The Car Thread

MadManMike

Well, if you want to wave willies... I did buy mine first, I just haven't fit them because I'm waiting for my roll center kit to be built. ;)

Standard ClioSport.net Sheep Mods;

Skoda splitter

Silverlights

Lows

Turninis

Cup/Trophy Spoiler

I think we both check off that entire list now? With the exception of you need sweet rims. I know there are a couple of other bits we've both done now but the telltale signs are there.

Edited by Haz

What's the deal with the roll centre kit? Does it move it up or down? Paste a link if that's easier!

Edit: found one on pure motorsport. Looks nice, but I'd rather have a spare car for that money, wow! Does anyone do a wishbone inclination angle correction spacer (or similar) for the lower ball joint? You could also do the same thing by moving the top mounts outwards, and that would give better camber correction in roll too.

What's the deal with the roll centre kit? Does it move it up or down? Paste a link if that's easier!

Edit: found one on pure motorsport. Looks nice, but I'd rather have a spare car for that money, wow! Does anyone do a wishbone inclination angle correction spacer (or similar) for the lower ball joint? You could also do the same thing by moving the top mounts outwards, and that would give better camber correction in roll too.

Not as extravagant as the PureMotorSport kit, and not as dear! They are modified standard hubs which look something like the below.

10072587593_35283d3afa.jpg

10072582263_1337187444.jpg

Essentially it helps correct the roll center after you lower the car, by spacing the hubs and leveling the wishbones again. Only time will tell if they are as good as everyone who has fitted them says... (not teaching you how to suck eggs Adam, I know you are infinitely more wise to these things than I, just for other forum user's benefit.)

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Because racecar. Looks like a simpler way to do it, bump steer correction too :)

Be very interesting to see what you think of the kit, there are pros and cons to such a low roll centre and I think people tend to bum the shit out of new stuff just because they paid for it and want it to work, haha. I reckon most of the difference people can feel is due to the bearings than the roll centre adjustment...

Purchased some Porsche Boxster Rear Calipers for my LC (996.352.421 & 996.352.422) which I plan to use with 312mm discs on the front. I'm now stumbling across threads where people say they aren't any good and the piston size is too small? Should I go for something else?

Dave

EDIT: Oops, looks as if I've bought the wrong calipers anyway!: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/the-definitive-brake-thread-for-8l-a3-s3-owners-and-other-golf4-platform-cars.96917/

EDIT 2: Note to self: Purchase Boxster FRONT calipers and reverse: 986.351.421, 986.351.422

Edited by David

Those joints don't look very road use friendly >_<

Weather seals are available for the rose joints, but yeah, they won't last forever. Replacement bearings are easy enough to get a hold of and replace.

Because racecar. Looks like a simpler way to do it, bump steer correction too :)

Be very interesting to see what you think of the kit, there are pros and cons to such a low roll centre and I think people tend to bum the shit out of new stuff just because they paid for it and want it to work, haha. I reckon most of the difference people can feel is due to the bearings than the roll centre adjustment...

From my limited understanding of roll centers, I see no reason moving it back closer to the OEM spec can be a bad thing. When the kit and coilovers are on I'll take it to be aligned and corner weighted, I think that alone will make a bigger difference.

Haz, is that kit being made by Adrian by any chance?

I have a sneaking suspicion it is. A guy called Mark from the Northloop forums is running the group buy on CS.net, I've only been dealing with him.

Purchased some Porsche Boxster Rear Calipers for my LC (996.352.421 & 996.352.422) which I plan to use with 312mm discs on the front. I'm now stumbling across threads where people say they aren't any good and the piston size is too small? Should I go for something else?

Dave

EDIT: Oops, looks as if I've bought the wrong calipers anyway!: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/the-definitive-brake-thread-for-8l-a3-s3-owners-and-other-golf4-platform-cars.96917/

EDIT 2: Note to self: Purchase Boxster FRONT calipers and reverse: 986.351.421, 986.351.422

Or just buy some LCR Brembos? Discs and pads are relatively cheap and at least you'll get more braking power out of them..

From my limited understanding of roll centers, I see no reason moving it back closer to the OEM spec can be a bad thing. When the kit and coilovers are on I'll take it to be aligned and corner weighted, I think that alone will make a bigger difference.

Yeah, if it's being used as a road car then OE roll centre is a good shout. But then again so are OE shocks IMO!

Woman wanted one, or a new Discovery this came in at work cheap so I bought it.

Hugely unimpressed with it, it looks great but it's total turd to drive. So twitchy and the suspension is rock hard, I think she will stick to her Beetle and order a Disco when the new one is launched.

I picked it up a week ago, work kicked off about it when they realised what it was actually worth. They might just let me give it back if I pay a months worth of depreciation. I haven't paid them in full yet because I've been waiting for her money to transfer.

I honestly prefer driving the Panda, it's just better in every way other than looks.

Edited by Pashley26