Jaf bikes - 24" Street Frame and Fork.

Rob Leech

How do,

putting this up on behalf of a customer, so let us know what you think (Y).

Geo - frame - 1025 wb, 364 c/s, +25 bb, 73 deg h/a

fork - 425 crown to axle, 30mm offset

img1747e.jpg

img1743jc.jpg

img1735fk.jpg

img1748ws.jpg

img1752kp.jpg

img1761w.jpg

img1757g.jpg

img1760cl.jpg

Any questions, let us know. Will have some fully built pics pretty soon :).

Cheers all,

Josh.

• Like 3

Looks sweet, though the 425 C-A on the forks seems a bit massive? Although if the geometry of the frame is designed around this I assume it helps get the bars nice and high without a silly amount of spacers or am I wrong?

EDIT: Dropouts on forks look nice

Looks decent, but the last photo of the forks make them look like they where made with the light turned off :P

Left fork leg looks like an SL and the right looks like an Urban :P ?
And the right drop out on the fork leg isn't centre.

I'm sure they are symmetrical in person but the photo's don't do it much justice.

Looks sweet, though the 425 C-A on the forks seems a bit massive? Although if the geometry of the frame is designed around this I assume it helps get the bars nice and high without a silly amount of spacers or am I wrong?

EDIT: Dropouts on forks look nice

Yeah, I thought the same, but the guy is used to running sus-forks, so wanted to keep the height. Also keep the effective head angle the same with the integrated headtube :).

Cheers chap,

Josh.

Looks decent, but the last photo of the forks make them look like they where made with the light turned off :P

Left fork leg looks like an SL and the right looks like an Urban :P ?

And the right drop out on the fork leg isn't centre.

I'm sure they are symmetrical in person but the photo's don't do it much justice.

Ha ha, I know. My camera skills are certainly lacking atm (the joys of long workshop days :P).

I can assure you they're symectrical ;).

Edited by Rob Leech
  • Like 1

Nice job! How are you creating the bends in the tubing?

Cheers chap. It's pretty basic atm. Pack the tubing with sand and use an external spring to stop any crushing/stretching of the inside and outside walls, pop it in the tube bender using the digital protactor to measure the angles, job done :). I'll be making dies to suit the tubing and radia to speed things up once the test period is over with them (Y). I have already made dies for the stays with the frames and it makes things so much quicker

perfect for an ns fundamental fork.

that frame looks awesome to be honest

sg66_mc.jpg

Really? (sorry for such a large picture btw :P)

Appreciate that (Y).

Cheers all,

Josh.

Both look great dude, nice one!

You'll have mail in a few minutes squire, things are progressing (Y).

• Like 1

I need to try this sand packing technique, how do you plug the ends? I need to finish my hydraulic bender, I have dies but just never got round to actually sorting it all out!

Works a treat aslong as you pack it seriously tight, any air pockets or voids allow it to move when pressure is put onto the tube, leading to crushing/stretching (Y).

I weld on a section of plate (I always make it around 50mm longer than it need to be to allow this part to be cut off to get rid of any unnessisarly heated material (sorry about the spelling, I'm a welder, can;t help it :P) onto the ends, but you could make a plug similar to a head doctor that woul do the trick :).

i meant the frame being perfect for a ns fork,but yours is nice,too.

you need to get a mandrel bender though :wink2:

Ahh, fair play.

I had one in my previous workshop, but that went with the other guy that was there unfortunately :(.

Once the dies are made, they'll come out just fine :).

Edited by Rob Leech

Why do you have the dropouts sloped at an angle? Wouldnt that change the geometry ever so slightly depending on gear ratio? I take it theres a reason for not having them completely horizontal?

How is the seat clamped if theres no cut out section? Still to do that?

Thats going to feel quite long with that geo I think. Is it build for a tall person?

That front end geo is virtually the same as the 2013 Fourplay - I don't think it'd be that long in comparison to some of the other 24" frames out there in fairness.

Then its going to be 11mm longer at the front end?

1025, 73, 25, 364

1025, 73, 25, 375

Feel quite long compared to a 2013 fourplay then...

Having popped down to check out the Jaf setup earlier, I got to have a look at this thing in the flesh and its seriously sweet. Lines are so clean its unreal, with particularly tidy welds too.

Uncut seat tube is for use with a wedge-type seatpost (think old school headset style) so doesnt need a clamp/slotting (Y)

Weight felt good and was stiff as you like so no worries there and the forks look tidy too.

Ross, the frame's been designed around the longer fork so is no different than running the extra length in spacers really, just means you won't need so many and so shouldn't look too gimpy :P

• 1 year later...