Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

Was seriously considering spending £2k+ on a new bike but decided that actually I'd be doing it for the sake of it so instead spent ~£250 on the Meta to bring it a bit more up to date. Changed to 1x10 setup with an SLX Shadow+ rear mech, SLX shifter with display removed, XT 11-36 cassette and Superstar 34T narrow wide ring up front. While I was at it I also upgraded from Avid Juicy 5's (running on 185s) to SLX brakes with RT76 rotors, upped to 203 on the front and 180 on the rear.

Final change was that I've been messing round with my home made dropper for a while but wanted to try a remote system and since the Meta has a 27.2 post the options are limited. Thought I'd try the cheap option of a TMars Gravity Dropper copy for £47 which so far seems pretty good. The reviews were a bit mixed but mainly were either 'great for the money' or (reading between the lines) 'I have no idea how to work a spanner, set up a cable brake/gears and take my bike to a shop to fix a puncture'. As some people said the lever seemed a bit dodgy so I immediately paired the post to a slimmed down Suntour remote lockout lever which seems to work just dandy.

post-1823-0-11707900-1403035310_thumb.jp

post-1823-0-71375500-1403035311_thumb.jp

post-1823-0-79771300-1403035312_thumb.jp

post-1823-0-66480200-1403035313_thumb.jp

After fitting the Superstar ring I wasn't too happy with the chainline so added some spacer chainring bolt things I had which seemed to work a treat. Puts the ring chain close to the pivot cover things but still clear so no worries.

post-1823-0-66484800-1403035314_thumb.jp

post-1823-0-73366900-1403035315_thumb.jp

Final note to self: when fitting a new chain to a full sus bike as well as setting the length relative to the worst gearing set up also remove the air from the shock to see how the suspension acts on the chain length. Oops.

• Like 1

Every other tooth has a wider stepped section so it interlocks with the shape of the chain to reduce sideways movement, the teeth are also full height to prevent the chain from lifting off the ring. Developed by sram but not patented for some reason and now everyone makes them, I recently put a wolftooth middleburn direct mount on my intense and dropped almost a pound in weight simply by removing the chainguide!

I borrowed some 810mm wide El Guapo Ancho bars for the orange last night and what a difference. You can stick it around corners like a mad man. But only being 15mm rise they've taken all the playfulness out of the orange. Can bearly manual and sucks at bunnyhops. Undecided as I loved its mini hd bike feel but it's just so good on trail.

Little update on the fixie:

Fitted a new rear wheel, rear tyre, cranks and chainring. As well as recently switching back to a crosstop lever and narrower bars. New chain also.

44-16 feels fecking awesome for flying about the city.

fixie_zps76cd9148.jpg

P.S sorry for the photo, it's painful to look at.

Edited by harmertrials

I'm running some of the superstar yardstick bars. Think they measured at 960mm when new. Epic stability but useless if it gets a bit tight and techy.

I've borrowed some 30mm rise 780mm Renthal Fatbars a mate had spare (he bought them for his Scott Scale 29er then moaned it rode like shit?! Figure that) so they've only had one ride.

Fitted them this afternoon and hit the woods. Beast mode : Enabled.

They work so perfectly with the Five, got all it's playful nature back and probably then some. Can absolutely rail it through the berms now.

I've borrowed some 30mm rise 780mm Renthal Fatbars a mate had spare (he bought them for his Scott Scale 29er then moaned it rode like shit?! Figure that) so they've only had one ride.

Fitted them this afternoon and hit the woods. Beast mode : Enabled.

They work so perfectly with the Five, got all it's playful nature back and probably then some. Can absolutely rail it through the berms now.

But can you get up to the top as quickly? :D

Bought this today with the aim of losing some timber and getting loads fitter. 3AF0970E-CA30-4D82-8743-2B135BF500E5_zps

I packed in doing comps earlier on this year due to weight gain and being well unfit after breaking my foot. Think a massive cut down in beer and fry ups is in order, my crap consumption is like something off of supersize v super skinny. I want to lose at least 3 stone by sorting out my diet and riding this. Got an mtb as well, but I wanted something that rolls better on the road and I can keep a decent average speed up on. On my last road bike I could manage 18mph, so my aim is for 16mph until I get fitter

• Like 1

Not a fan of my pink pedals but they feel so nice N LONG.
Thinking about white tape to go with it, possibly some TT base bars.

Running 42:17 its alright for stop and go but its too low to carry my natural pace

New seat

NgoGur2.jpg

Edited by ItsMatt
  • Like 1

I couldn't recommend 44-16 more. Coming from 48-18 it is ever so slightly harder going, but boy can you fly.

Are you fixed?

I flipped to freewheel, want to get round to learning fixed but as I commute to college and everywhere I decided to just flip because I'm a bit of an edgy guy when it comes to riding on the road and splitting cars and stuff, I don't like to take my time going places and learning fixed with traffic and hills just ain't an option. also I need straps or clips.

recently been keeping my legs moving constantly even when slowing and not putting any power down

• Like 1