The House Thread

dann2707

45 minutes ago, manuel said:

https://www.toolstation.com/plastic-ground-stabiliser/p17975?store=BS&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dc&pcrid=560261087208&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA09eQBhCxARIsAAYRiyk2KfJbXwdrkyvqIvBji0rV4ilyHKkKBdqMMendTpKVSrLCXgsPSD8aAvoTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Something like this? my sister has something like this on her drive and its all grass and looks good (think there might be a green version on screw fix). Seems to do the job, your slope is quite severe though

Yeah that's the stuff, or at least very similar, but it's not good on uneven ground - well, that's what installation instructions suggest on similar products. This kind of product would be the best option if it worked though.

Just found out our old solicitor, whom we left as they were shit, have actually quiet been working and decided to bill us for checks, which we asked for in december, and have since signed up with a new solicitor, who got them to us in 3 days. 

Oh and the vendors solicitors have actually been dealing with our OLD solicitor, not the new one despite being told otherwise.

so now we seem to owe a solicitor we split up with weeks ago £500, and have to dance with the law ombudsman thingy to dispute.

ahhh i remeber rental life fondly

I'm angry, sorry if that reads like giberish

Edited by Davetrials

Since Dave's having a rant I feel like I should have one myself about council tax.

I bought my house in November 2019 and registered for Council tax. I got a letter saying I'd get 6 months free because I was doing a major refurb. 2 months later I get a letter saying the rules have changed and I had to pay 100% council tax and wouldn't get any relief. Now I've had the house for over 2 years and still haven't finished the work so my council tax bill is going to be 200% I just don't see how any of that is fair? I wanted the house to be finished within 12 months but due to many many factors it just hasn't been possible. I've been doing most of the work by myself, the price of materials has gone through the roof, we've had a world wide pandemic that slightly impacted things (understatement) I just don't see why I should have to pay double the council tax for a house I can't live in. It's not like it benefits me in anyway for it to unoccupied.

I emailed asking for some sort of help and I might have told them that I'm living there by myself to get a 25% rates reduction while I get the place finished. They now want me to send energy bills showing that I'm living there. There must be a way around this but I'm just too pissed off with it all to think straight and I can't seem to be able to speak to a person that has a reasonable attitude and will help me out.

On 2/26/2022 at 5:01 PM, manuel said:

Why is it 200% ? 

Long Term Empty Property Premium

An additional amount of Council Tax (a Premium) is charged when a property has been empty and unfurnished for two years or more, regardless of any change in ownership.

The Government introduced an amendment to the legislation in November 2018 – The Rating (Property in Common Occupation) and Council Tax (Empty Dwellings) Act 2018, which allows councils to further increase the Council Tax premium on long term empty unfurnished properties.

For properties that have been unoccupied and unfurnished for more than two years, a premium of 100% will be applied. This means that 200% Council Tax is payable for such properties.

For properties that have been unoccupied and unfurnished for more than 5 years, a premium of 200% will be applied. This will mean that 300% Council Tax is payable for such properties.

To ensure the Council Tax is correct, please inform the Council Tax office when your property is either, sold or let providing full details of the new tenants or owner.

Empty homes strategy in Sefton

On 2/20/2022 at 6:53 AM, JT! said:

I have my consultation with 1roof on Tuesday...

Consultation went well, now we really just sit and wait up to two years for the right home to show up.

Pretty much.

Funny how you get an email about 4.45pm every Friday, isn't it?

I once chased my solicitor for an update on a Wednesday. Within 5 minutes I'd had a massive email sent to me, which started with point number 2 and was missing point 6. So basically they hastily deleted 1 and 6, had already done all the work, they were just going to wait until Friday to send the email.

This all meant I made 2 'steps' that week rather than just one. So I guess my top tip is badger the f**k out of them!

• Like 2

After waiting weeks for the weather to pick up and work to ease so I had a few days available I finally got my pull-up bar up and the door fitted in the back of the garage which makes me happy. 

What doesn't make me happy is we had a new boiler fitted end of last week and I got a message off the wife first thing to say the heating hadn't come on, got home to find the pressure at zero. 

Refilled the system but got to keep an eye on it now. If there's a leak it can only be somewhere downstairs under the floorboards but could just be air in the system somewhere still f**king it up as the pipework in this house is a joke...... 

20220323_125831.jpg

20 hours ago, isitafox said:

After waiting weeks for the weather to pick up and work to ease so I had a few days available I finally got my pull-up bar up and the door fitted in the back of the garage which makes me happy. 

What doesn't make me happy is we had a new boiler fitted end of last week and I got a message off the wife first thing to say the heating hadn't come on, got home to find the pressure at zero. 

Refilled the system but got to keep an eye on it now. If there's a leak it can only be somewhere downstairs under the floorboards but could just be air in the system somewhere still f**king it up as the pipework in this house is a joke...... 

20220323_125831.jpg

Crikey what is wrong with a simple over the door one like everyone else in the world?! :laugh: