Why Is Trials Not Bmx?

Davetrials

Bmx is a massively developing sport, the trick combination's are pretty much endless. Trials however, tricks are not necessarily the aim, dont mean the whole trials scene here at all, but alot of the focus is on height or distance rather than tricks. For a member of the public, watching someone over and over again hop up a wall then hop off may get boring, but on that same wall a bmxer could be throwing any number of combinations off it which would vary again and again.

There is alot more interest in BMX as a whole and while trials is growing so is BMXing and every other sport. For trials to get bigger I think it needs to have some more variation, trying things a little different shouldnt be seen as a bad thing, more as a progression.

Brighton aint ready is an amazing idea and video, but as whoever said about if it was trials it would be an endless video of gaps and sidehops, is right. Which is a shame in its self.

I ride street myself, but its way more bmx influenced than trials and thats because I do enjoy the variations and its just something a bit different.

Check ride to glory out for an example of a good bmx jam vid.

There is culture in BMX, which isn't really something that trials has, if I'm going to be honest.

I totally understand the thing about 'big air' action sports vs. techy stuff; like the Ashton backflip vs sidehops/gaps/tech. It's kinda like that for us B-Boys; people immediately ask us to do either: headspin, or backflip. Pretty gay isn't it? Considering backflips are aerial *tricks* that aren't even an element of B-boying(Ok, fine... "breakdancing" for you commerical fags. It's still the wrong name for the dance). Yet... people still go nuts at a shitty generic backflip and don't give much credit to the ridiculously hard technical style sets a lot of the B-Boys are pumping out these days. Popularity with the general public is a powerful powerful tool for any sport. Sadly, it is standard human nature to go 'OMGZZZ' when they see some super speedy adrenaline pumped high-risk action move. Ordinary people can't appreciate the subtleties of most sports, that's the sad reality. The only true way to appreciate a sport is to do it yourself and understand what goes on inside it. Spectating as a third-party can only take you so far...

On the note of 24in riding. Yes, it's hella stella impressive. I can't do that... However, as Mark pointed out, people do treat it like the Second Coming; like the Messiah has come. I think Danny himself would happily admit that his style is *hugely* influenced by BMX; with some trials flavour. It's borrowing from another sport, essentially.... BMX... Techncially, what Danny is doing isn't really even trials. It's a mishmash, that is impressive; but again it is not a totally new thing. Same with Akrigg; these dudes borrowed a huge amount of stuff from a rival bike sport to achieve their unique status in trials. But, this must be said: 24in trials/bmx hybrid riding is still *nowhere* near as flowsome and creative as *real* BMX. 24" is watered down BMX mashed into trials. I don't mean it in a derogatory way, but it's truth.

There's plenty of examples of sports borrowing from other sports. The more it gets passed through, the more watered down it gets. Go compare a regular parkour dude's backflips to a gymnast's backflips. 24" really isn't the second coming however dope it is. If you really love that kind of riding, then go watch more BMX dvds.

You wouldn't see that because Chris Boardman and British Cycling have worked really hard to make sure it's the most aerodynamic kit possible, and is completely optimum for Chris's riding. He actually wore the disabled athlete's kit at the '08 Olympics because he said he could move his legs up in the stroke fractionally easier. That kit is 100% designed for purpose, and offers a real advantage to them, which is again why their actual skinsuits at the Beijing games were burnt afterwards so no-one would know how they'd made them better. I somehow doubt that's quite the same as Koxx putting a f**king horrific logo on a generic pair of shorts, is it? (Same goes for swimming as well, seeing as you mentioned it. Again, thinking of the 'shark suit' they made for Ian Thorpe and some other swimmers (And for runners too, e.g. that woman who wore that 'hoody' sorta top to improve her aerodynamics))

When I'm saying trials clothes and shoes look shit, I'm not saying people shouldn't wear products that improve their riding, I just meant that they look awful. The designs are terrible for logos/colourways, the clothing generally looks pretty weird anyway (strange cuts), and trials shoes just look shit. That's obviously a personal preference again, but it also explains part of the image problem trials has. When people think of BMXers, they think jeans, T-shirt, hoody, flat-soled skate sorta shoes, which a lot of 'normal' people wear all the time. As a result, it seems more accessible to normal people, and is something they can relate to more.

EDIT: Re: Comp riders - how come so many riders copy other riders lines through sections? There's always riders watching other riders go through sections. I'd say that people who just go out and ride natural are probably more creative than comp riders just because you have more options, whereas with comps you're limited. It's still miles ahead of street in terms of how creative you have to be, but again, from my experiences at UK comps most people ride sections in the same way in the same style/manner.

I see your point, but people laugh at Gilles for wearing clothing he considers the optimum, whats the difference there? Why do BMXers wear such tight jeans? They looks like they are wearing leotards? I personally think trials clobber looks better than a lot of the BMXy fashion trends I see now.

I still see people complaining about comps being serious....have you ever been to any other type of race? I have been to some BMX races and they are farrr more competative than most trials comps I have been too with twice as many pushy parents as well!

I live for comps! They are the most fun to be had on two wheels! I would hope that people don't find me too competative and put them off? :ermm:

I see that you wear what you want really as long you feel the benifits from it. And i agree that it'a the individuals' mind that set apart from everyone elses. Way i see is is if you can ride anything on a bike then do that. Instead of complaining "Oh he should ride a bmx instead"

I see your point, but I can say the same for BMX. Why do they wear such tight jeans they looks like they are wearing leotards? I personally think trials clobber looks better than a lot of the BMXy fashion trends I see now.

Kind of agreed, but whether you want to admit it or not, its the truth,those jeans are a part of fashion these days (granted, not a fashion im into).

As for part of the reason BMX is pushing itself so much than trials, is down to what the people are payed for, the few people who do make a living off trials, generally make it doing demos and/or competitions. there not really payed to push themselves to the limit as far as going balls out and big are concerned. Whereas in the cooler sports (BMX/FMX/skateboarding etc) theres people who are payed, just to as big and balls out as they can on DVD. and those that are payed to compete, the competitions are won by the guys who go the biggest and most balls out. as opposed to the slightly less cool sports(trials, bmx racing etc) where its down to fitness and technique, and the people that are payed to do those sports, are payed to be as fit as they can and develop the best technique they can to get results.

Okay i started to read this and now it's WAY to much for me to keep reading. I'm only small. :P

Well people say about wearing all the branded clothing etc etc and emo styles getting all the emo girls.

Try going out in some jeans and a tee with out a lid then?

Be your own style?

Recently i found its to much effort to ride into town to do some riding on a weekday after school. So in stead i meet up with some bmxers a few skaters and maybe the odd guy on a trials. Then we all go down to the local skate park and have a laugh. The ramps seem to high for me to pedal up or side hop or any trials type move, except from landing to bash then up. So i thought i might try bmx style and do a bunny hop. I done it easy. My mates on the bmx says its easy to do on a bmx. I let them have a go on my bike and they can bunny hop about 3 inchs. From this they relies the difference and appreciate what I'm learning.

I seem to find that doing more streety moves like these are sometimes more impressive and fun to-do. I would never want to quit trials for bmx. But from doing this it makes me want a 24" trials.

I think instead of people always following the top pro to be exactly like them. And no offense to comp riders, but them always try to be the best and better than everyone else does not help. In my opinion if everybody choose to do what they want and not follow people it might make trials more interesting rather than TGS or comp style.

Like now instead of copying people i do my own thing. Yes i get and take advice on how to do thing but then i try to make my own style from it.

Hope i have helped. :)

Edited by bigamac

Check ride to glory out for an example of a good bmx jam vid.

thats the one i meant, its f**king awsome

I see your point, but people laugh at Gilles for wearing clothing he considers the optimum, whats the difference there? Why do BMXers wear such tight jeans? They looks like they are wearing leotards? I personally think trials clobber looks better than a lot of the BMXy fashion trends I see now.

I still see people complaining about comps being serious....have you ever been to any other type of race? I have been to some BMX races and they are farrr more competative than most trials comps I have been too with twice as many pushy parents as well!

I live for comps! They are the most fun to be had on two wheels! I would hope that people don't find me too competative and put them off? :ermm:

they get you laid by drunk scene girls.

And i think ull find the majority of bmxers hate skinnys. and despise the fact theve been give this sterotype.

Edited by The Joker

kinda stupid topic,

trials is a competition sport, bmx is mainly just having a laugh on a bike.

comp riders wear the gear because its easy to ride in,

trials has way too much conflict between people who ride street, natural, 24",mod, stock, its stupid everyone moans about each other,

just ride FFS! we all have the same basic objective.. to jump up, over, across etc.. stuff

so just ride, doesnt matter if you prefer street or natty its all the same its trials,

you dont see bmx park riders hating street bmx riders im sure?

thats the one i meant, its f**king awsome

they get you laid by drunk scene girls.

And i think ull find the majority of bmxers hate skinnys. and despise the fact theve been give this sterotype.

sound's abit like the stereotype of comp riders wear lycra and pixie shoes eh?

Trials is a bit boring now.

I remember 5/6 years ago when trials was done on an XC bike that was too small for you and it was all about trying wacky shit and new designs.

It just seems that trials is square now, and the other thing that really winds me up is the complete lack of popper knowledge about how the bike works and how to fix/build/set it up ! Trials riders seem to be able to ride bikes that are held together with zip ties and lolly sticks and still think there bikes look cool.....

Where as BMX is very image conscious, and is universal to chavs and more alternative people. And BMX's can still be used as a reasonable form of transport, as apposed to a trials bike which is f**king useless....

Also, how is Trials a Comp Sport ?

Completely the opposite IMO, I've never been into comps or anything to do with groups or racing because I hate to feel controlled or pushed into things. Which is why I got into trials, it was different and a bit weird.

It would be great to go out and ride, and reel in the emo lasses :P

haha, but no, it's not about that for me and riding. It's about being able to get to places you'd not think of going on a bike.

I think trials isn't as big as BMX because people can't appreciate it properly. People don't appreciate how much skill it takes to gap 8, 9 ft.

I guess people like watching things and thinking, 'shit how close was he to dying?'

An interesting progression for trials would be combining the philosophy of parkour with trials.

I suppose that's where I want my riding to lead.

Ha, the irony. In which sport do people dress up in team strips, try and be 'pro' (Riding street in pixie boots and team jerseys? Really?), get concerned exclusively with winning comps, give a shit about measuring how 'big' they can go to try and impress other people? Hint, it's not an acronym.

I don't mean it like that, I mean BMX is more fast paced and exciting which appeals to the majority just like football, whereas Trials is more like Golf, an equal amount of skill is involved but at a lot slower paced and it seems less interesting to the mainstream audience.

I think trials isn't as big as BMX because people can't appreciate it properly. People don't appreciate how much skill it takes to gap 8, 9 ft

(9 feet gaps dont take much skill, if you simply dont have the brawn(SP?) you just wont do it, no amount of technique is gonna help you float across gaps)

'Onzaboymark'

"You wouldn't see that because Chris Boardman and British Cycling have worked really hard to make sure it's the most aerodynamic kit possible, and is completely optimum for Chris's riding. He actually wore the disabled athlete's kit at the '08 Olympics because he said he could move his legs up in the stroke fractionally easier. That kit is 100% designed for purpose, and offers a real advantage to them, which is again why their actual skinsuits at the Beijing games were burnt afterwards so no-one would know how they'd made them better."

If I may contribute, without wishing to offend?

I competed in my local cycling clubs, (Rhyl Road Club) 'open' 10 mile time trial in 1984. For those who know, it was a 'float'.

I thought I was doing well. But as I crossed the line, Chris Boardman flew past me, like he'd been shot out of a cannon.

I'd achieved a fairly respectable time, Chris started 4 minute's after me, yet still managed to thrash me.

I have never, (then or since) witnessed such a level of natural ability such as his.

He could have been dressed as Mr Blobby, yet he would have still probably achieved his record time.

We were 15! Astounding.

middleageman.

Edited by middleageman

Surely there's two questions here...

Competition riding is one thing. Clothing is function first above everything else. There's nothing less fun than riding in wet jeans at the end of a tough day. Riders in competitions are bound by the route, but are inventive for sure.

Street riders tend to wear very different clobber as fits. Who cares if there's a bit of a Ribo or Monty boot sticking out from under the bottom of some jeans? What matters is function - as to whatever suits the rider.

And how can people complain about trials riders nicking tricks from BMX? Every sport nicks tricks from others. Watching riders like Lenosky and Chase mix bits of slopestyle, trials, BMX, all sorts. That's life, that's progression. The alternative is that you start saying you can't do certain tricks because they've already been done.

Ultimatley what makes BMX companies able to do the things they do is the fact they have money. Lots of money. There's several BMX magazines, people make decent DVDs which sell in numbers, and lots and lots and lots of bikes and accessories are sold. Trials companies, even the biggest ones, don't have that sort of cash to support riders. There also arn't the big show case events which gets coverage, which gets sponsorship dollars, and attracts new riders. Trials clothing may not be the coolest stuff around, but that's because no-one makes trials aligned clothing which works for the mass market. Again, it's volume, it's availability, it's all of those things.

Go back to 2000-2003 and trials was genuinely huge. The simple reason was lots of coverage. Many, many pages in MBUK, segments in big selling videos, and lots of riders doing trials one way or another. People would queue for hours to see the trials shows at Bike, and you'd get people spectating at Nationals to see those stars.

Then the media coverage all but stopped. The bulk of what's in MBUK is centred around the Ashton/Diamondback line up. There's very limited trials coverage in mainstream videos. The trials community is very inward looking, and self-serving. There's few who try to break outside of that. Where are the interesting videos, let alone commercial DVDs? Who's approaching magazines with ideas for features? Who's trying to get that recognition one way or another?