking a 135mm x 12mm and happy :P

I know, this one is particularly depressing and it IS being adopted as the new standard so most frame manufacturers will be following suit. The particularly annoying thing about Boost is that if effects chain line so new cranksets and bottom brackets are required. I dare say frame BB shells will be widened as well. As bad as that is there will now have to be Boost compatible forks to accommodator the wider front axle so new forks also...

I imagine many spacers will be made to make up the extra few mm, but then that's no different to 135mm wheels with adapters to take them up to 142mm so again, I don't entirely see why it's needed.

It'll make custom builds difficult or someone like me who's just built up a custom bike and may well upgrade the frame next year…. well they'll be no such thing as a straight swap as other than a seat post not much else will be compatible.

Finds PB article

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-announces-new-hub-standards-boost-148-and-110-2015.html

My cynical approach to life says it sounds like another case of scraping the bottom of the "what haven't we done already?" barrel.

Pointless.

Read the comments on that article, all them peeps seem to think so too. I particularly like one comment from someone with a longer memory than most "why do we want 3in tyres they sucked in the 90's, they suck now. Didn't we learn this already??"

Haha, everything in bikes is just a revolving fashion trend. The way Mtb is I feel it really does have the abilty to disappear up it's own gas cloud of marketing BS.

I'll be sticking to my sub £400 26in 130mm hardtail then me thinks - built out of everyone elses cast offs, but proudly using ingenuity not a visa card.

Give it 10yrs, it'll be 'retro' and back in fashion!

Edited by CC12345678910

Ah fantastic, when I upgrade my forks I'll be hit with even more variables. As if there's not enough different axles already.

And steerers...

And don't forget the hubs, and frames...

Yeah the only reason I care is cos I need to know what to avoid compatibility wise when future bargain hunting.

Still don't get whats wrong with whats available already, As someone pointed out on the PB comments,

You buy a complete with all this kit and then you'll be stuck with SRAM corp. stuff for the life of that bike, It's like coca cola putting actual cocaine extract from the coca plant in the original recipe, It guaranteed future sales!

Edited by CC12345678910

And steerers...

And don't forget the hubs, and frames...

Yeah the only reason I care is cos I need to know what to avoid compatibility wise when future bargain hunting.

Still don't get whats wrong with whats available already, As someone pointed out on the PB comments,

You buy a complete with all this kit and then you'll be stuck with SRAM corp. stuff for the life of that bike, It's like coca cola putting actual cocaine extract from the coca plant in the original recipe, It guaranteed future sales!

Not really as most frame manufacturers and wheel manufacturers have adopted Boost as being "TheThing" so everyone will be doing it. A load of BB manufacturers have already got their BB's ready so Sram certainly won't have the monopoly.

Not really as most frame manufacturers and wheel manufacturers have adopted Boost as being "TheThing" so everyone will be doing it. A load of BB manufacturers have already got their BB's ready so Sram certainly won't have the monopoly.

I did only find of it's existence today! I just couldn't put my confidence in something that relies on an entire market to adopt it.

The one that comes to mind I the 25in wheel monty that required the big tyre manufacturers to get in on it, they didn't and the idea failed.

Anyway, does it not smack of the big leaps forward have been done, so now they're just messing?

Edited by CC12345678910

I did only find of it's existence today! I just couldn't put my confidence in something that relies on an entire market to adopt it.

The one that comes to mind I the 25in wheel monty that required the big tyre manufacturers to get in on it, they didn't and the idea failed.

Anyway, does it not smack of the big leaps forward have been done, so now they're just messing?

You couldn't put confidence in something an entire market is adopting?

It is very annoying yes, and I suppose we're at a time when manufacturers are making incremental increases in performance rather than monumental leaps. I'm not sure if this is in some part down to how good things are at the moment. There's lots of very good product out there at the moment at a variety of price points. Shimano's very soon to be released XT 11 speed drivetrain is testament to this, but I wouldn't put things like this down to just messing about. It'll purely be to stimulate the market. Manufacturers need to sell products to keep in business…someone like Sram, they were the first to 11 speed and everyone loves it. Their suspension is now 1st rate and even their recent generation brakes are actually quite good. No company is ever going to just stop progressing but it's frustrating when it means parts are no longer compatible with one another.

One thing I have seen though during the last couple of years where I've ramped up the amount of time MTBing is how whiney MTBers are (trials riders are no different) and whenever anything comes along that's different there's no end to the moaning. As I mentioned earlier, the furore of 27.5" is only just about quietening down, yet I still hear day on day "26 AIN'T DEAD"….and similar such anti-hype mutterings. Largely, it doesn't matter though…if you like your bike and you have fun riding it then stick at it. Who cares what measurement your axle is….if you're happy keep on keepin' on. Just don't moan incessantly that these companies who have brought us such good products could have arrived at this without development and continual tweaking. It's just part and parcel of it.

• Like 1

That's why I'm still rocking 26", 9x1 with 135 x 9mm rear axle, it's worked perfectly for me for the last 18 years so why change now? A stiffer, bolt in rear axle might be nice but would I really notice the difference?

The change to a narrow wide ring I'm all for as it actually is a technological advance over a conventional single ring + guide.

• Like 2

One tooth is thick and the next is thin and so on.....

...to match up with the alternating inner widths of the chain; the tooth profile is generally taller as well. It prevents the chain from sliding sideways on the chaining and derailing. Obviously they are only for single ring setups but simplifies the drivetrain by ditching a chain guide and can save a tonne of weight.