The Happy Thread

Duncy H

One tooth is thick and the next is thin and so on.....

...to match up with the alternating inner widths of the chain; the tooth profile is generally taller as well. It prevents the chain from sliding sideways on the chaining and derailing. Obviously they are only for single ring setups but simplifies the drivetrain by ditching a chain guide and can save a tonne of weight.

I see! Thanks :)

A stiffer, bolt in rear axle might be nice but would I really notice the difference?

That one - yes, it makes a huge difference on suspension frames specifically. But I also hate the way the MTB industry keeps making up stuff then marketing the crap out of it to sell more stuff.

• Like 2

That one - yes, it makes a huge difference on suspension frames specifically. But I also hate the way the MTB industry keeps making up stuff then marketing the crap out of it to sell more stuff.

Do you reckon that a bolt in axle (as per a pro2 / king fun bolts) would be feasible with a hope xc? Would it make as much difference as a true bolt through axle compared to the 9mm qr? As far as I recall the axle on the xc hub directly supports the hubshell and driveshell bearings, is this the same situation with the pro2 hub when configured to run on a through axle or is there an internal sleeve supporting them?

The wheels are turning ;)

Do you reckon that a bolt in axle (as per a pro2 / king fun bolts) would be feasible with a hope xc? Would it make as much difference as a true bolt through axle compared to the 9mm qr? As far as I recall the axle on the xc hub directly supports the hubshell and driveshell bearings, is this the same situation with the pro2 hub when configured to run on a through axle or is there an internal sleeve supporting them?

Only if you use baby M6 bolts, the ID of the bearings is only 10mm in that hub - might not yield much improvement over a QR unfortunately.

The xc hub uses 6001 2rs bearings which are 12mm id, might be able to go up to M8 bolts but then that's a piss fit on the dropouts. I wonder if it would be possible to machine a derailleur hanger with an integrated 10mm thread and then use a 10mm through axle to clamp it all up solid; would need to sleeve the bearings and spacers in the hub with a 1mm thick tube which could be interesting trying to machine!

The dropouts on the 5.5 are pretty burly so should be able to transfer the load reasonably well once clamped up.

DSCN0856.jpg

Crossing the road (in Swansea) earlier towards the gym holding a rugby ball, two lanes of cars at a traffic light. One is a 4x4 Police or 'Heddlu' car and the other is a gorgeous all matte black Audi RS4.

Green light, and what happens? The RS4 does 0-120 ish flat out down this straight road. A joy to behold!

The police car pulls into the gym car park, rolls down his window and stops next to me. He shouts, "You can't play with that ball here!" very angrily at me. Confused about what was going on I explained I'm not playing with it in the car park, I'm going to the gym. To which he calmly replied, "No I mean it's got an English rose on it, get a proper ball!" chuckles and drives off.

Should he have been more concerned about the RS4 tripling the speed limit?! :P

• Like 1

^ That is a gorgeous puppy!

Band released our EP on Friday, all done by us. Stoked with the response it has received from people.

Also slaved away for close to 24 hours to make a lyric video, stressed myself so much to get it done but I am so happy with how it turned out.

(Disclaimer: It's yelly music)

• Like 1

I was watching a repeat of Have I Got News For You or something the other night, at the end whilst they were talking through the credits the presenter said.

"I went up to bed the other night, before my wife.

Well just as she walked in the room I was pulling my boxers off. All very embarrassing.

My wife said "you're far too good to those dogs.""

I nearly pissed myself today when I remembered him saying that joke.

Tom, what is the breed?

Pedigree Whippet Ben, he's turning abit stubborn but I wouldn't change him for the world.

His Kennel Club 5 Generations 'family' tree came through today. Over half the list are previous champion show dogs! :) I know his dad won his group in Crufts a few years ago but I didn't realise he had so much in his bloodline.

• Like 1

That's why I'm still rocking 26", 9x1 with 135 x 9mm rear axle, it's worked perfectly for me for the last 18 years so why change now? A stiffer, bolt in rear axle might be nice but would I really notice the difference?

The change to a narrow wide ring I'm all for as it actually is a technological advance over a conventional single ring + guide.

Exactly the same here mate. Gonna be 1x10 soon though but only cos my x9 rear mech is on its last legs. Fancy a full zee setup

The zee rear mechs aren't brilliant, be better off with a SLX or XT.

I love my zee mechs, I've got them on my dh and xc bikes. However since switching from a zee mech to a xt mech its run gash so I reckon it isn't strictly speaking compatible with certain shifters. I'm going to revert back to a zee or Saint shifter.