Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

Been on the road bike a bit recently as I have no other choice. I'll get a picture up in a bit, she's an old steel Bianchi steed. I have a true love for Bianchi as I rode one to Paris with my dad when I was 14 and entered a road race on one as a kid.

My new one, well not strictly new. I got it 3 years ago. Instead of downtube gears it's got brake lever gears which is much nicer.

Got this strava time on it yesterday riding home from college, was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't expecting it.

Screenshot_2014-06-27-16-25-20_zpsnvrl4k

• Like 1

Good choice on the wheel upgrade, it the only thing that really lets them down. So smart for the money (Y)

Cheers man, when the guy said he'd do to wheel upgrade for 500 all in I was sold to be honest, the better bar tape was a must too. I've wanted a road bike for a few years but never seen anything too grab me like that did. Only thing I might do is flip the stem for a bit higher bar position after a 24 mile ride this evening my necks creaking a tad. Might throw some non strappy pedals on there too.

Not fancy some SPD's?

Sort of, but it just makes it all abit more faffy, if you get me? Then I'll need shoes to suit, then I might as well upgrade the five .....

I just like to jump on the bike and go :P

Do it! Toe clips/straps are horrible horrible horrible

I loathe them soo much. I can't avoid rolling them every time I try to put them on. They suck dick so much.

Sort of, but it just makes it all abit more faffy, if you get me? Then I'll need shoes to suit, then I might as well upgrade the five .....

Trust me, SPD's are so worth it on a roadie - I genuinely don't think I could ride one without a set! You'll be amazed at the difference it makes, promise

A set of PD-M520 pedals will set you back under £20 and you'll find a decent set of road/xc shoes on offer/clearance for under £50

imagejpg1_zps62ec717d.jpg

Most recent picture of the five, due a good service and new chain this weekend all being well. I can't rate those renthal bars enough, it's turned a good bike into an awesome bike.

Now if you put a real short FR Stem on, it'll make it so much more responsive on the downhill front! I once made the mistake of on my old XC Bike I had 800mm bars with a 30mm 0 degrees stem and by having that setup it constantly pulls wheelies going uphill. But that's not necessarily a bad thing IMO :P But for downhill, it turned a shire horse into a raging bull!

Edited by TOMTRIALS123

Why would I take offence to being asked if I was short? :huh:

I'm around 5'8-5'9. Its a 54 with a 90mm stem. Not had a proper go on it but so far it feels fine to stand on with the reach on the bars and pedals.

I think its maybe becuase it has quite a small head tube? Most modern road frames have longer integrated headtubes which make the frames look bigger. (like Toms B-Twin (even if it is bigger in the first place)) Its actually a TT bike. Beggers cant be choosers.

I've changed form a 110mm stem to an 80mm stem on my roadie, it's transformed the feel and made it so much more comfortable to ride. Stopped my neck ache and back ache straight away. I moved my hoods on the bars so the top of the bars sits level and the hoods sit just right. And a re wrap of bar tape as well to something more comfortable. Could do with some lighter wheels though I think, will get my speeds up a bit I reckon

Edited by bing

Could do with some lighter wheels though I think, will get my speeds up a bit I reckon

Not necessarily the case. Lighter wheels aid acceleration (and climbing of course) but heavier wheels will help you maintain a higher speed due to the extra inertia/momentum. Just finished reading 'The Hour' by Michael Hutchinson and some people deliberately ran heavier wheels for their attempts to help maintain the speed once there.

No pics of my bike yet but I just sorted a cassette that'll take a Hope T-rex (when funds allow) and a Zee 10spd shifter. All that's left is a saddle, post and chain and I'll be good to go!

EDIT: Cheapo seatpost sourced until I can afford a dropper in a month or two.

No pics of my bike yet but I just sorted a cassette that'll take a Hope T-rex (when funds allow) and a Zee 10spd shifter. All that's left is a saddle, post and chain and I'll be good to go!

EDIT: Cheapo seatpost sourced until I can afford a dropper in a month or two.

Be careful of what rear mech you use as many won't accommodate the T-Rex, and even if they do it can stretch them a bit far. I personally don't think they're really necessary if you have something like a 32t chainring up front.

There's some pretty steep mountains up around this way and on a 27.5" bike I've never ran out of gears going uphill on a standard cassette.