Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

I highly doubt Giant will do that, they'll be losing a lot of their customers if they do... I've got a Reign, Trance, a DH Team which is the older glory and this Glory. 3 of them are 26". :P

Needless to mention the other 10 bikes I've got are also 26"

I've been reading up on Giant Maestro suspension, I've got it on 3 bikes. Whenever I see other full sussers I'm not sold on their suspension at all now. What are your views?

I'm somewhat the same with my intense evp (identical to Santa Cruz vpp) it has zero pedal bob when set up correctly and remains fully active.

I understand that it isn't as good on the big hits as single pivot but imho the advantages far outweigh that, besides which if you're wanting to go fast you should ideally be picking your line rather than simply trying to plough through stuff.

Edited by forteh

I highly doubt Giant will do that, they'll be losing a lot of their customers if they do... I've got a Reign, Trance, a DH Team which is the older glory and this Glory. 3 of them are 26". :P

Needless to mention the other 10 bikes I've got are also 26"

Sweet as a nut that is Matt, hows it performing?

Just back from my second ride on it at Innerleithen today on some of the DH runs and it's feeling much better today. The shocks feel like they've bedded in and I've made a few setup changes which have made it feel much better (changing sag, tyres pressures, seat height etc).

It's an amazing bike, climbs so well, is nice and light but an absolute rocket on the way down. Much more of a bike then I do justice to. Spent the latter part of the afternoon taking her over some jumps, drops and north shore stuff and by the end of the day I was really feeling at home on the bike.

I really like the bigger wheels, can't feel any drawbacks but they pick up pace noticeably quicker and I'm liking the slightly longer fork which makes it feel more confidence inspiring on the steep stuff.

I definitely made the right move and after a bank holiday of continuous sunshine I'm loving it!

I'd like to ride one of these 27.5 / 650b / 29er bikes to see what the fuss is about. I can understand the claimed advantages but I really like to be able to 'ride' / wrestle my bike rather than just plough over stuff, surely the extra gyroscopic effect makes them feel a bit cumbersome?

The difference 29er makes in xc is amazing, couldn't fault them. They're just not as good at single track or technical stuff though, it depends what you're after but I feel it sorta takes the fun out.

650b just feels like a 26" with more maneuverability, I'd quite happily ride one to be honest.

Also I got to test out the maestro suspension properly yesterday on the glory by going on a bit of an xc ride, and it is really incredible how it actually did feel like a hardtail when I needed it to be.

Edited by Jake.

Thought it was, thought you were on proper wheels already on the nukeproof?

Thought it was, thought you were on proper wheels already on the nukeproof?

Nah, the Mega was 26" and it's in the post today and on its way to a new owner.

I'd like to ride one of these 27.5 / 650b / 29er bikes to see what the fuss is about. I can understand the claimed advantages but I really like to be able to 'ride' / wrestle my bike rather than just plough over stuff, surely the extra gyroscopic effect makes them feel a bit cumbersome?

I'm not overly inclined to investigate the whole 29er thing. I've ridden a few and I get what they're for, but for me, up here it's not what I'm after. They feel quite serious and efficient, but not overly fun. There is a few long travel 29ers cropping up which are meant to be amazing but they still don't appeal to me. If you lived down south then a 29er probably does make most sense for XC type riding (i know you don't).

The whole thing with 650b is that it's not even a case of it being a slight advantage and what not….it's just here. If you're buying a new trail/enduro bike then anything made in the last year is 650b. I felt at first like it was being forced up riders for the sake of stimulating the bike market and whilst a portion of that might be true it genuinely is better (however incrementally). There isn't a mammoth difference moving to 650 over 26" but it is noticeably quicker, once you're up to speed you feel like you're flying more and whilst it doesn't smooth the trail in the sense that previous braking bumps etc become unnoticeable, it just rolls better so on that horrible light, stony stuff it doesn't feel as jarring allowing you to hold a quicker line. I don't think manoeuvrability is compromised at all and there is a level of grip especially in corners that is really confidence inspiring.

I hear lots of chat about it taking the fun out of riding….simply, that's bollocks. The chainstays are shorter on my Lapierre than my Nukeproof so it feels so much more flicky and nimble. In really tight, steep stuff it's really easy to pick the back wheel up and place it on the line you need. Also some steeper stuff is a touch easier as the slightly bigger wheel allows you to roll over more.

The one drawback I've found so far is misjudging corners due to riding in to them at a faster pace than previously but I've only had 2 rides so imagine you need time to adjust. I'm sure there are huge variables in 650b bikes (as there are 26") so a shit bike will still be exactly that, but for me the change of bike has been an improvement in every way (however it is a fairly different bike anyway).

The difference 29er makes in xc is amazing, couldn't fault them. They're just not as good at single track or technical stuff though, it depends what you're after but I feel it sorta takes the fun out.

650b just feels like a 26" with more maneuverability, I'd quite happily ride one to be honest.

Also I got to test out the maestro suspension properly yesterday on the glory by going on a bit of an xc ride, and it is really incredible how it actually did feel like a hardtail when I needed it to be.

I'm not suggesting 650b is less manoeuvrable than 26", but I've not heard many people saying it's more…how do you find that?

Matt, it's mainly through the turning circle and how much you can chuck it about really. It's teeny in comparison to a 26 but very noticeable when comparing to 29.

In my opinion, these are what wheel sizes suit best...

29er for hardtails/singlespeeds mainly xc

650b for all mountain/xc

26 for downhill, free ride, dirt jump etc.

It's like comparing mod to stock, mod is a lot more fun and flicky but stock can be seen as more "serious", then the trialsy 24s are seen as a perfect mix of both, exactly like 650b.

Just my view anyway..

I do wonder what a 650b trials bike would be like haha.

Did you just buy the frame matt? or is it a whole new bike?

Looks awesome. Got a lot of time for the Lapierre aesthetics.

I bought the frame and had to get some forks to fit the bigger wheels in (sold my old Pikes for a new set) and then just put some 27.5" rims on so it's pretty much a frame swap. I had barely any interest in my bike as a complete but have managed to sell the frame and forks, so just need to shift the Spank rims now.

Yeah that was one of the reason I wanted to change….it's genuinely one of their considerations when designing a bike. From the fully internal capable routing to lines of the frame shape they seem to care….granted how a bike performs is the most important thing, but it's nice to have a good looking bike also.

I'm still not 100% sold on the frame colours/graphics but this is the only frame you can buy. I think as the rest of my build is black only it doesn't look too garish.

Matt, it's mainly through the turning circle and how much you can chuck it about really. It's teeny in comparison to a 26 but very noticeable when comparing to 29.

In my opinion, these are what wheel sizes suit best...

29er for hardtails/singlespeeds mainly xc

650b for all mountain/xc

26 for downhill, free ride, dirt jump etc.

It's like comparing mod to stock, mod is a lot more fun and flicky but stock can be seen as more "serious", then the trialsy 24s are seen as a perfect mix of both, exactly like 650b.

Just my view anyway..

I do wonder what a 650b trials bike would be like haha.

I think that is the general consensus for bikes and wheel size now however I think DH will slowly shift.

I can't see any benefits to a 650b trials bike.

p4pb10881233.jpg

p4pb10881213.jpg

p4pb10866394.jpg

New bits on the bike :D

Picked up some boxxers but didn't like them so got the fox 40's instead. New brakes, new rear mech, new shifter, new stem. Feels like a completely different bike!

And for the keen eyes amongst you, yes that is a sram shifter with a saint rear mech ;)

• Like 2